[comp.sys.mac.system] Sys 7.0: Stop worrying! it's free....

sdbeck@mac.cc.macalstr.edu (04/26/91)

In article <41947@netnews.upenn.edu>, eck@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Hangnail Whipperwill) writes:

>    Can anyone in a position to do so please confirm or deny MacWeek's
> quote of "The single-user upgrade (to System 7.0), to be priced at
> *$99*, includes 90 days of free technical support via a toll-free
> number"?
>
>    A HUNDRED DOLLARS?  Yeah, that's going to help Apple dispel their
> overpriced image REAL fast.  Especially if they charge people who buy
> new systems after May 13 for the upgrade as well [...]

>    I sincerely hope the article is hype, as most of MacWeek usually is.

>    Sorry if I sound a little upset, but I AM.  Sure, Apple has a right
> to make money (or at least break even) on this new system; I've seen the
> betas, and I'll gladly pay for the software and documentation.  But a
> hundred dollars (and no educational discount)?  Forget it.
>
> Just my opinion.
> Brian Eck

Apparently, Brian, you think that MacWeek's so full of "hype" that you didn't
bother to read the second half of the article, which I think should dispel most
of the questions about us "normal" folks getting System 7 on our Macs. So
here's a few choice bits:

Apple spokeswoman Brooke Cohan: "Our current policy is that
resellers, bulletin boards and user groups are among the groups that can
license the right from Apple to make additional copies of the software."

(This doesn't make clear whether Apple plans to continue the policy, though.)

Unnamed Apple dealer:  "It has
been common practice to make floppy copies of the latest system software and
give them to clients ether for free or for [cost of floppies]. " and he added
that he expected the practice to continue. "The perception is that clients were
entitled to 'free system upgrades' based on their ownership of the
machine--after all, you can't run it on anyone else's computer."

The article continues....

"As part of its recognition that unauthorized copies of the System will exist,
Apple plans to offer technical support to users who do not purchase the upgrade
kit" [via a 900 number].

To me, instituting tech. support for "pirates"  says that Apple is going to
continue to allow "free" system software updates. But when you go to your
dealer/user-group, watch out....System 7 comes on 8 floppies. I'm sure the
whole thing will be turning up on ftp if your dealer is being annoying.

Also, remember what happened with HyperCard 2.0? It was distributed in
software-only form (albiet stripped down) months before the full documentation
and the upgrade kit were availible, and the user groups were told they could
continue to distribute it in that form. Admittedly, the situation was a bit
more complicated, but on the whole, I think Apple will be pursuing pretty much
the same policy as before.

Personally, I'd advise waiting till summer to install 7; if Apple's going to
wait until then to put it on its new CPU's shouldn't you? I can't help but
think that 7.0.1, 7.0.2, etc might be coming along by then (assuming System 7's
final release # isn't a continuation of the beta version #'s).

I'll be just fine with 6.0.5 (by the way, TrueType works fine with it; Apple
just didn't bother testing. Shame!) for a while yet. I bet most of you will,
too. But when you _do_ want 7, I bet you can get it.

Dan Becker