[comp.sys.mac.system] Sonic Finder & System 7?

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (04/23/91)

Has anyone gotten the Sonic Finder ('Finder Sounds') combo to work with
system 7? Various combinations of putting things in the extensions folder and
system folder did not work. Barring that, is there a more up-to-date version?
It's the only thing about system 6 I miss :-) :-(
--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu

smith@coral.bucknell.edu (Greg Smith) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr22.171139.11544@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes:
> Has anyone gotten the Sonic Finder ('Finder Sounds') combo to work with
> system 7? Various combinations of putting things in the extensions folder and
> system folder did not work. Barring that, is there a more up-to-date version?
> It's the only thing about system 6 I miss :-) :-(

The current version is 1.3.1, and it doesn't work on 7.0, either.  I'm afraid
that Apple has removed the sound hooks that were present in the 6.1.4 through
6.1.7 Finder (for Sys 6.0.4 through 6.0.7).  Those hooks were what made Finder
Sounds possible.  Without 'em, I'm up the creek.  I really miss my sounds, but
I haven't found another way to enable them.  :-(

> --
> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu
> Software Tools Group, NCSA				mlanett@ncsa.uiuc.edu

Greg Smith
Finder Sounds author

+----------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Gregory J. Smith           | Internet:   smith@bucknell.edu       |
| Systems Analyst/Postmaster |             smith@coral.bucknell.edu |
| Computer Services          | BITNET:     smith@bucknell.bitnet    |
| Bucknell University        |             smith@bknlvms.bitnet     |
| Lewisburg, PA  17837       | AT&Tnet:    (717) 524-1801           |
|                            | CompuServe: 71131,3660               |
+----------------------------+--------------------------------------+

gourdol@imag.imag.fr (Gourdol Arnaud) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr22.171139.11544@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes:
>Has anyone gotten the Sonic Finder ('Finder Sounds') combo to work with
>system 7? Various combinations of putting things in the extensions folder and
>system folder did not work. Barring that, is there a more up-to-date version?
>It's the only thing about system 6 I miss :-) :-(

Alas! Sonic Finder was an experimental version of the Finder which added
sounds to most of the interactions. To do this, the Finder source
code was modified (the guy who did this worked at Apple at the time).
The additional Finder Sounds file mainly contains the sound, an no
Extension is really needed. The following released versions of the
Finder did contained the modifications to use the sound. But the
NewFinder, aka Finder 7.0 is newly entirely rewritten version,
and thus it does not contain the needed calls to use Finder Sonds.
In order for Finder Sounds to work, the Finder should me modified,
and I don't think that this will be done for version 7.0, maybe
7.01?

Right, that's the only thing I miss from System 6 :-(

Arno.
--
  / Arnaud Gourdol.      // On the Netland:         Gourdol@imag.fr  /