[comp.sys.mac.system] Question on Sys 7 VM

paullu@cs.UAlberta.CA (Paul Lu) (05/02/91)

Can somebody clarify if I _must_ allocate swap space while
using virtual memory under System 7.0?

That is to say, what if I'd rather use the VM to reduce
fragmentation instead of for paged/swapped memory.  Can
be done?

Thank you,
	...Paul Lu

hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu (Jon Hamilton) (05/02/91)

paullu@cs.UAlberta.CA (Paul Lu) writes:

>Can somebody clarify if I _must_ allocate swap space while
>using virtual memory under System 7.0?

>That is to say, what if I'd rather use the VM to reduce
>fragmentation instead of for paged/swapped memory.  Can
>be done?

If you're going to use VM, you must allocate disk space.  However, the VM in
system 7 will not defragment your drive for you (it doesn't require
contiguous blocks).

--
Jon Hamilton
hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu

philip@pescadero.stanford.edu (Philip Machanick) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May2.063441.17428@cs.UAlberta.CA> paullu@cs.UAlberta.CA (Paul
Lu) writes:

>Can somebody clarify if I _must_ allocate swap space while
>using virtual memory under System 7.0?
>
>That is to say, what if I'd rather use the VM to reduce
>fragmentation instead of for paged/swapped memory.  Can
>be done?

I asked the same question about a year ago, and the answer is System 7 does not
do away with fragmentation because all apps are in the same address space.
There is therefore no point in using VM without swap space (I don't know if you
can actualy do it though).

Philip Machanick

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (05/03/91)

paullu@cs.UAlberta.CA (Paul Lu) writes:

>Can somebody clarify if I _must_ allocate swap space while
>using virtual memory under System 7.0?

>That is to say, what if I'd rather use the VM to reduce
>fragmentation instead of for paged/swapped memory.  Can
>be done?

You can't turn on VM unless you have enough space on a hard drive, at which
point it will allocate all of it. I can't be sure when (or if) it does
defragging -- I used it on an empty drive and it just allocated one
contiguous block.

--
Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu