[comp.sys.mac.system] Apple will be charging for System 7.0

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (04/23/91)

Just thought you might like to know that System 7.0 will NOT be made
available through 'copy-all-you-want' dealers, user groups, etc...

Apple will be charging (I can't reveil the amount 'cuz of non-disclosure,
but I was told that I could say to customers that there will be a fee
involved) for System 7.0 .  Lets just say you could buy yourself a copy
of Windows 3.0 for a lot less.

You won't even escape the cost by buying a new Mac.  7.0 won't ship in the
box until September (at least in Canada).

That's about all I can say until May 13th...

| Pascal Gosselin          | Internet: P.Gosselin@CAM.ORG Applelink: CDA0585 |
| Gest-Mac Inc. Apple VAR  |   Voice (514) 767-4444   Fax (514) 767-7337     |

curfmanm@darkstar.cas.orst.edu (Matthew Curfmanm) (04/24/91)

Actualy, Apple really hasn't said it will charge for System 7.0.  What they
did tell the VAR's and dealers was that they 'could' charge some duplicating
charge for System 7.0: something like $20 for a copy.  I would imagine that
this permission will in fact lead to the dealers charging for copies, but
they don't have to :-)

Apple is stressing to the VAR's and dealers that anybody interested in
upgrading should buy the upgrade kit, which includes the docs.  I understand
that this will cost in around $100.00.  Their reasoning is that there are many
changes in System 7.0, and that we are not smart enough to figure them out
without reading their docs.

Apple will not be shipping System 7.0 with machines until September, to allow
developers to catch up and have System 7.0-ready apps available.

This is at least what Apple Oregon told their dealers in what might be called
a heated question and answer period regarding this subject.  There was a lot
of confussion between the dealers and Apple about the free copy thing, and
Apple kinda him-hawed around the subject, finaly saying what I mentioned above.

Matt Curfman                                           Oregon State University
curfmanm@darkstar.cas.orst.edu             Extension Computing Technology Unit
                         Standard Disclaimer Applies

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (04/24/91)

In an article pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) rambles:

>Just thought you might like to know that System 7.0 will NOT be made
>available through 'copy-all-you-want' dealers, user groups, etc...
>Apple will be charging (I can't reveil the amount 'cuz of non-disclosure,
>but I was told that I could say to customers that there will be a fee
>involved) for System 7.0 .  Lets just say you could buy yourself a copy
>of Windows 3.0 for a lot less.

There are still conflicting view apparently then... I have been told by
serveral sources that user groups will be able to distribute System 7 by the
same means that they have been distributing system 6.x.

As MacWeek reported, Apple seems to realize that system 7 will be pretty much
copies all over the place (which is the way it should be). People who do
not purchase 7.0 from a dealer will still be able to access technical support,
although they will have to pay for the calls. (A person who purchases
System 7.0 will have toll free tech support).

- Chris

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: TfChris              WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)

greg@enterprise.Sun.COM (Greg George - Sun Area Project Consultant - Midwest ) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.041147.5758@CAM.ORG>, pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) writes:
|> Just thought you might like to know that System 7.0 will NOT be made
|> available through 'copy-all-you-want' dealers, user groups, etc...
|>
|> Apple will be charging (I can't reveil the amount 'cuz of non-disclosure,
|> but I was told that I could say to customers that there will be a fee
|> involved) for System 7.0 .

|>Lets just say you could buy yourself a copy
|> of Windows 3.0 for a lot less.

Gee, thats interesting, I just spoke to a friend of mine at a large
software distributor who already has a retail price of $99.00. With
normal "street" pricing it should be selling for ~$80.00.

|> You won't even escape the cost by buying a new Mac.  7.0 won't ship in the
|> box until September (at least in Canada).
|>
|> That's about all I can say until May 13th...
|>

|> --
|> +----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|> | Pascal Gosselin          | Internet: P.Gosselin@CAM.ORG Applelink: CDA0585 |
|> | Gest-Mac Inc. Apple VAR  |   Voice (514) 767-4444   Fax (514) 767-7337     |
|> +----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

greg

Charles.E.Dubuque@dartmouth.edu (Charles E. Dubuque) (04/24/91)

a) who sez?

b) just in canada?

c) is this a joke?

