[comp.sys.mac.system] Simultaneous use of Localtalk and Ethertalk

mgb@generali.harvard.edu (Michael G. Burner) (05/03/91)

Is there a hardware basis for the Mac's inability to keep Localtalk
and Ethertalk ports simultaneously active, or is it a limitation in
the system software?  Either way, has there been any discussion of,
uh, correcting it?

My desire is to have the main network in my building be on Ethernet,
while allowing individuals to hang POPs (personally-owned peripherals)
off their Localtalk port (without hanging up connections every time
they switch focuses).

				Mike

| mgb@wjh12.harvard.edu | The more we make laws that our people will scoff at, |
| mgb@harvunxw.bitnet   | The more we make scofflaws of our people.            |
| mgb@wjh12.uucp        |        --The Partnership for a Free America--        |

morris@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Ted Morris) (05/04/91)

Regarding using LocalTalk and EtherTalk ports at the same time, I can't
speak to whether Apple ought to provide this or not ('twould be nice,
tho!), but if you -have- to have this, Liaison does a clean job of it.
Since it's a router, it even makes those peripherals in the LocalTalk
zone available to other Macs on the same EtherTalk segment as the
machine running Liaison.

Just a satisfied user.

Ted Morris
MORRISTA@UCMCIC.OA.UC.EDU

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May4.160106.26230@ucunix.san.uc.edu>, morris@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Ted Morris) writes:
> Regarding using LocalTalk and EtherTalk ports at the same time, I can't
> speak to whether Apple ought to provide this or not ('twould be nice,
> tho!), but if you -have- to have this, Liaison does a clean job of it.
> Since it's a router, it even makes those peripherals in the LocalTalk
> zone available to other Macs on the same EtherTalk segment as the
> machine running Liaison.

Seem like there would be a market for Liaison Lite that would only provide
the functionality needed to pass etherTalk -> localTalk for these purposes.

Liaison is nice, but way overkill for most people with this setup.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

emmayche@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Hartman) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May3.145247.1627@burrhus.harvard.edu> mgb@generali.harvard.edu (Michael G. Burner) writes:
>Is there a hardware basis for the Mac's inability to keep Localtalk
>and Ethertalk ports simultaneously active, or is it a limitation in
>the system software?  Either way, has there been any discussion of,
>uh, correcting it?

No, there's no hardware-based reason.  Farallon's Liaison product does it
very well, although it's acting as a software bridge.  It seems as though
it should be possible to do what you want here - but you'll probably have to
write it.
--
Mark Hartman, N6BMO           "What are you just standing there for?  Where
Applelink: N1083 or BINARY.TREE      do you think you are, DIS-ney World??"