[comp.sys.mac.system] Finder 7 Shortcuts

tlunde@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Thomas Lunde) (04/21/91)

I got used to my Finder command keys using QuicKeys.
Unfortunately, I don't have a version of it that works with
System 7.  So...

SYSTEM 7 FINDER COMMAND KEYS:

After playing around with ResEdit in Finder 7, I found resources
of a type 'fmnu'.  Reasoning that it sounded like Finder Menu, I
looked in; sure enough it is.  It's also the type for the menus
in the Find dialog.  The numbers in the 1200 range are the ones
for the main menus.  Specifically, File is 1252, Edit is 1253,
and Special is 1255.  I've added CMD-M to Make Alias, CMD-B to
Clear, CMD-S to Show Clipboard, CMD-R to Restart, CMD-T to Empty
Trash, CMD-U to Clean Up, CMD- - to Erase Disk, and CMD-* to Shut
Down.  The Shut Down is deliberately a two handed stroke, as it
only works with the * on the numeric keypad (NOT SHFT-CMD-8).
Unfortunately, OPT-CMD-T does not work like it intuitively should
(it brings up the dialog).

For an easy installation of these, unhqx the appended file (it's
just those 3 resources -- 912 bytes).

Caveat:   This has been tested with 7.0 FC1 and ResEdit 2.0b2
only.

Uncaveat:  I see no reason why it should not work with other
systems.

If you're interested in the how/why...

Definition:  Box is a character that is not within the font used
in ResEdit.  Looking at a Resource in Hex Editor mode, there are
two parts; a Hex output, and an ASCII listing.  If one of the two
hex character codes is not printable, a box appears in the ASCII
listing.

The principle here works for all of these, so I'll just go
through it once:

Look at Resource #1253 of type 'fmnu'.  Open it with the Hex
Editor.  Find the word Clear about 1/2 way down the listing.
Before that C, there are four boxes.  Leave the two (counting up
from the C) next to the C alone.  Place the cursor (in the ASCII
listing) above the third.  Highlight the box, then type B.
Looking at the hex output, you can see the two characters that
just changed.  Place the pointer so that the pointer bar is
between them and the pair just to their left in the hex output.
Hit the delete button, then type 06.  Close the resource and save
the changes.

For Show Clipboard in #1253, change box three to a S, and CHANGE
the 00 that is the fourth box to an 06.  For Make Alias in #1252,
change box three to a M, and LEAVE the 02 that is the fourth box
alone.  For Empty Trash in #1255, change box three to a T, and
LEAVE the 06 that is the fourth box alone.  For Restart in #1255,
change box three to a R, and CHANGE the 00 that is the fourth box
to an 06.  For Clean Up in #1255, change box three to a U, and
LEAVE the 06 that is the fourth box alone.  For Erase Disk in
#1255, change box three to a -, and CHANGE the 02 that is the
fourth box to an 06.

The Shut Down change is unusual in that the words Shut Down are
not listed in the resource.  Look the the capital S right near
the end of the ASCII lsiting.  For Shut Down in #1255, change box
three to a * (the numeric pad only), and CHANGE the 04 that is
the fourth box to a 06.

The only warranty express or implied is the statement that this
has worked for me with no problems.

Thomas Lunde                      tlunde@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu

------ Cut Here ------
(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)
:%dCTEQ4PFP0SEh*dBh9dFbjcDA3!8dP8)90*9#%!!!!!!fd!!!!!*fj6593K!!%
!!!0YFNaKG3&d!!!!&J!Y!J!E4QPZC'9b0b"0C@je)&0SEh*dBh9d)&*cFQ0c!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FR0bBe*6483"!+3fQX+
N0VYH!!!$N!!!!!!!!!!#j`!!!!#`M!!!!!!!!!!!r+-!!!3)#'#!NB!#$JC88L)
#!!%p'"5%3`)!J6[,!"6BJ!f!J4UF!"c`d3-!!M*B!#6BB#50'c*Pj0`!dD5-QcS
JTU"j)iI1Q$Td3%LC)fI-(!%%!mSK1NE+P#*%"K)%NV5U9B5NE'J5CR8!**0J!N+
!%4!%KS"!*!)!C%"J`BF#!AhJY`(I!h`ii%(!J3F1#$M`X!'*%im4S((M$!!aCfj
!L'E-$%6)KSh"JRR`-"`B"`l'J@2!`"`i"!MBJdF"!!%!-U"X@`!3e#)iDj(X`l!
#J4&8l6EJ!0i(G!0i%$#!",F1,C*,5U!PQc)!h*5j!`+B!5F!&$LC$X,)'cB`j3#
Bm`C1'3J'RPKmBYl0H$KbdN!3!%8MP2KZI,*j-mIk&3!-$,(I('@!F)9,C,aa"`"
i0'KEF5h-iC)Cmb9KdK&P"*@%'fDmmCiFGX`A%!)kKB(I'FQ-4dBGF-a(K%T%X-K
''Q1%38FCFi3aiha0C0G%''X8'-5-BFca(P$cC@%5&%#"%-3GBH6"S)0*"G##'3J
'!X&""E6d8M*BZZ&')!!FNCfAC$Kj4KJZ6BR(J`+e!-FCFp3"$&)!,!"&''F81%@
',#B$aadZ@9GF'`4CiTB#!4&3$R0&N!#4"Kd!e2(5'hGUB9%9PlS*Tj8r"A9R5J-
-!G3BjH9aja!@$C%U!(!85FHG9YJRDaPM2#H(G8*S*'!C*K,)4KKh"T(GRmq0%G5
3!'ai@Q@%D13DL!&6!1#!6JU#)'!DF)MaKSPN*#@*@`NdHNj5"daKhKKTk*JVX%!
B8)9*[iEK"JK9`!&!'@h!33GE9!"B4,pdj!%#&A)8L8D+$Elj,)&UR#G!%GN9%E'
b)"#4aKaVM"G6'1LeN!"R%3N6Q2('Db66m+FYb)%M(G0+)C)8,jY)aaaS!$@Y#J*
9feY"#L9%N!!5!*!!8!%T#%K$%!F!%!f!'@hF"*F#"*!!mmmr"#4&3J6F1(TeeJ&
B8(3%f""`cYF#`6)f0@Z"!!!:

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) (04/22/91)

If you don't like the trash annoying you every time you want to empty it, just
'Get Info' on the trash and uncheck the 'warn before emptying' box.
Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

laf@mitre.org (Lee Fyock) (04/23/91)

In the Finder shortcuts help boxes, it says that option-clicking
on a window's zoom box zooms the window to the size of the screen
it's on.  Am I missing something, or is this wrong (at least in
7.0b4)?  Option-clicking in the zoom box acts just like regular-clicking
in the zoom box.

Thanks,
Lee Fyock
laf@mitre.org

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr22.191455.14323@linus.mitre.org> laf@mitre.org (Lee Fyock) writes:
>In the Finder shortcuts help boxes, it says that option-clicking
>on a window's zoom box zooms the window to the size of the screen
>it's on.  Am I missing something, or is this wrong (at least in
>7.0b4)?  Option-clicking in the zoom box acts just like regular-clicking
>in the zoom box.

  "Regular-clicking" in 6.0 terms, perhaps.  Under 7.0, clicking in the zoom
box of a Finder window will make the window just big enough to allow the user
to see all the items in that window, which is usually much much smaller than
the full screen.

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     My opinions and so on and so forth...

minich@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (04/26/91)

From article <52015@apple.Apple.COM>, by nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu):
> In article <1991Apr22.191455.14323@linus.mitre.org> laf@mitre.org (Lee Fyock) writes:
>>In the Finder shortcuts help boxes, it says that option-clicking
>>on a window's zoom box zooms the window to the size of the screen
>>it's on.  Am I missing something, or is this wrong (at least in
>>7.0b4)?  Option-clicking in the zoom box acts just like regular-clicking
>>in the zoom box.
>>

>   "Regular-clicking" in 6.0 terms, perhaps.  Under 7.0, clicking in the zoom
> box of a Finder window will make the window just big enough to allow the user
> to see all the items in that window, which is usually much much smaller than
> the full screen.
>
>   -- Dean Yu

I bet Dean doesn't use a small-screened Mac. :-)
--
|_    /| | Robert Minich            |
|\'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University| "I'm not discouraging others from using