Chuck

Chuck Dubuque           ||"It's one thing to think something that seems
Dartmouth College       || completely impossible. But quite another to
HB 4233 Hanover NH      || say it..." -- Silent Invasion, book II
03755                   ||
C.Dubuque@Dartmouth.edu || DartmouthUs -not- the Review, but it's close

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (04/24/91)

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) writes:

>Just thought you might like to know that System 7.0 will NOT be made
>available through 'copy-all-you-want' dealers, user groups, etc...

>Apple will be charging (I can't reveil the amount 'cuz of non-disclosure,
>but I was told that I could say to customers that there will be a fee
>involved) for System 7.0 .

Well, the rumor mill continues...

I just got off the phone with the Apple Assistance Center (Ann, by the
way, is a very nice person, and put up with me and all of my silly
questions much longer than she needed to). They claim that the policy
on System 7 will be exactly the same as before: you pay if you want
the manuals.

curfmanm@darkstar.cas.orst.edu (Matthew Curfmanm) writes:

>Actualy, Apple really hasn't said it will charge for System 7.0.  What they
>did tell the VAR's and dealers was that they 'could' charge some duplicating
>charge for System 7.0: something like $20 for a copy.  I would imagine that
>this permission will in fact lead to the dealers charging for copies, but
>they don't have to :-)

This, again according to AAC, has always been the policy, that is, that
dealers have always been allowed to charge you for duplicating costs
if they so desired.

I was not real fond of Pascal's apparent "I-know-something-you-don't-know"
attitude and giving out what is apparently misinformation, especially
given that he has been given some amount of trust by Apple with a non-
disclosure agreement. Next time, don't bother posting unless you are
willing to tell us who in Apple told you this and where it is in
writing.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (04/24/91)

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) writes:

>Just thought you might like to know that System 7.0 will NOT be made
>available through 'copy-all-you-want' dealers, user groups, etc...

>Apple will be charging (I can't reveil the amount 'cuz of non-disclosure,
>but I was told that I could say to customers that there will be a fee
>involved) for System 7.0 .  Lets just say you could buy yourself a copy
>of Windows 3.0 for a lot less.

>You won't even escape the cost by buying a new Mac.  7.0 won't ship in the
>box until September (at least in Canada).

>That's about all I can say until May 13th...

In a self-reply, I'd like to mention (as many people pointed out to me)
that this in the situation in Canada.  It seems that Apple just couldn't
take the bad press of doing a similar move in the U.S.

| Pascal Gosselin          | Internet: P.Gosselin@CAM.ORG Applelink: CDA0585 |
| Gest-Mac Inc. Apple VAR  |   Voice (514) 767-4444   Fax (514) 767-7337     |

whitneyh@ogicse.ogi.edu (Whitney Hunter ) (04/24/91)

Haven't we been through this before?  Why is everybody an expert, but no one
can agree?  Personally, I'm tired of the speculation.  May 13 is only a few
weeks away.  I guess we will find out then.

Whitney

drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) (04/24/91)

In article <20460@ogicse.ogi.edu> whitneyh@ogicse.ogi.edu (Whitney Hunter ) writes:
>Haven't we been through this before?  Why is everybody an expert, but no one
>can agree?  Personally, I'm tired of the speculation.  May 13 is only a few
>weeks away.  I guess we will find out then.
>
>Whitney

I heartily agree!  Can we drop this at long last?

'Course, I'm planning on buying it anyway. ;)

costello@UUCP (Michael E. Costello) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.041147.5758@CAM.ORG>, pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) writes:

> Just thought you might like to know that System 7.0 will NOT be made
> available through 'copy-all-you-want' dealers, user groups, etc...
>
> Apple will be charging (I can't reveil the amount 'cuz of non-disclosure,
> but I was told that I could say to customers that there will be a fee
> involved) for System 7.0 .  Lets just say you could buy yourself a copy
> of Windows 3.0 for a lot less.

Please check your information. I can tell you that we *will* be selling
System 7 as a user group. We will be selling the 9 disk upgrade package
for around $30. Of course, this does not include Apple's documentation.
Also for the first time, this will not include Hypercard 2.1 (HC 2.1
*will* be a part of the 12 disk, $99 package available from dealers).

I am coordinating the System 7 rollout meeting in Boston, which will
take place on May 22.

Apple has said all along that user groups will have access to System
7. Think about it for a minute--how else will they achieve the market
penetration that S7 needs to succeed?

Regards,

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.222508.29349@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:

>I was not real fond of Pascal's apparent "I-know-something-you-don't-know"
>attitude and giving out what is apparently misinformation, especially
>given that he has been given some amount of trust by Apple with a non-
>disclosure agreement. Next time, don't bother posting unless you are

If I were a cynic, I would consider the advantage to a VAR of "preparing" users
for an upgrade fee.  I mean, they got the information straight of "the Net".
Every source I have access to says that the software can be copied free, but
the docs will cost.

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (04/25/91)

Look, people, we heard it fron an Apple dealer (or at least a VAR...
close enough), so we *know* it isn't true. :-):-):-)

hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) (04/25/91)

I work at a danish Apple Center when I am not studying. I am going to an
Apple introduktion of system 7.0 the week before the 13th. We have been
promised the international version of 7.0 would be available there, and
a danish beta at the same time or shortly after.

The danish version will be ready this fall, and can not be distributed
before. I think this has something to to with 3rd party developers.
Apple Denmark couldn't promise me copies of any 3rd party stuff at the
introduction. So I have contacted some developers in USA to get a copy
for an introduction I am gonna make in the week when system 7.0 is
released.

Povl H. Pedersen             hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu
HP48sx archive maintainer

palmer@whistler.sfu.ca (Leigh Palmer) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.005826.1050@CAM.ORG> pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin)
writes:

>In a self-reply, I'd like to mention (as many people pointed out to me)
>that this in the situation in Canada.  It seems that Apple just couldn't
>take the bad press of doing a similar move in the U.S.

Only in Canada, you say?  Pity...

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (04/25/91)

In article <3851@texsun.Central.Sun.COM> greg@enterprise.Sun.COM (Greg George - Sun Area Project Consultant - Midwest ) writes:

>|>Lets just say you could buy yourself a copy
>|> of Windows 3.0 for a lot less.
>
>Gee, thats interesting, I just spoke to a friend of mine at a large
>software distributor who already has a retail price of $99.00. With
>normal "street" pricing it should be selling for ~$80.00.

FYI, I've seen Win3 for as low as $50...

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (04/25/91)

In article <17708@venera.isi.edu>, jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

|> >Gee, thats interesting, I just spoke to a friend of mine at a large
|> >software distributor who already has a retail price of $99.00. With
|> >normal "street" pricing it should be selling for ~$80.00.
|> >

|> FYI, I've seen Win3 for as low as $50...

For everyone who thinks Apple's policy for previous versions is unclear, I
quote from Apple's MacX Installation Guide:
  MacX requires version 6.0.4 or later ... Your authorized Apple dealer
  can give you a free upgrade if you do not have version 6.0.4.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

scott@hsvaic.boeing.com (Scott Hinckley) (04/25/91)

>In article <1991Apr23.041147.5758@CAM.ORG>, pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) writes:
>|> Apple will be charging (I can't reveil the amount 'cuz of non-disclosure,
>|> but I was told that I could say to customers that there will be a fee
>|> involved) for System 7.0 .
>|>Lets just say you could buy yourself a copy
>|> of Windows 3.0 for a lot less.

You must be thinking about the CD ROM version ($300, includes 2 manual
sets and 180 days of support).
The 14 disk set ($99 includes 1 manual and 90 days support)
--
<<<<<<<<<<<Scott Hinckley<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>VW&Apple][Forever!!!>>>>>>>>>>
Internet:scott@hsvaic.boeing.com|UUCP:...!uunet!uw-beaver!bcsaic!hsvaic!scott

kblackne@mcs.drexel.edu (Ken Blackney) (04/25/91)

In article <17708@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

>FYI, I've seen Win3 for as low as $50...

The list price for Windows 3.0 is $149.  Most store sell it for $99.  I have
never seen it for less than $75.  However, old versions (2.x) sold for $50 just
before the release of Windows 3.0.

Ken

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (05/02/91)

scott@hsvaic.boeing.com (Scott Hinckley) writes:

>You must be thinking about the CD ROM version ($300, includes 2 manual
>sets and 180 days of support).
>The 14 disk set ($99 includes 1 manual and 90 days support)
>--
><<<<<<<<<<<Scott Hinckley<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>VW&Apple][Forever!!!>>>>>>>>>>
>Internet:scott@hsvaic.boeing.com|UUCP:...!uunet!uw-beaver!bcsaic!hsvaic!scott
>DISCLAIMER: All contained herein are my opinions, they do not|+1 205 461 2073
>represent the opinions or feelings of Boeing or its management|  BTN:461-2073

NO.  In Canada, any dealer/Var that copies System 7.0 will be violating
its agreement with Apple Canada (the Dealer or VAR authorization agreement).

Basically, users in Canada will NOT be given a choice, they will HAVE to
pay to get System 7.0 legally and will automatically recieve the docs and
the support associated with the package.

Only people who purchase the higher-priced site license package will be able
make "legal" copies.

I am NOT trying to hype anything, but any Canadian user who thinks he can
just drop by a dealer on May 13th and get a copy will be seriously
dissapointed when he learns that the rules of the game have TOTALLY
changed in Canada.

This information comes directly from the System 7.0 and AU/X product
managerin Canada.  He has recommended pricing far in excess of the $50
for documentation that Apple USA will be (supposedly) offering.

In article <1991May2.055055.19376@CAM.ORG> pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) writes:

>NO.  In Canada, any dealer/Var that copies System 7.0 will be violating
>its agreement with Apple Canada (the Dealer or VAR authorization agreement).
>I am NOT trying to hype anything, but any Canadian user who thinks he can
>just drop by a dealer on May 13th and get a copy will be seriously
>dissapointed when he learns that the rules of the game have TOTALLY
>changed in Canada.
>
>This information comes directly from the System 7.0 and AU/X product
>managerin Canada.  He has recommended pricing far in excess of the $50
>for documentation that Apple USA will be (supposedly) offering.

Headline on May 13:
HUGE TRAFFIC JAM ALONG CANADA/US BORDER. APPLE COMPUTER SUSPECTED CAUSE.

oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu (Doc O'Leary) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May2.055055.19376@CAM.ORG> pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) writes, among other things:

>Basically, users in Canada will NOT be given a choice, they will HAVE to
>pay to get System 7.0 legally and will automatically recieve the docs and
>the support associated with the package.

>I am NOT trying to hype anything, but any Canadian user who thinks he can
>just drop by a dealer on May 13th and get a copy will be seriously
>dissapointed when he learns that the rules of the game have TOTALLY
>changed in Canada.

I have no idea whether this is true or not, but if it is, the implication is
that System 7 will NOT be available for anonymous ftp ANYWHERE.

         ---------   Doc

**********************   Signature Block : Version 2.5  *********************
*                                     |   OK, one last time . . . This is   *
* "Was it love, or was it the idea    |   an egg . . . This is an egg in a  *
*  of being in love?" -- PF           |   frying pan . . . Any questions?   *
*    (BTW, which one *is* Pink?)      |                                     *
*                                     |   --->oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu<---     *
******************   Copyright (c) 1991 by Doc O'Leary   ********************

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (05/03/91)

>Headline on May 13:
>HUGE TRAFFIC JAM ALONG CANADA/US BORDER. APPLE COMPUTER SUSPECTED CAUSE.

Do you know what the duty is on computer software to be brought into Canada?

They're training the dogs now to sniff out floppies hidden in the car...

--
  Gerald A. Edgar                Internet:  edgar@mps.ohio-state.edu
  Department of Mathematics      Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

billing@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Wayne Billing) (05/06/91)

In <1991May2.182914.2083@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:

>>Headline on May 13:
>>HUGE TRAFFIC JAM ALONG CANADA/US BORDER. APPLE COMPUTER SUSPECTED CAUSE.

>Do you know what the duty is on computer software to be brought into Canada?

>They're training the dogs now to sniff out floppies hidden in the car...

>--
>  Gerald A. Edgar                Internet:  edgar@mps.ohio-state.edu
>  Department of Mathematics      Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY
>  The Ohio State University      telephone: 614-292-0395 (Office)

"Free" Trade has reduced the border penalty significantly.

Wayne Billing
billing@ccm.UManitoba.CA