[comp.sys.mac.system] Is it me, or is 7.0 7.slow?

rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu (04/16/91)

I recently got a copy of 7.0b4 for my IIsi, and while it looked fabulous, it
seemed rather slow.  This may have been because the machine was in 256 color
mode and drawing all those fancy color windows and menus takes a lot of time,
but in all honesty, I felt like I was back with my Mac Plus.  I don't think all
the slowdown can be attributed to graphics, since Apple spent a lot of time
writing a lot of code which I assume must get executed at some time.  Moving to
fewer colors didn't speed things up that much either.

Other people I know have also complained about the slowness of 7.0b4.  What has
been the experience of others on the net?  If 7.0 is slow on a 20MHz 68030, I
hate to think what it will be like on a 6Mhz Mac Plus...

Thanks in advance for your input.

------------------------
Randall Cook
rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu
------------------------

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (04/16/91)

First off, if you're going to whine about the speed of beta software,
you're only giving ammunition to the school of thought that says that
system software stays internal until it's done.  Keep that in mind.

Second off, there was a bug in 7.0b4 that turned off the 68030's
cache.

Relaxxxx,

anders

dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.152903.41771@eagle.wesleyan.edu>, rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
> I recently got a copy of 7.0b4 for my IIsi, and while it looked fabulous, it
> seemed rather slow.  This may have been because the machine was in 256 color
> mode and drawing all those fancy color windows and menus takes a lot of time,
> but in all honesty, I felt like I was back with my Mac Plus.  I don't think all
> the slowdown can be attributed to graphics, since Apple spent a lot of time
> writing a lot of code which I assume must get executed at some time.  Moving to
> fewer colors didn't speed things up that much either.
> Other people I know have also complained about the slowness of 7.0b4.  What has
> been the experience of others on the net?  If 7.0 is slow on a 20MHz 68030

System 7 in general is slower than 6. That's the way it's gonna be. Every new
version so far has gotten a little faster b4 is faster than b3 and the FC
series is faster than the b series. But the fact remains that system 7 is
just going to be slower. Not a lot slower, but enough to notice. Increasing the
RAM cache will lower available memory, but increase speed. I would imagine
that apple will do everything in their power to try and speed it up more but
they've done a LOT to make it as fast as it is so that may be asking too much.

> I hate to think what it will be like on a 6Mhz Mac Plus...
					    ^^^^
That's an 8Mhz Mac Plus... picky, picky.... :-)
And it's fine for me on a Classic...

Dan

/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|   Dan Weisman -  University of Miami - Florida   |  ||   ||   ||   ||   |
|--------------------------------------------------|  ||   ||   ||\ /||   |
|   INTERNET  -----> dweisman@umiami.IR.Miami.edu  |  ||   ||   || | ||   |
|     BITNET  -----> dweisman@umiami               |  |||||||   || | ||   |
|       "The more I get to see, the less I understand..."    - Triumph    |
\_________________________________________________________________________/

oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu (Doc O'Leary) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.152903.41771@eagle.wesleyan.edu> rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes, among other things:

>Other people I know have also complained about the slowness of 7.0b4.  What has
>been the experience of others on the net?  If 7.0 is slow on a 20MHz 68030, I
>hate to think what it will be like on a 6Mhz Mac Plus...

To set a few minds at ease, there is a slight slowdown on my SE.  Enough to
get me to consider an upgrade/accelerator, but not enough to require one.

I have no idea why you are experiencing difficulties.  The color will, of
course, slow it down some more, but I think something else is going on (maybe
the way the memory is installed and used by the built-in video card?).

         ---------   Doc

**********************   Signature Block : Version 2.4  *********************
*                                     |  "Please put litter in its place"   *
* "Was it love, or was it the idea    |           ---McDonald's packaging   *
*  of being in love?" -- PF           |   Wouldn't that be on the ground?   *
*    (BTW, which one *is* Pink?)      |                                     *
*                                     |   --->oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu<---     *
******************   Copyright (c) 1991 by Doc O'Leary   ********************

bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr15.200850.9002@umiami.ir.miami.edu>, dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) writes:
> In article <1991Apr15.152903.41771@eagle.wesleyan.edu>, rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>> I recently got a copy of 7.0b4 for my IIsi, and while it looked fabulous, it
>> seemed rather slow.  This may have been because the machine was in 256 color
>> mode and drawing all those fancy color windows and menus takes a lot of time,
>> but in all honesty, I felt like I was back with my Mac Plus.  I don't think all
>> the slowdown can be attributed to graphics, since Apple spent a lot of time
>> writing a lot of code which I assume must get executed at some time.  Moving to
>> fewer colors didn't speed things up that much either.
>> Other people I know have also complained about the slowness of 7.0b4.  What has
>> been the experience of others on the net?  If 7.0 is slow on a 20MHz 68030
>
> System 7 in general is slower than 6. That's the way it's gonna be. Every new
> version so far has gotten a little faster b4 is faster than b3 and the FC
> series is faster than the b series. But the fact remains that system 7 is
> just going to be slower. Not a lot slower, but enough to notice. Increasing the
> RAM cache will lower available memory, but increase speed. I would imagine
> that apple will do everything in their power to try and speed it up more but
> they've done a LOT to make it as fast as it is so that may be asking too much.

Another example of why sys 7 has not been available to all of _US_.  7.0b4
notice the 'b' is a beta test version so probably has lots of debug code.
Longer pathlengths mean it appears slower.  I'd expect on May 13 we will
be able see how fast the REAL sys 7.0 is.  Until then comments on 7.0bx or
maybe even 7.0CnFx are only speculation.

Disclaimer:  I have seen 7.0b4 running, but do not have it.  I too am eagerly
waiting, in Australia we will probably have to wait longer (unless apple.
com) come across!  Patience is a virtue: about the only one I have :-)

--
David E. Bellamy        Email: bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au
Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (04/18/91)

>Other people I know have also complained about the slowness of 7.0b4. What has
>been the experience of others on the net?  If 7.0 is slow on a 20MHz 68030, I
>hate to think what it will be like on a 6Mhz Mac Plus...

I have the impression System 7.0 does away with the DeskTop file.
Isn't that correct?

I can copy a small file to my 80 MB hard disk in under 5 seconds, but
then I wait an additional 30 to 40 seconds while the Finder updates
the DeskTop.  Seems to me that if I can avoid this really annoying
wait, that will make up for a little less pep in other areas.

(P.S.  My disk is totally defragmented nightly by DiskExpressII, and I
rebuilt the DeskTop a week or so ago, so please don't suggest those as
possible problems.)

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)  I don't speak for my employer. --
|   When I was young, my family bought a color TV.  Our neigbors, who   |
| were poorer, had only a black-and-white set.  They bought a piece of  |
| cellophane, red on top, yellow in the middle, and blue on the bottom, |
| and taped it over their screen, so they could claim that they had a   |
| color TV, too.                                                        |
|   Now there's Windows 3.0.                                            |

dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) (04/18/91)

In article <17259@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>, dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:

> I have the impression System 7.0 does away with the DeskTop file.
> Isn't that correct?

Yes and no. There is still a desktop file, but it is no longer arranged
sequentially. It is now in a tree format which makes organizing files on a
hard drive much easier.

> I can copy a small file to my 80 MB hard disk in under 5 seconds, but
> then I wait an additional 30 to 40 seconds while the Finder updates
> the DeskTop.  Seems to me that if I can avoid this really annoying
> wait, that will make up for a little less pep in other areas.

When large hard drives began to get a lot of files on them, updating the
desktop got bogged down. This is no longer a problem with System 7. In fact, you
will no longer see a message saying "Updating desktop..." anymore. It will
still update the new desktop file but that's so much faster it's barely
noticable.

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (04/18/91)

In article <17259@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:
>I can copy a small file to my 80 MB hard disk in under 5 seconds, but
>then I wait an additional 30 to 40 seconds while the Finder updates
>the DeskTop.  Seems to me that if I can avoid this really annoying
>wait, that will make up for a little less pep in other areas.

If you can't wait for System 7.0, you might get a copy of Desktop Manager and
install that and rebuild your desktop.  Another option is to reformat your disk
(after backing up, of course) and set it up with partitions.  It sounds to me
like you have a lot of files on your HD.

s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Luke Mewburn) (04/22/91)

somebody@somewhere.it.is    (can't remember poster :-)

>Other people I know have also complained about the slowness of 7.0b4. What has
>been the experience of others on the net?  If 7.0 is slow on a 20MHz 68030, I
>hate to think what it will be like on a 6Mhz Mac Plus...

Couple of things. A plus is 8MHz :-)
2. Doesn't 7.0b4 have debugging code, thus it is slower than a final
version? That is the impression I got when using it over the last few
days.

| Luke Mewburn   (Zak)                |     This side for rent...      |
| s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au        |                                |