[comp.sys.mac.system] Another reason for NEEDING 32bit ROMs....

lance@hermix.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) (04/26/91)

There is an even LARGER need for us DEVELOPERS to be able to
upgrade to 32Bit ROMs and here it is:

	WE CANNOT STATE OUR PRODUCTS ARE 32BIT CLEAN UNLESS WE TRY THEM!!!!

Now: APPLE: You are telling us developers to test to make sure
our products are 32bit clean... BUT! Unless we upgrade to another
computer (we have a IIx here and are not about to upgrade yet), WE CANNOT
TEST OUR PRODUCT AND DEBUG IT IN 32BIT MODE!

*** WHAT ARE WE SUSPOSED TO DO??????? ***

I for one would LIKE to use more memory, but don't have a need for it
right now.. BUT *I* DO NEED TO TEST OUR PRODUCT IN 32BIT MODE! Yes I have
followed all the TechNotes about being 32bit clean.. BUT you know how
those TechNotes can be.. I have been burned MORE THAN ONCE because of them.

Lance Ellinghouse
Mark V Systems, Ltd.
hermix!lance@anes.ucla.edu
AppleLink: D3369

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (04/26/91)

In article <232@hermix.UUCP> lance@hermix.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) writes:
>	WE CANNOT STATE OUR PRODUCTS ARE 32BIT CLEAN UNLESS WE TRY THEM!!!!
>*** WHAT ARE WE SUSPOSED TO DO??????? ***

Buy a IIfx, of course; what could be better for Apple than that?

What?  You can't _afford_ a IIfx?  Your product must not be any good, then.
Remember, the quality of a product is directly proportional to the depth
of the pockets of its developer.  :-)

[To be fair, I think Apple is starting to move away from that philosophy;
the new 'low-end' developer bundles are one sign of that.  Goes along
with the move toward the low-end buyer.]

Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (04/26/91)

In article <232@hermix.UUCP>, lance@hermix.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) writes:

> There is an even LARGER need for us DEVELOPERS to be able to
> upgrade to 32Bit ROMs and here it is:
>
> 	WE CANNOT STATE OUR PRODUCTS ARE 32BIT CLEAN UNLESS WE TRY THEM!!!!
>

> Now: APPLE: You are telling us developers to test to make sure
> our products are 32bit clean... BUT! Unless we upgrade to another
> computer (we have a IIx here and are not about to upgrade yet), WE CANNOT
> TEST OUR PRODUCT AND DEBUG IT IN 32BIT MODE!
>
> *** WHAT ARE WE SUSPOSED TO DO??????? ***

Any responsible developer gets their product tested on all the current
Mac line before it ships.  This doesn't mean that you have to buy
every kind of Mac, though that works well!  It means that you have
to have a number of test sites that cover this.  You can do the same
thing with 32-bit clean testing too if you have to.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (04/27/91)

In article <0B010004.a2asoc@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP writes:
>Any responsible developer gets their product tested on all the current
>Mac line before it ships.  This doesn't mean that you have to buy
>every kind of Mac, though that works well!  It means that you have
>to have a number of test sites that cover this.  You can do the same
>thing with 32-bit clean testing too if you have to.

I can just imagine a phone conversation with a tester:

	Tester: Hi, your program just crashed.
	Developer: Ok, did you have your machine in 32 bit mode?
	T: Sure, that's what I always do.
	D: When does it crash?
	T: When I run the program?
	D: Can you reliably repeat the problem?
	T: No, I don't think so...
	D: Does it drop you into the debugger when it crashes?
	T: Debugger? Oh, you mean that dialog thing with the > prompt?
	D: Well, sort of, but don't you have TMON Pro or Macsbug?
	T: ????

I feel that Apple would benefit from a more unified ROM approach.
Users with the unified ROMs would have a computer that works better
and leaves more RAM for programs, because there aren't any patches
for the palette manager and such things.

I'm considering an upgrade from my Mac II to a IIfx, but at the
moment, I have more sensible ways to spend my money. A Mac II is
quite sufficient for my development needs.

I guess I'm lucky, since I work part time at the university Mac
support. I have a IIsi on my desk there and an fx is always available
for testing.

  / Juri Munkki	    /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  / Project /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /  STORM  /