[comp.sys.mac.system] KanjiTalk 6.0.7-J available in the U.S.

nmm2@quads.uchicago.edu (nathaniel marinus mccully) (04/25/91)

I don't work for Apple Computer, but I thought that this message would be of
interest to all those netters who own Macs and have asked questions about
how to obtain the Japanese system software, KanjiTalk 6.0.7-J, in the U.S.

This appears to be the beginning of a trend by major computer companies
to acknowledge the need for foreign language capability in computers
within our own shores.  Previously, one could buy the Japanese software
from a few unauthorized dealers in the U.S., but no support was given to the
user.  Let's hope others follow Apple's lead!

Message follows:

MOVED OVER PR NEWSWIRE AT 8:15 AM, EDT, TUESDAY, APRIL 23, 1991.

Contact:

Betty Taylor
Apple USA
(408) 974-3983

Nancy Keith Kelly
Apple Pacific
(408) 974-2133

Apple Computer Expands Distribution Of Japanese Computing Products In
U.S. Markets

CUPERTINO, California--April 23, 1991--The Apple USA division of
Apple Computer, Inc. announced today it will expand distribution of
its complete line of Japanese computing products for the Apple
Macintosh personal computer in the U.S effective immediately. The
products will be distributed in ten major market areas throughout the
country.
    KanjiTalk, Apple's Japanese version of the Macintosh operating
system, will be marketed along with related products, including the
Apple LaserWriter II NTX-J printer and upgrade kit, HyperCard-J 2.0
software and third-party applications.  Previously, these products
were available in only one U.S. marketplace--Hawaii--under a pilot
program that began in early 1990.
    In addition to Hawaii, newly designated U.S. markets announced
today include Ann Arbor, Michigan; Chicago; Cincinnati and Dayton,
Ohio; Indianapolis; Louisville, Kentucky; New York; the San Francisco
Bay Area; and Sioux City, Iowa. Within those markets, a total of 14
Apple Authorized Dealer locations have been designated to sell
Japanese products.
    "The Hawaii pilot program has proven successful, and we see a
growing demand for Japanese products taking place in both business
and education in other U.S. markets," said Mike Dionne, senior vice
president of Sales, Apple USA.  "The expansion of our Japanese
product distribution reinforces Apple's commitment, as a global
company, to provide multilingual platforms to customers around the
world.  Apple is proud to be the first and only computer company to
offer Japanese customers in the U.S. the same Macintosh technology
that is found in Japan. "
    The Bank of Hawaii, a user of Macintosh with KanjiTalk since last
year's Hawaii market pilot, has found the Apple Macintosh computer to
be an invaluable communications tool. Since switching from a Japanese
word processor "our usage has increased, we are seeing better
performance and we are generating better quality output," said Toshi
Matsumoto, assistant vice president, International Marketing
Division.
    Apple selected additional U.S. markets for Japanese products
based on their high concentration of Japanese businesses, the number
of locally-based American firms doing business in Japan, and the high
concentration of Japanese education institutions.  Authorized dealers
were chosen based on their commitment to extensive training and
certification.  Authorization requires a dealer to provide full
service and support for the Japanese products and third-party
software, including staffing by a full-time, Japanese-literate
systems engineer. Sales to education institutions will be supported
by Apple Education Sales Consultants (AESCs).
    "Apple is at the forefront in providing global computing
solutions," said Gregory G. Galdi, president of Custom Computer,
Hauppauge, N.Y., a participating dealer. "From all of the
indications, we see a tremendous demand waiting to be filled in New
York--one of the largest concentrations of Japanese companies, doing
business in the U.S. We also have relationships with American firms
with divisions in Japan who have all shown interest in the products."
    Users who currently have a U.S. Macintosh system and who wish to
run the Japanese operating system only need to purchase the KanjiTalk
upgrade kits.  Customers who currently do not have a Macintosh system
will need to purchase a CPU and a LaserWriter II printer engine,
along with the two Japanese upgrade kits. Shipment of the products
begins today.
    Apple authorized dealers will offer two Japanese Macintosh
upgrade kits, which together, add the KanjiTalk operating system and
the ability to print PostScript Japanese to both existing and newly
purchased Apple Macintosh computers. The KanjiTalk Upgrade Kit
includes the KanjiTalk version 6.0.7 ; HyperCard-2.0J.; Japanese
manuals, and English installation and user's guides, and has a
suggested retail price of $400.  An extended Kana keyboard and
Japanese user manuals carries a suggested retail price of $250.
    The LaserWriter II NTX-J Upgrade Kit includes the Apple
LaserWriter II NTX-J Upgrade with controller board, 4 megabytes of
RAM, a 40-megabyte Apple hard disk containing Japanese PostScript
fonts and Japanese installation and user manuals.  Suggested retail
price is $4,000.  A LaserWriter II NTX-J bundle containing a
controller board, hard drive, engine and toner cartridge has a
suggested retail price of $6,300.
    Simultaneously, a number of third parties are offering Japanese
versions of their software products, including Aldus Corporation,
Claris Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, Quark, Inc. and TransPac
Software, Inc.  These vendors provide the U.S. marketplace with the
first Japanese language solutions in desktop publishing, office
automation and design and graphics.
    Apple Computer, Inc. is headquartered in Cupertino, California.
Apple products are sold in 124 countries around the world-including
Japan, the Far East, Canada, Australia and Latin America, which
comprise Apple Pacific, and in Europe.  A recognized pioneer and
innovator in the personal computer industry, Apple develops,
manufactures, and markets personal computer systems for use in
business, education, science and engineering, government and the
home.

