[comp.sys.mac.system] Sys 7.0b4 and ATM

tobias@athena.mit.edu (John W Tobias) (04/21/91)

	I am having problems with ATM2.0 and 7.0b4.  I could have sworn that
upon initial installation (~ATM in control panels folder and ~ATM 020/030
file and fonts in the system folder) things worked normally.  BUT now,
when ATM (the only init) is running, most applications quit upon startup
with a message something like:

	The appliction "unknown" has unexpectedly quit with an error
	of Type 1.

These are not odd applications, mind you, as Microsoft Word 4.00D is among
them, but not the only offender (HC2.0 also).  Is there a work around for
this problem?  Is it fixed in future 7.0 versions?  Should I simply convert
my PostScript fonts to TrueType format and bag ATM altogether?  If conversion
is the best solution, what conversion program should I use?

			Thanks in advance for helping with my whiny questions,

					John

hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr20.223919.6939@athena.mit.edu> tobias@athena.mit.edu (John W Tobias) writes:

>	I am having problems with ATM2.0 and 7.0b4.  I could have sworn that
>upon initial installation (~ATM in control panels folder and ~ATM 020/030
>file and fonts in the system folder) things worked normally.  BUT now,
>when ATM (the only init) is running, most applications quit upon startup
>with a message something like:
>
>	The appliction "unknown" has unexpectedly quit with an error
>	of Type 1.

I had this problem.  Turns out (though it took me 3 days to get to someone
in adobe who would admit it) ATM is not 32-bit clean.   Turn off 32 bit
adressing in the memory contro panel and things should work.

The tech I finally got to claimed they already had an internal beta that
is 32-bit clean.

Josh

Josh Hodas    		Home Phone:	     (215) 222-7112
4223 Pine Street	School Office Phone: (215) 898-9514
Philadelphia, PA 19104	New E-Mail Address:  hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu

kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr20.223919.6939@athena.mit.edu> tobias@athena.mit.edu (John W Tobias) writes:

>       I am having problems with ATM2.0 and 7.0b4.  I could have sworn that
>upon initial installation (~ATM in control panels folder and ~ATM 020/030
>file and fonts in the system folder) things worked normally.  BUT now,

Something's probably just corrupted.  I've been using ATM under 7.0 ever
since the first beta without a hitch.  Remember -- you're using beta
software and things do crash, burn, and die, (speaking from experience)
and that's probably the cause.

>this problem?  Is it fixed in future 7.0 versions?  Should I simply convert
>my PostScript fonts to TrueType format and bag ATM altogether?  If conversion
>is the best solution, what conversion program should I use?

Blech.  No way.  I'm using ATM as much as possible -- I've had more problems
with TrueType, especially under 7.0f2.  TrueType will suddenly stop
rendering characters leaving me with nothing...

Ken

--
Ken Hancock             | INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com
Isle Systems            | Compuserve: >INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com