[comp.sys.mac.system] $400 for KanjiTalk 6.0.7?!?

miyazaki@wolf.NoSubdomain.NoDomain (Takeshi Miyazaki) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr27.003950.21853@midway.uchicago.edu>  nmm2@quads.uchicago.edu
(nathaniel marinus mccully) writes:
>In article <8766@idunno.Princeton.EDU> miyazaki@taichung.NoSubdomain.NoDomain >(Takeshi Miyazaki) writes:

>>$400 for System and HyperCard???
>>

>Yes, that's right.  The upgrade kit comes with

>Installer disk
>System Tools
>Utilities I + II
>Font disks 1-4
>HyperCard 2.0-J (lite version) -- two disks.

>Plus the usual "Macintosh Reference", "Startup", "Getting Started w/HyperCard"
>etc. manuals all translated into Japanese (localized versions of the
>6.0.7 manuals that come with any new Macintosh.)

Thank you :-)

two more questions:

1) Someone says that APDA carries KanjiTalk for $75(?). Is it still on the
   list?  Does it include manuals?

2) Is $400 a reasonable price for system software? (I know it's a secondary
   system software for most of the users. I also know in Japan we must pay
   about $500 if you have imported macs)

Takeshi Miyazaki
miyazaki@ee.princeton.edu

philip@pescadero.stanford.edu (Philip Machanick) (04/28/91)

In article <8804@idunno.Princeton.EDU> miyazaki@wolf.NoSubdomain.NoDomain
(Takeshi Miyazaki) writes:
>In article <1991Apr27.003950.21853@midway.uchicago.edu>
nmm2@quads.uchicago.edu
>(nathaniel marinus mccully) writes:
>>In article <8766@idunno.Princeton.EDU> miyazaki@taichung.NoSubdomain.NoDomain
>(Takeshi Miyazaki) writes:
>
>>>$400 for System and HyperCard???
>>>

>>Yes, that's right.  The upgrade kit comes with

[...]
>1) Someone says that APDA carries KanjiTalk for $75(?). Is it still on the
>   list?  Does it include manuals?
>
>2) Is $400 a reasonable price for system software? (I know it's a secondary
>   system software for most of the users. I also know in Japan we must pay
>   about $500 if you have imported macs)

The price listed in the current APDAlog is $70. This does not appear to
include Hypercard, and is for version 6.0.4 (revised for IIci and
Portable). It includes release notes totalling 164 pages, but no manuals.

Similar packages for US system software are $35 for 6.0.x, and $20 for obsolete
versions. These are also meant for developers specifically, and include no
manuals.

You can order from APDA by calling 1-800-282-2732 (you don't need to be a
member to order).

Philip Machanick

nmm2@quads.uchicago.edu (nathaniel marinus mccully) (04/28/91)

In article <8804@idunno.Princeton.EDU> miyazaki@wolf.NoSubdomain.NoDomain (Takeshi Miyazaki) writes:

>two more questions:
>
>1) Someone says that APDA carries KanjiTalk for $75(?). Is it still on the
>   list?  Does it include manuals?
>
>2) Is $400 a reasonable price for system software? (I know it's a secondary
>   system software for most of the users. I also know in Japan we must pay
>   about $500 if you have imported macs)

Yes, APDA will still sell the KanjiTalk system 6.0.7-J for $75 to any APDA
member.  It is also on the Developer CD Vol. VI.

The reason for this is to allow developers access to the software so that
they will be better able to localize their products to other countries'
operating systems.  However, to get the manuals, they must buy the whole kit
($400).

So, why the $400 price tag?  If you buy the upgrade kit from one of the
newly authorized Apple dealers, you get the manuals in Japanese and the
installer information and smaller user manuals in English.  You also get
something you can get nowhere else in America:  user support from a
bi-lingual system engineer that is employed full-time at the dealer.
We all know how important (and expensive) customer support is, especially
for Japanese customers.  In addition, when KanjiTalk 6.1-J comes out, you
get it (and TrueType Kanji fonts) for free.  And the same for 7.0-J (if
you can wait ^_^; that long).  In short, it's a very good deal if you
consider the other solutions available to bi-lingual businesses and
internationally-minded individuals.

One final note:  Apple says the price parity situation between the U.S. and
Japan will be getting much better, and already prices for many Apple products
in Japan have dropped more than 40% in the last few months (see the latest
postings in fj.lang.postscript).

--
!!\\   !!       !!\\ //!!			Dept. of EALC
!! \\  !!       !! \ / !!			Univ. of Chicago

ehouse@Apple.COM (Eric House) (05/01/91)

In article <8804@idunno.Princeton.EDU> miyazaki@wolf.NoSubdomain.NoDomain (Takeshi Miyazaki) writes:
>In article <1991Apr27.003950.21853@midway.uchicago.edu>  nmm2@quads.uchicago.edu
>(nathaniel marinus mccully) writes:
>>In article <8766@idunno.Princeton.EDU> miyazaki@taichung.NoSubdomain.NoDomain >(Takeshi Miyazaki) writes:
>
>>>$400 for System and HyperCard???
>>>

>>Yes, that's right.  The upgrade kit comes with
>
>>Installer disk
>>System Tools
>>Utilities I + II
>>Font disks 1-4
>>HyperCard 2.0-J (lite version) -- two disks.
>
>>Plus the usual "Macintosh Reference", "Startup", "Getting Started w/HyperCard"
>>etc. manuals all translated into Japanese (localized versions of the
>>6.0.7 manuals that come with any new Macintosh.)
>
>Thank you :-)
>
>two more questions:
>
>1) Someone says that APDA carries KanjiTalk for $75(?). Is it still on the
>   list?  Does it include manuals?
>
>2) Is $400 a reasonable price for system software? (I know it's a secondary
>   system software for most of the users. I also know in Japan we must pay
>   about $500 if you have imported macs)
>

>Takeshi Miyazaki
>miyazaki@ee.princeton.edu

Apple Computer, I think, publishes _Develop_ magazine.  Each issue of this
mag that I've seen comes with a CD that includes the latest version of just
about every international Mac OS you could imagine.  Including KanjiTalk.  I
don't have a clue what licensing restrictions there might be.

There are 4 issues per year, at $10.00 each in the US.

International subscriptions available through 815-734-4205.

(Disclaimer:  I do work at Apple, but I have no connection with _Develop_ and
am not recommending it other than as a user/reader).

Eric House			"My employer doesn't share its opinions with
			   	 me, so I can share only mine with you"

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (05/02/91)

In article <52209@apple.Apple.COM> ehouse@Apple.COM (Eric House) writes:

   Apple Computer, I think, publishes _Develop_ magazine.  Each issue
   of this mag that I've seen comes with a CD that includes the latest
   version of just about every international Mac OS you could imagine.
   Including KanjiTalk.

This is correct.  Just for fun, I installed KanjiTalk 6.0.7 in a spare
partition on my hard disk (this was using the software supplied on
the latest "d e v e l o p" CD-ROM).  Everything worked as expected,
and it was a kick to see my Mac running in Japanese.

I don't know whether you get more or better documentation when you buy
the "official" package -- probably you do.  But this is a nice (and
free) way to get started.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."