[comp.sys.mac.system] Resedit2.1

mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Dhanapong Saengrussamee-University of North Texas) (12/14/90)

--

It seems to me that the response here is faster than on AppleLink to
MacDTS so I post my question here.  Any who knew the answer can answer

Yes, I got my 2.1 off from AppleLink.  Do I still need "ResEditFixer"
init that patch/cure some anomally of 2.0b2 or that had been "fixed"
in 2.1?

Live Long and Perspire!

__Mouse.o()~              | AppleLink: U1364 ------ BITNET: mouse@untvax
Dhanapong Saengrussamee   | BIX: d.mouse.s ------ Compu$erve: 71301,1516
Tech'Support, CECS & TCET | GEnie: d.saengrussa -------- IP: 129.120.1.4
University of North Texas | Internet: mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu ----- GMT+6
PO Box 5155 - UNT Station | UUCP: ...!uunet!ntvax!vaxb.acs.unt.edu!mouse
Denton, TX 76203-5155     | Phone: (817) 565-4435 -- FAX: (817) 565-4425

Greg@AppleLink.apple.com (Greg Marriott) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec13.200714.43586@vaxb.acs.unt.edu>
writes:
> Yes, I got my 2.1 off from AppleLink.  Do I still need "ResEditFixer"
> init that patch/cure some anomally of 2.0b2 or that had been "fixed"
> in 2.1?

You do not need ResEditFixer with ResEdit 2.1.

ResEditFixer wasn't made to fix anything specific to 2.0b2.  The same
problem exists with all previous versions of ResEdit.  The basic problem
is that when you open a non-running system file, the toolbox starts using
defProcs and other resources from that file instead of the running system.
 This wasn't a major problem in the past, but with System 7, support was
added for extra stuff like system menus and color.  Compressed resources
also cause problems because 6.0 system don't know how to decompress them.

But ResEdit 2.1 addresses all these issues.  It's great!

Greg Marriott
Just Some Guy
Apple Computer, Inc.

tom_stiller@maca.sarnoff.com (Tom Stiller) (12/15/90)

writes:
> Yes, I got my 2.1 off from AppleLink.  Do I still need "ResEditFixer"
> init that patch/cure some anomally of 2.0b2 or that had been "fixed"
> in 2.1?

The first time I launched ResEdit 2.1 I got an alert which said, in
effect, that I apparently had the ResEditFixer installed, that it was no
longer needed, and suggested that I remove it (which I did, with no ill
effects).

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed above are my own and are not necessarily those of
the David Sarnoff Research Center or SRI International.

sund@tde.lth.se (Lars Sundstr|m) (12/18/90)

In article <Dec.14.16.33.57.1990.25195@galaxy.rutgers.edu> perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (William Perez) writes:
   It's official and will be distributed to replace the old 1.2.
   It works with system 7.0 as well and has MANY bug fixes and
   new features.  I've had no problems with it yet.  NONE!

Well, I have encountered some troubles with my copy of ResEdit 2.1:

Try the DITL editor. The grid only works when moving objects but not
when changing the size of them. The grid was set to: h:4,v:4.
Moreover, after using the DITL editor for some time it starts failing
to update the window properly and finally hangs. I also very often get
the message "Memory is dangerousely low..." no matter how big the
application memory is.
| Lars Sundstrom, Lund University, Department of Applied Electronics, |
| Box 118, S-221 00 Lund, Sweden Phone: +46-46121598 Fax:+46-46129948 |
| Internet: sund@tde.lth.se                                           |

laf@mbunix.mitre.org (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec17.180900.6008@lth.se> sund@tde.lth.se (Lars Sundstr|m)
writes:
>Well, I have encountered some troubles with my copy of ResEdit 2.1:

<stuff deleted>

>+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| Lars Sundstrom, Lund University, Department of Applied Electronics, |
>| Box 118, S-221 00 Lund, Sweden Phone: +46-46121598 Fax:+46-46129948 |
>| Internet: sund@tde.lth.se                                           |
>+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

There's a feature (?) in that, when creating an ALRT or DLOG, instead
of a new DITL being created, the DITL of the corresponding resource
ID (if this DITL exists) is used.  For example, if there are DITL resources
128 through 135, and ALRT resources 128 and 129, creating a new ALRT will
cause the ALRT to use DITL 130, not a new DITL 136.  This is different
that the actions of the older ResEdits.  Is this a new feature?  Personally,
I dislike it, because I feel that creating a new alert implies creating
a new DITL...

Lee Fyock
laf@mbunix.mitre.org

drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) (03/12/91)

Where is the latest version of ResEdit (I'm assuming it's 2.1) available from?
Also, is it still shareware/freeware/whatever the early versions were?

Thanx in advance, and please reply directly to me.

Peace and Long Life,

Doug
     internet:  drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
   Compu$erve:  70511,552
       ATTnet:  (319) 353-5050

Michael.Sweeney@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Sweeney) (03/20/91)

Doug,
Resedit 2.1 is available from BMUG (Berkeley Mac User's Group) so I assume
it's probably available at a user's group in Iowa (there must be one at the
college).  If you can't find it locally, contact me and I'll send you a copy
for a disk and some postage.

  *mikes*

--
Michael Sweeney - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Michael.Sweeney

scharff@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Guillermo Scharffenorth) (04/30/91)

Thanks to all those that answer my "in which ftp-site can I find
resedit2.1" question.  The answer seems to be "in none."  Apparently
copyright prevents that resedit be distributed via ftp.

Guillermo Scharffenorth.