[comp.sys.mac.system] Rebuilding the desktop

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (04/20/91)

Don't forget that rebuilding the desktop also zaps your comments
in the get info boxes. I never figured out what that box is for if
it's so danged fragile. I used to keep comments about what things
do (especially useful for those little thingamabobs you download
and file, thinking "yeah, I *might* use this someday) but then as
soon as you rebuild the desktop, *poof*. So I've had to resort to
text files, which is much less convenient. Oh, well.

--
Ian Chai                     | "God loves you just  the way you are,  but
Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu  | He loves you too much to let you stay that

sven@cs.widener.edu (Sven Heinicke) (04/21/91)

In <1991Apr20.040508.13594@hawk.cs.ukans.edu>, chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu writes:
>Don't forget that rebuilding the desktop also zaps your comments
>in the get info boxes. I never figured out what that box is for if
>it's so danged fragile. I used to keep comments about what things
>do (especially useful for those little thingamabobs you download
>and file, thinking "yeah, I *might* use this someday) but then as
>soon as you rebuild the desktop, *poof*. So I've had to resort to
>text files, which is much less convenient. Oh, well.

Maby fixing could be another 7.0 improvement.

--
sven@cs.widener.edu                                  Widener CS system manager
Sven Mike Heinicke                                          and Student

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (04/23/91)

sven@cs.widener.edu (Sven Heinicke) writes:

>In <1991Apr20.040508.13594@hawk.cs.ukans.edu>, chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu writes:
>>Don't forget that rebuilding the desktop also zaps your comments
>>in the get info boxes. I never figured out what that box is for if
>>it's so danged fragile. I used to keep comments about what things
>>do (especially useful for those little thingamabobs you download
>>and file, thinking "yeah, I *might* use this someday) but then as
>>soon as you rebuild the desktop, *poof*. So I've had to resort to
>>text files, which is much less convenient. Oh, well.

   You could always use the free program "Minor*Repairs" to rebuild the
   desktop without loosing the text in the get info box.  The reason that
   it is lost is because the text found in the get info box is filed away
   in the desktop file, and when you rebuild the desktop (i.e. delete the
   desktop file) any info in it is lost.

   I am not sure, but I think that the "Application Memory Size" in the
   get info box is also lost.  This is possible a more serious problem
   than keeping the random comments about the application.

>Maby fixing could be another 7.0 improvement.

   I have read that with the System 7.0, rebuilding the desktop is no-longer
   needed!  Hurray!

--Patrick    hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov