[comp.sys.mac.system] Fonts

esht_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Eran) (11/29/90)

Is there a way of letting people print using fonts installed on a server.
What I mean is have fonts on a server available to people without them
having all the fonts on their floppies.

Thanks,
Eran Shtiegman
email: esht_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu

--
  |\/\/\/|       ____________________________________________
  |      |      /                                            |

BLI@psuvm.psu.edu (JEFF BRENDLE) (11/29/90)

Yes...use the Utility files MasterJuggler or (preferred by me) SuitCase II...
they are DA's which allow users in the Lab to open the Suitcases of Fonts on
a server....works very well.  I think the System on each disk will still have
to contain a few select fonts it uses for the Desktop etc. but other than that
all fonts can be moved on the server.

Jeff
PSU Student Computer Consultant

francois@welch.jhu.edu (Francois Schiettecatte) (04/28/91)

Could someone please explain what the differences between
FOND, FONT, NFNT, type 1 fonts and type 3 fonts are.

I have looked on a number of public  domain sites and
cannot find any documentation to explain what the
different types of fonts available on the mac are
and what I can get out of each format.

francois

cs421317@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs421317) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr27.220114.2599@welch.jhu.edu> francois@welch.jhu.edu (Francois Schiettecatte) writes:
>Could someone please explain what the differences between
>FOND, FONT, NFNT, type 1 fonts and type 3 fonts are.
>
>I have looked on a number of public  domain sites and
>cannot find any documentation to explain what the
>different types of fonts available on the mac are
>and what I can get out of each format.
>
>francois

FONT, FOND, and NFNT resources together describe the makeup of bitmapped or
screen fonts within the resource fork of an application. The FOND describes
the general nature of a font family (group of similar fonts). The FONT are the
actual bitmaps for each font size in the family. NFNTs (New FoNTs) was the way
that Apple used to get around a problem with ID's. Originally, there were too
few font ID's available (the ID should be unique for every different family);
the NFNT numbering scheme greatly increased therange of possible values. Some
older applications can't deal with the NFNTs.

Type 1 fonts are related to Adobe brand fonts and contain 'hints' for clues to
true Adobe Postscript interpreters. These usually had an advantage over Type 3
fonts (regular Postscript outline fonts sold by non-Adobe companies), although
since Adobe released Type 1 data, the problem is slowly going away. There are
applications available to convert Type 3's into Type 1's (as well as True Type
fonts, which are similar to Type 1's but released by Apple).

Whew! There are a number of good books availble that discuss the subject, one
is Encyclopedia Macintosh (Sybex), and another is The Font Book.

Hope this helps.

Gary Goldberg
(Temporarily cs421317@umbc5.umbc.edu)
Always a Mac fanatic