[fa.info-terms] TERMCAP > TERMINFO, HOW?

cdl@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (10/26/85)

From: sdcsvax!sdcc3!mplvax!cdl@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Carl Lowenstein)

In article <2268@brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>) writes:
>>      1. Is there some way to compile an "old" termcap entry
>>         into a terminfo entry?  If so, how?
>
>Sure; use the "ex" script cvt.ex in libcurses/terminfo.
Could you be more specific about which version of the operating system you
are referring to.  I do not find this file in 4.2BSD or in SysV release 2
(for the 3b2, including the terminfo package).
Alternatively, if it is simple and not particulary secret, how about posting
it for those who don't have your particular collection of utilities.
--
	carl lowenstein		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!cdl

gwyn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (10/26/85)

From: ucdavis!lll-crg!seismo!brl-tgr!gwyn@ucbvax.berkeley.edu  (Doug Gwyn <ucdavis!lll-crg!seismo!brl-tgr!gwyn@ucbvax.berkeley.edu>)

> >>      1. Is there some way to compile an "old" termcap entry
> >>         into a terminfo entry?  If so, how?
> >
> >Sure; use the "ex" script cvt.ex in libcurses/terminfo.
>
> Could you be more specific about which version of the operating system you
> are referring to.  I do not find this file in 4.2BSD or in SysV release 2
> (for the 3b2, including the terminfo package).
Of course you don't find it in 4.2BSD; they have no libcurses/terminfo.
AT&T must have made another of their famous silly decisions and removed
the converter script from the 3B2 SVR2 distribution.
> Alternatively, if it is simple and not particulary secret, how about posting
> it for those who don't have your particular collection of utilities.
I can't post AT&T licensed source code, although I am sorely tempted
in this case.  cvt.ex is found on the VAX SVR2 distribution.  Try
talking to your AT&T support people and see if they can supply this
very useful conversion aid.

guy@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (10/28/85)

From: sun!guy@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Guy Harris)

> >>      1. Is there some way to compile an "old" termcap entry
> >>         into a terminfo entry?  If so, how?
> >
> >Sure; use the "ex" script cvt.ex in libcurses/terminfo.
>
> Could you be more specific about which version of the operating system you
> are referring to.  I do not find this file in 4.2BSD
Because 4.2BSD doesn't have "terminfo".
> or in SysV release 2 (for the 3b2, including the terminfo package).
Because you (probably) don't have source.
Doug was probably assuming you had source.  If you don't have source, you're
probably out of luck.  (AT&T-IS should supply the contents of the source
directory to "terminfo" - "/usr/src/lib/libcurses/terminfo" in S5R2 - with
their systems, because 1) "terminfo" entries, like "termcap" entries, are
extremely likely to be wrong, and if you don't have the source they're hard
to fix, and 2) that directory also contains the "termcap" to "terminfo" "ex"
script and an include file and "sed" script for converting programs from
"termcap" to "terminfo".)
> Alternatively, if it is simple and not particulary secret, how about posting
> it for those who don't have your particular collection of utilities.
Unfortunately, 1) it isn't simple (~164 lines of "ex" script) and 2) it is
secret, in that (I presume) it's protected by the UNIX source being a trade
secret.  The definition of "source" gets a bit wobbly when it comes to
things like include files (obviously, you can't provide them only to source
licensees unless you want to limit developing programs under UNIX to people
who have source licenses), and I think AT&T-IS should move the "terminfo"
"source" into the category of binary software for the reasons mentioned
above.
	Guy Harris