[comp.sys.mac.system] HelveBol with 6.0.7

saarimak@jyu.fi (04/24/91)

What is the reason for the following printing incorrectness of Helvetica Bold?
If I print to laser something _boldtext_ in Helvetica Bold and continue then
with normaltext, then the end of _boldtext_ is printed on top of the beginning
of the normaltext.  And if I underline bolded text, then the underline is too
short (so long as it would be under normal text).

My system: Mac II with system 6.0.7 and Laserwriter II NT.
Other fonts than Helvetica seem to print correctly.
Interestingly Helvetiva is printed correctly from another Mac II with system
6.0.5 to the same laser!

Someone seems to believe that bolded text is as long as normal text, someone
not. Whose fault?  Any suggestions to correct? Back to 6.0.5 or is there better
Helvetica?

kaufman@neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr24.064517.5667@jyu.fi> saarimak@jyu.fi writes:
-What is the reason for the following printing incorrectness of Helvetica Bold?
-If I print to laser something _boldtext_ in Helvetica Bold and continue then
-with normaltext, then the end of _boldtext_ is printed on top of the beginning
-of the normaltext.  And if I underline bolded text, then the underline is too
-short (so long as it would be under normal text).

-My system: Mac II with system 6.0.7 and Laserwriter II NT.
-Other fonts than Helvetica seem to print correctly.
-Interestingly Helvetiva is printed correctly from another Mac II with system
-6.0.5 to the same laser!

-Someone seems to believe that bolded text is as long as normal text, someone
-not. Whose fault?  Any suggestions to correct? Back to 6.0.5 or is there better
-Helvetica?

Sounds like you just need to reinstall Helvetica.  The LW Driver uses the
width information in the FOND (and FONT/NFNT) to determine how long the text
is -- if it guesses correctly on the other Mac but not on yours, its a good
bet that your Font information is wrong.  Use Font/DA Mover to put a fresh
Helvetica on your system.

There are at least 3 DIFFERENT versions of Helvetica available for the Mac:
The bitmap FONT released with the system, the LW fonts released with the
Laserwriter, and the ATM fonts from Adobe. (and TrueType, if you have it)
This tends to be a mite confusing to the Laserwriter Driver.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

saarimak@jyu.fi (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.064517.5667@jyu.fi> saarimak@jyu.fi writes:
>What is the reason for the following printing incorrectness of Helvetica Bold?

>If I print to laser something _boldtext_ in Helvetica Bold and continue then
>with normaltext, then the end of _boldtext_ is printed on top of the beginning
>of the normaltext.  And if I underline bolded text, then the underline is too
>short (so long as it would be under normal text).

The solution was to reinstall Helvetica from the system disk.
I had an old Helvetica font, which 6.0.7 didn't use properly.
Thanks to Marc Kaufman!

juh@cs.hut.fi (Juha Hyv|nen) (04/26/91)

+------------------------
!
! >If I print to laser something _boldtext_ in Helvetica Bold and continue then
! >with normaltext, then the end of _boldtext_ is printed on top of the beginning
! >of the normaltext.  And if I underline bolded text, then the underline is too
! >short (so long as it would be under normal text).
!
! The solution was to reinstall Helvetica from the system disk.
! I had an old Helvetica font, which 6.0.7 didn't use properly.
! Thanks to Marc Kaufman!
!........................

The Helvetica on Finnish system installer disks has been corrupt since
6.0.2 (that is the oldest system I could find). Usually there are two
copies of the font: one in the System file and the other in a separate
Font/DA Mover file 'Kirjasimet' (or 'Fonts' in English). The one in
System file seems to be OK but, unfortunately, the Installer uses the
one in the 'Kirjasimet' file.

So, when you install (or upgrade) the system, you end up with a
corrupt Helvetica! (The font is corrupt also in the 6.0.7 installer
disks I have. Maybe the Apple representatives have corrected the
problem, I told them about it last January.)

I installed Helvetica from the US System disks to get a clean copy.

	   / (.__o
	! /  !		Juha Hyvonen
	!/ ) !		juh@cs.hut.fi
	 ------