[comp.sys.mac.system] You may not *need* a manual

2fmlcalls@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/29/91)

  Like all good Mac'ers, I installed System 7 and IMMEDIATELY started dicking
around.  Ain't no big deal.  Most people out there who have owned or have had
access to a Mac for a while will find no problems figuring it out.
  Over the past several weeks, I've played with it - figuring out neat little
tricks and customizing the Desktop more and more to my liking.  But from day
one - no, hour one - I've been able to launch my programs and get right to
business as usual.
  I've seen other people who have 6.xx and a judicious store of INITs loaded up
and I felt I needed a manual just to use *their* Mac.
  Now, I'm used to a fairly straightforward set-up - I don't have a network and
SCSI devices all chained and multiple monitors and the like.  For me, the
transition was nothing requiring manuals.  People with more complicated needs
may need assistance, but I still concede that a large number of 'typical' users
can do without the manuals.

  A tip.  Set aside all your INITs and just add them one at a time.  Many of
them may not work and others will no longer be required (SunDesk comes to
mind).  And relax.

john calhoun

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr28.183951.30138@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2fmlcalls@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>  Like all good Mac'ers, I installed System 7 and IMMEDIATELY started dicking
>around.  Ain't no big deal.  Most people out there who have owned or have had
>access to a Mac for a while will find no problems figuring it out.

I agree with this statement.  I worked for two weeks with 7 before I opened
the manuals.  I was using VM, Personal File Sharing, Aliasing, the Apple Menu
Folder, the new views....just about everything.

No problem at all.

When I did open the manuals, I found a few tricks, but nothing earth shattering.

7 is easy if you know 6.

--
   /   George David Nincehelser        \  george@swbatl.sbc.com     \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \