[comp.sys.mac.system] Sys 7 & MacTCP?

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (04/25/91)

Does MacTCP work with system 7? No one else using/posting about sys 7 has
mentioned that they have to use system 6 to do so but I've been quite
unable to use any program that requires the MacTCP drivers (without
rebooting with sys 6). Apple didn't supply any new version of MacTCP on
the SEED CD. I've heard that it's due to be totally re-written but little
else.

It's tough being the local sys 7 test site when communications don't
work...
--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski) (04/25/91)

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes:

>Does MacTCP work with system 7? No one else using/posting about sys 7 has
>mentioned that they have to use system 6 to do so but I've been quite
>unable to use any program that requires the MacTCP drivers (without
>rebooting with sys 6). Apple didn't supply any new version of MacTCP on
>the SEED CD. I've heard that it's due to be totally re-written but little
>else.

>It's tough being the local sys 7 test site when communications don't
>work...
>--
>//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu
>Software Tools Group, NCSA				mlanett@ncsa.uiuc.edu

We have MacTCP working just fine here, Mark.  And we're just around the corner
from you.  It's a bit af a kludge, but not terrible.  You need to have MacTCP
(and/or AdminTCP) in both the system folder AND the Control Panels folder.
In other words, use an alias.  I should certainly hope that this will be fixed
when it is rewritten

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski) writes:
>ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (me) writes:
>>Does MacTCP work with system 7? No one else using/posting about sys 7 has
[etc]

>We have MacTCP working just fine here, Mark.  And we're just around the corner
>from you.  It's a bit af a kludge, but not terrible.  You need to have MacTCP
>(and/or AdminTCP) in both the system folder AND the Control Panels folder.
>In other words, use an alias.  I should certainly hope that this will be fixed
>when it is rewritten

Stupid me! I was putting MacTCP in the Extensions folder! How silly to believe
all that nonsense about how inits and drivers go in there now rather than in the
system folder. Well, at least the MacTCP drivers get it right. (:-))

Incidentally, I don't bother aliasing things into the Control Panels folder.
They have no effect there--I put an alias for the Extensions folder in the Apple
menu and open _that_ up when I want to adjust things. Only Apple's original CPs
remain in the Control Panels folder.

--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (04/25/91)

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes:
>dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski) writes:
>>It's a bit af a kludge, but not terrible.  You need to have MacTCP
>>(and/or AdminTCP) in both the system folder AND the Control Panels folder.
>>In other words, use an alias.

>Stupid me! I was putting MacTCP in the Extensions folder! How silly to believe
>all that nonsense about how inits and drivers go in there now rather than in the
>system folder. Well, at least the MacTCP drivers get it right. (:-))

>Incidentally, I don't bother aliasing things into the Control Panels folder.
>They have no effect there [...]

Huh? Do you mean that control panel documents put in your CP folder
don't run, or that they're messy, or something else? I've got lots of
CP's (formerly CDEVs :-)) in my CP folder and they all do the right
thing (except the ones that are toasted in 7.0, like Magic Menu :-().
I suppose you _could_ put an alias for the Extensions folder in your
Apple menu, but why bother when CP already exists?

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1991 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr25.150612.23043@m.cs.uiuc.edu> coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Huh? Do you mean that control panel documents put in your CP folder
>don't run, or that they're messy, or something else? I've got lots of

Extensions in the Control Panels folder will be run at boot time.

The problem with MacTCP is that it contains a resource implementing the
domain name resolver, and MacTCP clients have code linked into them that
scans the System Folder for the MacTCP file in order to open it and access
this resource.  So currently, MacTCP (or a copy) must be in the System
Folder proper for MacTCP clients to work.

--
Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

lsr@apple.com
(or AppleLink: Rosenstein1)

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (04/26/91)

coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) writes:

>ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes:
>>Incidentally, I don't bother aliasing things into the Control Panels folder.
>>They have no effect there [...]

>Huh? Do you mean that control panel documents put in your CP folder
>don't run, or that they're messy, or something else? I've got lots of
>CP's (formerly CDEVs :-)) in my CP folder and they all do the right
>thing (except the ones that are toasted in 7.0, like Magic Menu :-().
>I suppose you _could_ put an alias for the Extensions folder in your
>Apple menu, but why bother when CP already exists?

No, I just mean that I don't put something in the Extensions folder and also put
an alias in the CP folder -- I only put the original in the Extensions folder.
The only reason you alias it into the CP folder is so you can open it from the
Apple menu and double-click it; why bother making the alias when you can open
the Extensions folder from the Apple menu and double-click the original?

--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (04/26/91)

From article <1991Apr24.225218.4305@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, by ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett):
> Does MacTCP work with system 7? No one else using/posting about sys 7 has
> mentioned that they have to use system 6 to do so but I've been quite
> unable to use any program that requires the MacTCP drivers (without
> rebooting with sys 6). Apple didn't supply any new version of MacTCP on
> the SEED CD. I've heard that it's due to be totally re-written but little
> else.
>
> It's tough being the local sys 7 test site when communications don't
> work...
> --
MacTCP ver 1.01 & 1.0.2 (for X-windows) are compatable with 7.0.  I've run it
with b4, b6, and now F2C2.  You do have to trick it to work though.  Prefs and
TCP go in system folder, and a copy of TCP goes in control panels.  I've not
heard of a reason for the necessary juggling (some people are using alias), but
it's necessary so far.  There is a new TCP extension in the F2c2 release, but
I still had to fudge to get TCP access...

I don't know where you can get the MacTCP 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 locally, I got it
from an X-windows user.

So far, I'm pleased as punch....

<< no sigs for me, I'm trying to quit >>