[comp.sys.mac.system] How does the Installer find "the system folder"?

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (05/01/91)

	Yesterday, I munged my IIcx running 6.0.7 with INIT's up the wazoo.
It got into a state where the hard disk looked ok if I booted off a floppy
(SUM-II's verify feature didn't find anything wrong) but if I booted off
the hard disk, it would hang just at the point where the finder windows had
been drawn but not yet filled in with icons.  The mouse wouldn't even move.

	I decided to reinstall the system.  I ran the Installer and
installed AppleShare, LaserWriter 5.2, and the IIcx system software, but it
still hung the same way.  I decided to start again from scratch, so I made
a top-level folder called foo and dragged the entire contents of my system
folder into it, leaving an empty system folder (with the little Mac icon on
it) and did the entire install again.  To my surprise, instead of
installing a fresh system in the existing system folder, it overlayed the
system in my "foo" folder.

	My question is, how does the Installer figure out where to do the
installation?  Why did it pick the folder "foo" instead of the empty folder
"System Folder"?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May1.124150.26744@phri.nyu.edu> roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
(Roy Smith) writes:
> how does the Installer figure out where to do the
> installation?

The Finder, like Santa Claus, knows what you've been doing. If you drag
both a System file and a copy of the Finder into a folder, that folder
gets "blessed" as the current system folder. There is a standard code
snippet that lets any app find the blessed folder.

To unbless a system folder, drag the Finder out of it.

A tip: Avoid having more than one blessable folder on a volume. It can be done but it's confusing for all concerned.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."