[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7.0 AppleShare and Aufs problem

tom@wcc.oz.au (Tom Evans) (04/24/91)

In article <7374@munnari.oz.au>, djh@cs.mu.oz.au (David Hornsby) writes:
> moyman@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Mike Moya) writes:
> > There is a definite problem with System 7.0 and Aufs (Rutgers 2.0 version).
>
> This is also a problem with System 7.0 (at least to beta 4) and CAP 6.0.
> It is due to a couple of things:
>
> 	1. AppleShare... tries to byte-range-lock a zero-length file
>	that it has open READ-ONLY. The file is called "Trash Can Usage Map".
>
> 	2. CAP uses UNIX lockf(2) for byte-range-locking...

And lockf can't do this. I assume special-case code is needed in CAP
to recognise and "translate" the request into something that can be done
by the Unix file system.

tecot@momenta.com (Ed Tecot), in comp.sys.novell,comp.sys.mac.system writes:
> At Apple, compatibility is very important; it's SOP to fix a third
> party's bug in system software if possible.

Is it too late for the byte-range-lock-zero-length-read-only behaviour
to be changed (or has it already)?

What concerns me is whether:

	CAP/AUFS	Pacer		Alisa		Novell
	PATHworks	Mt Xinu		UShare		NFS/Share
	Pathway NFS	all the other ones I've forgotten

can handle this now, or if they have to be changed to accommodate
System 7.

========================
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au ** ADD ".au" MANUALLY (don't trust "reply") **
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby, Melbourne 3179
Victoria, Australia 61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179  A.C.N. 004 818 455

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (04/24/91)

In article <1710@wcc.oz.au> tom@wcc.oz.au (Tom Evans) writes:

   What concerns me is whether:

	   CAP/AUFS	Pacer		Alisa		Novell
	   PATHworks	Mt Xinu		UShare		NFS/Share
	   Pathway NFS	all the other ones I've forgotten

   can handle this now, or if they have to be changed to accommodate
   System 7.

NFS/Share seems to work well under System 7, although it does require
a working rpc.lockd on the UNIX side, which is a surprisingly rare
beast.  If you run bwnfsd (which you should be able to get from Beam
& Whiteside or InterCon), it'll use it for locking instead, as I
understand.

Disclaimer:  I'm an NFS/Share tester--contact InterCon for the official
scoop on the state of NFS/Share.

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda