[comp.sys.mac.system] Another NEED for 32bit ROM upgrade...

lance@hermix.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) (04/27/91)

I had posted another reason for needing 32bit clean ROMs...

>> There is an even LARGER need for us DEVELOPERS to be able to
>> upgrade to 32Bit ROMs and here it is:
>> 	WE CANNOT STATE OUR PRODUCTS ARE 32BIT CLEAN UNLESS WE TRY THEM!!!!

here is what someone at Apple sent me as a reply:

>You can test them under A/UX 2.0.

I know that we can run it under A/UX 2.0 for most programs....

BUT there are some things that this person should consider before
sending me this response:

1) That means we have to go buy A/UX 2.0 and another HD.
   Why another HD, because we already have 2 80meg HDs being
   used for development work and they are FULL....
   The need to go out and buy MORE hardware like this and more
   software is not really realistic..

2) What if the program will ONLY run under System 7.0? How long
   before they upgrade A/UX's Finder and System to be 100% System 7.0
   compatible? I know... You should never make a product depend of
   a certain version of the OS... But ours will because of some features
   in System 7.0 that we REQUIRE.. (right now the way we do it is not
   supported)...

Lance Ellinghouse
hermix!lance@anes.ucla.edu

davoli@natinst.com (Russell Davoli) (04/29/91)

In article <233@hermix.UUCP>, lance@hermix.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) writes:
> >> There is an even LARGER need for us DEVELOPERS to be able to
> >> upgrade to 32Bit ROMs and here it is:
> >> 	WE CANNOT STATE OUR PRODUCTS ARE 32BIT CLEAN UNLESS WE TRY THEM!!!!
>
> here is what someone at Apple sent me as a reply:
> >You can test them under A/UX 2.0.
> I know that we can run it under A/UX 2.0 for most programs....

Aside from the reasons you mentioned, buying A/UX just won't cut it for
driver developers.  As far as I know, MacOS drivers and UNIX drivers are
far different beasts...

--Russell Davoli (davoli@natinst.com)
  National Instruments Corp.

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (05/01/91)

In article <233@hermix.UUCP> lance@hermix.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) writes:
>>> 	WE CANNOT STATE OUR PRODUCTS ARE 32BIT CLEAN UNLESS WE TRY THEM!!!!
>
>here is what someone at Apple sent me as a reply:
>
>>You can test them under A/UX 2.0.

Aha! .... A/UX runs both 24-bit and 32-bit systems, A/UX does this on
all Mac II class systems, including the ones that Apple claims can not
run 32-bit mode due to ROM bugs therefore Apple must already have a software
patch for the ROM bugs that runs under A/UX, if they can do it for
A/UX they can do it for the MacOS as well ... OK Apple why not??

My system has an A/UX license, I guess I can reverse engineer this code
to use on it under 7.0.

As a rather extreme aside - since we have all been sold systems with bugs in
them don't we have a defective product? The manufacturer seems reluctant
to repair the acknowledged defect ... Can we fight this in court? How about
a class action suit?

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul
There once was a landlord from Berkeley,Whose apartments were rundown and dirty

philip@pescadero.stanford.edu (Philip Machanick) (05/01/91)

In article <836@taniwha.UUCP> paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) writes:
>Aha! .... A/UX runs both 24-bit and 32-bit systems, A/UX does this on
>all Mac II class systems, including the ones that Apple claims can not
>run 32-bit mode due to ROM bugs therefore Apple must already have a software
>patch for the ROM bugs that runs under A/UX, if they can do it for
>A/UX they can do it for the MacOS as well ... OK Apple why not??
This is not necessarily true. A/UX is a different OS, and surely doesn't
generally use the Mac memory manager. In 32-bit mode, are Mac applications (in
the "multiFinder environment") able to access any more memory than without A/UX
on a 32-bit dirty machine? If they are, then you are right. If not, then the
"bug fix" doesn't exist.

Philip Machanick

drg@mdaali.mda.uth.tmc.edu (David Gutierrez) (05/03/91)

writes:
> > >    WE CANNOT STATE OUR PRODUCTS ARE 32BIT CLEAN UNLESS WE TRY THEM!!!!
> >
> > here is what someone at Apple sent me as a reply:
> > >You can test them under A/UX 2.0.
>
> Aside from the reasons you mentioned, buying A/UX just won't cut it for
> driver developers.  As far as I know, MacOS drivers and UNIX drivers are
> far different beasts...

Besides, who wants to put up with all that Unix bullshit just to test
their Mac programs? A/UX is nicer than most flavors of Unix, but it's
still a pain in the ass.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.mda.uth.tmc.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (05/03/91)

philip@pescadero.stanford.edu (Philip Machanick) writes:

>In article <836@taniwha.UUCP> paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) writes:
>>Aha! .... A/UX runs both 24-bit and 32-bit systems, A/UX does this on
>>all Mac II class systems, including the ones that Apple claims can not
>>run 32-bit mode due to ROM bugs therefore Apple must already have a software
>>patch for the ROM bugs that runs under A/UX, if they can do it for
>>A/UX they can do it for the MacOS as well ... OK Apple why not??
>This is not necessarily true. A/UX is a different OS, and surely doesn't
>generally use the Mac memory manager. In 32-bit mode, are Mac applications (in
>the "multiFinder environment") able to access any more memory than without A/UX
>on a 32-bit dirty machine? If they are, then you are right. If not, then the
>"bug fix" doesn't exist.

>Philip Machanick

The Mac Toolbox is entirely patched-up and effecively RAM BASED when running
under A/UX.  So yes, it's possible to do it (32bit clean) without a ROM
upgrade.

| Pascal Gosselin          | Internet: P.Gosselin@CAM.ORG Applelink: CDA0585 |
| Gest-Mac Inc. Apple VAR  |   Voice (514) 767-4444   Fax (514) 767-7337     |

wilson3@husc9.harvard.edu (Frederick Wilson) (05/04/91)

Hello All,

   I thought that those of you with non-32-bit clean ROMs might like to see
this, what appears to be a legit press release. I take no responsability for
it; call Connectix.

------

Contact:   Roy McDonald
   Connectix Corporation
   800/950-5880   voice
   415/324-2958   fax
   AppleLink: CONNECTIX

For Immediate Release

CONNECTIX ANNOUNCES MODE32 and MC73

Menlo Park, California, April 30, 1991 -- Connectix Corporation today announced
two new products that offer Mac-II class systems complete compatibility with
the powerful memory features of System 7.0.  MODE32 is a software utility that
enables Mac II, IIx, IIcx, and SE/30 systems to run in standard System 7 32-bit
mode in the same manner as the more recent Mac II-family systems.  MC73 is the
PMMU memory coprocessor needed to run Apple VM or Connectix Virtual on the
original Mac II.

MODE32 is a unique utility for Mac II, IIx, IIcx, and SE/30 users who want to
use System 7 32-bit mode.  It allows these systems to access 32-bit mode
through the standard System 7Jmemory control panel in the same fashion as later
ROM systems (IIci, IIsi, IIfx and IILC).  Without MODE32, the controls for
32-bit mode do not appear on the panel and it is not possible to use 32-bit
mode.   MODE32 is an INIT and cdev which is transparent in normal operation.

Using 32-bit mode, the Mac II, IIx, IIcx, and SE/30 can access up to 128
megabytes of contiguous physical application memory and up to 1 gigabyte (1000
megabytes) of contiguous virtual memory.   This mode overcomes the traditional
8 megabyte limit of previous Macintosh Operating Systems.

MODE32 works by enabling the use of the System 7 32-bit addressing mode which
would normally not be accessible on the SE/30, II, IIx, and IIcx systems.  This
problem occurs because the software built into the ROMs of these systems was
designed only to be compatible with the less powerful 24-bit addressing mode
(which was standard in System 6.0).  By extending the compatibility of those
ROMs to the new 32-bit mode, MODE32 provides full System 7.0 32-bit
functionality to these earlier systems.

MODE32 will be of interest both to users with large amounts of physical RAM (>
8MB) and those with less RAM who would like to use more than 14MB of virtual
memory (System 7 VM or Connectix Virtual).  MODE32 has a suggested retail price
of $169 and is expected to be released concurrently with System 7.0 in mid-May.

MC73 is the Motorola 68851 Paged Memory Management Unit, commonly known as a
PMMU.  The PMMU is required in order to run System 7.0 VM on a standard Mac II.
With a PMMU, the Mac II is fully compatible with standard VM virtual memory,
but still needs MODE32 to operate physical or virtual memory in 32-bit mode.
The original 68020-based Mac II incorporated a motherboard socket specifically
designed for this memory coprocessor.  Ironically, the more recent 68020-based
Mac LC is not able to take advantage of this upgrade as it lacks the necessary
motherboard socket.

The name MC73 refers to the fact that the PMMU is the current MC68851RC16A Mask
73 version, the only version known to be fully compatible with all of the
Macintosh Operating System.  MC73 also includes a 3M disposable grounding strap
and a detailed installation manual.  The product has a list price of $179,
carries a 90-day warranty, and is shipping now.

Connectix designs, manufacturers, distributes, and publishes innovative
products for the Macintosh family of computers.  For more information call
Connectix Corporation in Menlo Park, California, at (800) 950-5880, fax (415)
324-2958, or AppleLink CONNECTIX.

-----
Disclaimer: All opinions entered here are my own and do not represent
Harvard University.