[comp.sys.mac.system] ResEdit & System 7.0

swanson@CS.Cornell.EDU (Randall A. Swanson) (04/26/91)

Does anyone know if there is a newer version of ResEdit out, or about to come
out than 2.1.

2.1 has many shortcommings when editing system 7.0 resources.

	1> It will not re-compress compressed resources after they have
		been edited.

	2> It does not have templates for all of the system 7.0 rescources.
		In particular fmnu, where the finder menus are stored.  I
		really like to add key-equivalents to my finder.

	3> The disassembling version of ResEdit 2.1 will sometimes crash, and
		will let you edit the disassembled code except in hex.

Don't get me wrong, 2.1 is a big improvement over 1.2, or even 2.0bx, but
when using it with system 7.0 it has some definite shortcommings that I would
like to see addressed in the next version.

Randall Swanson
121 Baker Tower
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853-5102

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr26.014540.21808@cs.cornell.edu>, swanson@CS.Cornell.EDU (Randall A. Swanson) writes:

> Does anyone know if there is a newer version of ResEdit out, or about to come
> out than 2.1.
>
> 2.1 has many shortcommings when editing system 7.0 resources.
>
> 	1> It will not re-compress compressed resources after they have
> 		been edited.

I've heard Apple people say that it will be some time before they
release the interface to compressed resources.  They added this into
Sys 7 for one reason only - to fit Sys 7 onto a small floppy.

Their whole compression scheme is geared to this and is not really
a generalized resource compression system.  They have realized that
this might be a good thing to add for next time around.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greg Marriott) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr26.014540.21808@cs.cornell.edu>, swanson@CS.Cornell.EDU (Randall A. Swanson) writes:
> 2.1 has many shortcommings when editing system 7.0 resources.
> 	1> It will not re-compress compressed resources after they have
> 		been edited.
The compression techniques used to compress system resources take a long time
and a lot of RAM.  In addition, compression is an undocumented (and
therefore unsupported) feature of System 7.  We're working on a general-
purpose way to implement compression which developers can make use of.  Look
for it in a future version of the system.

> 	2> It does not have templates for all of the system 7.0 rescources.
> 		In particular fmnu, where the finder menus are stored.  I
> 		really like to add key-equivalents to my finder.
'fmnu' resources are another undocumented (i.e. unsupported) piece of System 7.
It's pretty easy to "hack" out what to change to add command keys to Finder
menus... but don't write a utility to do it and expect it to work in future
versions of the system software.  Any undocumented part of the
system is subject to change without notice.

> 	3> The disassembling version of ResEdit 2.1 will sometimes crash, and
> 		will [not] let you edit the disassembled code except in hex.
Not surprising, since this version was "released" prematurely.  It has lots
of bugs.  This will likely be a part of a future version of ResEdit.

Greg Marriott
Blue Meanie
Apple Computer, Inc.

tj@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Tom Johnson) (05/02/91)

In article <13285@goofy.Apple.COM> Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greg Marriott) writes:
>'fmnu' resources are another undocumented (i.e. unsupported) piece of System 7.
>It's pretty easy to "hack" out what to change to add command keys to Finder
>menus... but don't write a utility to do it and expect it to work in future
>versions of the system software.  Any undocumented part of the
>system is subject to change without notice.

So, can someonce explain why Apple is using a different menu resource format?
What new and exciting features do fmnu's have that the regular old
MENU resources don't have?

Tom
--
Tom Johnson             "I put this moment.............................here
tj@cs.ucla.edu           I put this moment......................here