[comp.sys.mac.system] Running System 6 & 7 together...

moyer@brahms.udel.edu (Eric Moyer) (05/02/91)

  Ok, say you create two system folders on your main HardDrive, one
for 6.X.X and one for 7. A little utility program called the "blesser"
can be used to make the 6.x.x system your standard boot system, but then
how to you get back to 7.0? Blesser doesn't recognize system 7.0 as a real
system. Switch-booting (command-option doub click I think) normally lets
you swith systems but doesn't appear to recognize 7.0 either.
  Anyone got a clue?

      Eric P. Moyer          /----- You are a fluke of the universe. ---------/
  moyer@brahms.udel.edu     /         You have no right to be here.          /
   Into the night as....   /        Whether you can hear it or not,         /
  KA3YED on 28.460 MHz    /--- The universe is laughing behind your back. -/

ech@cbnewsk.att.com (ned.horvath) (05/02/91)

From article <21020@brahms.udel.edu>, by moyer@brahms.udel.edu (Eric Moyer):

>   Ok, say you create two system folders on your main HardDrive, one
> for 6.X.X and one for 7. A little utility program called the "blesser"
> can be used to make the 6.x.x system your standard boot system, but then
> how to you get back to 7.0? Blesser doesn't recognize system 7.0 as a real
> system. Switch-booting (command-option doub click I think) normally lets
> you swith systems but doesn't appear to recognize 7.0 either.

The suggestion from Greg Marriott at Apple is to maintain the unused
System file in a subfolder of its System folder (I call mine
"unused System." Catchy, huh?).  To switch systems, drag the active system
into its hidey-hole, then drag the one you want to use into its proper
folder (now the Finder and System are in the same folder), and reboot.

This works fine for me, on both a Mac II and a Mac Plus (the latter has
a third-party hard drive).

=Ned Horvath=
--

=Ned Horvath=
ehorvath@attmail.com

TOGE@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Nobukazu Toge) (05/02/91)

When having Sys 6 and 7 system folders on a same HD and Blesser is
used to switch between them -

Blesser looks for a file with filetype "ZSYS".
In system 7 the system file has filetype "zsys" (lower-case). However,
Blesser's open-file dialog has this ascii string "ZSYS" hard-coded.
This is the origin of the problem.

If you ResEdit the CODE resource 1 of Blesser, you'll find an
ASCII string "ZSYS" somewhere around byte 0x560.
What you can do is to create two copies of Blesser applications, and
ResEdit one of them to have "zsys" instead "ZSYS" in the code
resource there.  You can use one for sys 6 -> 7, and the other for
7 -> 6 switching.  I don't know if Apple approves of this, but I tried
it anyway, and it worked just fine.

Nobu Toge (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center)

#include <StandardDisclaimer.h>

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/02/91)

In article <21020@brahms.udel.edu> moyer@brahms.udel.edu (Eric Moyer) writes:
>  Ok, say you create two system folders on your main HardDrive, one
>for 6.X.X and one for 7. A little utility program called the "blesser"
>can be used to make the 6.x.x system your standard boot system, but then
>how to you get back to 7.0? Blesser doesn't recognize system 7.0 as a real
>system. Switch-booting (command-option doub click I think) normally lets
>you swith systems but doesn't appear to recognize 7.0 either.

Eric, the reason Blesser doesn't see the System 7.0 System file is that
the creator has been changed!  Under System 6.0, the System file is a
'ZSYS' file.  Under 7.0, it's a 'zsys' file.

Since Blesser looks for a file of type 'ZSYS', it doesn't see System
7.0. However, 7.0 doesn't seem to care a bit if you change it's type to
'ZSYS'.  This let's Blesser work just fine.
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company     |                                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     |  Parachuting?  Why jump out of a  |

sharp@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (05/03/91)

In article <21020@brahms.udel.edu> moyer@brahms.udel.edu (Eric Moyer) writes:

>  Ok, say you create two system folders on your main HardDrive, one
>for 6.X.X and one for 7. A little utility program called the "blesser"
>can be used to make the 6.x.x system your standard boot system, but then
>how to you get back to 7.0? Blesser doesn't recognize system 7.0 as a real
>system. Switch-booting (command-option doub click I think) normally lets

Hiya,

    The trick is that the blesser looks for a file with type 'ZSYS',
at system 7, the system file has a type 'zsys'. You need two copies of
the blesser. One of them you modify (using resedit or something
similar). Open the code resource, search ASCII for ZSYS, and change it
to zsys. That is your system 7 blesser.

	maurice

--
Maurice Sharp MSc. Student (403) 220 7690
University of Calgary Computer Science Department