[comp.sys.mac.system] Macintalk - Does it have a future?

drg@mdaali.mda.uth.tmc.edu (David Gutierrez) (04/25/91)

I run a Mac users group here in Houston. I just got a letter from Apple
Software Licensing that offered to let me update my distribution license
to include MacsBug 6.2, ResEdit 2.1 and Macintalk 1.31. No software would
be provided; I would have to get it from APDA or whatever.

This brings to mind two possibilities regarding Macintalk:

1) Macintalk has a future and Apple is preparing a distribution channel
for it now.

2) Those Macintalk disks are piling up in the warehouse and Apple's trying
to get what they can for them before they become completely useless.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.mda.uth.tmc.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

REEKES@applelink.apple.com (Jim Reekes) (04/26/91)

In article <5012@lib.tmc.edu>, drg@mdaali.mda.uth.tmc.edu (David Gutierrez) writes:

> I run a Mac users group here in Houston. I just got a letter from Apple
> Software Licensing that offered to let me update my distribution license
> to include MacsBug 6.2, ResEdit 2.1 and Macintalk 1.31. No software would
> be provided; I would have to get it from APDA or whatever.
>
> This brings to mind two possibilities regarding Macintalk:
>
> 1) Macintalk has a future and Apple is preparing a distribution channel
> for it now.
>
> 2) Those Macintalk disks are piling up in the warehouse and Apple's trying
> to get what they can for them before they become completely useless.

The correct answer is 3).  You got a form letter generated from a computer
database that reports any lisencing agreements that are about to expire.

Jim Reekes, Toolbox Engineer

drg@mdaali.mda.uth.tmc.edu (David Gutierrez) (04/29/91)

Gutierrez) writes:
> > This brings to mind two possibilities regarding Macintalk:
> >
> > 1) Macintalk has a future and Apple is preparing a distribution
channel
> > for it now.
> >
> > 2) Those Macintalk disks are piling up in the warehouse and Apple's
trying
> > to get what they can for them before they become completely useless.
>
> The correct answer is 3).  You got a form letter generated from a
computer
> database that reports any lisencing agreements that are about to expire.
>
> Jim Reekes, Toolbox Engineer

That doesn't sound quite right. I never had such licensing agreements in
the past, so any such offer would be for a new license. The only licenses
I had were for "System Software and Utilities", "HyperCard 2.0" (before
Claris took over - am I licensed for 2.0v2?), and "DoubleVision" -
whatever that is. I might believe that it's a computer-generated form
letter, but it shouldn't be related to any agreements about to expire.