(30)

*A list of Apple authorized U.S.-based Japanese product dealers is
attached.

Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, HyperCard and LaserWriter are
registered trademarks; KanjiTalk is a trademark of Apple Computer,
Inc.  PostScript is a trademark of Adobe Systems Inc.

*Apple Authorized Dealers For Japanese Products In The U.S. And Their
Locations:

Connecting Point               Oahu and Maui, Hawaii
Computer Attic                 Fremont, California
Computer Selection             San Francisco
AC Computer                    Sioux City, Iowa
Automated Office               Chicago
AC3                            Ann Arbor, Michigan
Custom Computer                New York
Graham Computer                Dayton, Ohio;
                               Indianapolis (2);
                               Louisville, Kentucky;
                               Cincinnati (2)

END

Apple Press Releases
PR Express
4/23/91

--
!!\\   !!       !!\\ //!!			Dept. of EALC
!! \\  !!       !! \ / !!			Univ. of Chicago

miyazaki@taichung.NoSubdomain.NoDomain (Takeshi Miyazaki) (04/27/91)

"Apple Computer Expands Distribution Of Japanese Computing Products In
U.S. Markets" says

> The KanjiTalk Upgrade Kit
>includes the KanjiTalk version 6.0.7 ; HyperCard-2.0J.; Japanese
>manuals, and English installation and user's guides, and has a
>suggested retail price of $400.
                           ^^^^^

$400 for System and HyperCard???

Takeshi Miyazaki
miyazaki@ee.princeton.edu

nmm2@quads.uchicago.edu (nathaniel marinus mccully) (04/27/91)

In article <8766@idunno.Princeton.EDU> miyazaki@taichung.NoSubdomain.NoDomain (Takeshi Miyazaki) writes:

>$400 for System and HyperCard???
>
>Takeshi Miyazaki
>miyazaki@ee.princeton.edu

Yes, that's right.  The upgrade kit comes with

Installer disk
System Tools
Utilities I + II
Font disks 1-4
HyperCard 2.0-J (lite version) -- two disks.

Plus the usual "Macintosh Reference", "Startup", "Getting Started w/HyperCard"
etc. manuals all translated into Japanese (localized versions of the
6.0.7 manuals that come with any new Macintosh.)