[comp.sys.mac.system] Incompatibilities with 7.0x

tigger@freezer.it.udel.edu (david faust) (04/11/91)

I have looked at the stuff in the sumex-aim ftp site on incompatibilities
with System 7.0x but would like to know if other people are having the same
problems I am. I can't get MacWrite 5.0 or Compact Pro to work under System
7.0b4. MacWrite starts to load and then the error message "Application Unkown
has unexpectedly quit." Compact Pro works just great until you try and create
a new archive. Then it bombs too. Anyone else have favorite programs they would
like to add? I will keep a list and email or post. Thanks,
Dave
* David Faust | tigger@freezer.acs.udel.edu  | Some professors can only be     *
*             | tigger@chopin.udel.edu       | classified as weenies!!!!       *

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) (04/11/91)

tigger@freezer.it.udel.edu (david faust) writes:

>I have looked at the stuff in the sumex-aim ftp site on incompatibilities
>with System 7.0x but would like to know if other people are having the same
>problems I am. I can't get MacWrite 5.0 or Compact Pro to work under System
>7.0b4. MacWrite starts to load and then the error message "Application Unkown
>has unexpectedly quit." Compact Pro works just great until you try and create
>a new archive. Then it bombs too. Anyone else have favorite programs they would
>like to add? I will keep a list and email or post. Thanks,
>Dave
>--

I don't have MacWriteII, but CompactPro works fine under 7.0f2c2.
Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, net.god {retired}) (04/12/91)

tigger@freezer.it.udel.edu (david faust) writes:

>I can't get MacWrite 5.0 or Compact Pro to work under System
>7.0b4. MacWrite starts to load and then the error message "Application Unkown
>has unexpectedly quit."

Macwrite 5.01, dated April 1988, seems to work fine under 7.0f2. I didn'
take a long look, but I can open, write and save short docs.

>Compact Pro works just great until you try and create
>a new archive. Then it bombs too.

Version 1.30 works great under 7.0f2 here. I use it all the time.

--
Chuq Von Rospach  >=<  chuq@apple.com  >=<  GEnie: CHUQ  >=<  AppleLink: CHUQ
     SFWA Nebula Awards Reports Editor    =+=    Editor, OtherRealms

Recommended reading: XENOCIDE by Orson Scott Card (with reservations, August);
GOBLIN MOON  by Teresa Edgerton; BONE DANCE by Emma Bull (May)

bskendig@set.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.155434.28892@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) writes:
>tigger@freezer.it.udel.edu (david faust) writes:
>>... I can't get MacWrite 5.0 or Compact Pro to work under System
>>7.0b4. MacWrite starts to load and then the error message "Application Unkown
>>has unexpectedly quit." Compact Pro works just great until you try and create
>>a new archive. Then it bombs too.
>
>I don't have MacWriteII, but CompactPro works fine under 7.0f2c2.

MacWrite II works fine for me under 7.0b4.  The original MacWrite 5.01
became obsolete quite a while ago; it dies miserably for me on the
newer Macs.  If you're still using it, why not think about upgrading?

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't HAVE the work to *do* -- I don't DO the work I *have*."

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (04/14/91)

tigger@freezer.it.udel.edu (david faust) writes:

>I have looked at the stuff in the sumex-aim ftp site on incompatibilities
>with System 7.0x but would like to know if other people are having the same
>problems I am. I can't get MacWrite 5.0 or Compact Pro to work under System
>7.0b4. MacWrite starts to load and then the error message "Application Unkown
>has unexpectedly quit." Compact Pro works just great until you try and create
>a new archive. Then it bombs too. Anyone else have favorite programs they would
>like to add? I will keep a list and email or post. Thanks,

   MacWrite 5.0 (and 5.0.1 for that matter) are no longer supported.  You
will probably have to upgrade to MacWrite Pro.  Which not only is System 7
ready but (according to the latest MacWEEK 4/9/91) it also supports Publish
and Subscribe, AppleEvents, and Balloon Help.  Unless I am mistaken, you
can buy (or upgrade to) MacWrite II and the upgrade to MacWrite Pro is free.
But you should ask your local Software dealer or mail order house.

   About Compact Pro, you may have to wait until it is upgraded.  Maybe the
author doesn't have access to system 7, or his real job takes him away from
upgrading it.  Remember, it is shareware!  I think that StuffIt Classic and
Deluxe are 7.0 ready.

      +--------------------------+---------------------------------------+
     /    Patrick Hoepfner       |    NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center    \
    / America Online: PatrickH9  | Internet: hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov \
   +-----------------------------+------------------------------------------+

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) (04/15/91)

As I mentioned before, Compact Pro works just fine with 7.0f2c2.
I've been using it heavily.
Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) (04/15/91)

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) writes:

>As I mentioned before, Compact Pro works just fine with 7.0f2c2.
>I've been using it heavily.
>--

As an amendment to my comment above, this is true in 24-bit mode only.
Compact Pro crashes like a BigDog when in 32-bit mode.
(I rarely use 32-bit mode.  I don't need more than 13MB of VM :)

coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (04/17/91)

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) writes:
>>As I mentioned before, Compact Pro works just fine with 7.0f2c2.
>>I've been using it heavily.

>As an amendment to my comment above, this is true in 24-bit mode only.
>Compact Pro crashes like a BigDog when in 32-bit mode.
>(I rarely use 32-bit mode.  I don't need more than 13MB of VM :)

Perhaps this means that it'll finally be fixed for A/UX Real Soon Now
(he says with bated breath). It works ok in 24-bit mode but not 32;
since I like _some_ VM, and A/UX only allows it in 32-bit mode, I want a
32-bit clean Compact Pro!

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1991 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.

TAS120@psuvm.psu.edu (Todd Safra) (04/19/91)

It also works just fine with System 7.0FC1, though I haven't tried it in 32 bit
 mode since I never have any HD space anyway.

                                         Todd

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (04/20/91)

On a related note, has anyone else seem irregularities running SoftPC under
System 7.0b4?  I tend to lose my DOS compatible drives (both the SuperDrive
3.5" and the Apple 5.25")  System is a IIcx with 8Meg and version 1.4 of
SoftPC EG/at

-O

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."