[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7.0 and Free Manuals

231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) (04/25/91)

I'd like to buy the whole 7.0 package with manuals, but as a student I have no
choice.  Does anyone else agree that when Apple puts 7.0 up for ftp (let's be
optimistic here) that they should also post the MacWrite II (or whatever) files
of the manual too?  That way cheapskates or bookhaters could still read the
documentation without blowing $100.  I'm fairly sure that after reading the
docs once I won't need to look at them again anyway, so even if I had 99.95,
after one read the manuals would collect dust.  Hell, I'd even settle for a
plain mega-huge text file.

_mike gleason
231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu
university of nebraska

blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (04/27/91)

In article <231b3679.672527239@fergvax> 231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) writes:
|I'd like to buy the whole 7.0 package with manuals, but as a student I have no
|choice.  Does anyone else agree that when Apple puts 7.0 up for ftp (let's be
|optimistic here) that they should also post the MacWrite II (or whatever) files
|of the manual too?

Gee, maybe Apple should come and install System 7 on your Mac too.  And
while they're there they could do some of your homework.  And you've
problably got some term papers coming up...

--
Brian L. Matthews	blm@6sceng.UUCP

dlarkins@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Darrell B Larkins) (04/27/91)

     Being a student, I can really relate. I don't think that's asking too much
of apple. I mean surely you don't believe that they don't use a Mac WP package
probably run through PageMaker or Xpress to print up their manuals, it'd be
really hard to make those available to ftp.apple.com huh? Not a bad suggestion,
however some readers just may not appreciate the things that they may take for
granted.
     It's really hard to get any reference on the Mac whether for programming
or anything without spending $25-$35 a shot. I have the Online Companion and
really appreciate the thing on disk rather than paying for all 5 or 6 volumes
of Inside Mac.

dlarkins@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
--
------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Yes, well that's the blink-headed philistine pig-ignorance I've come to    -|

ech@cbnewsk.att.com (ned.horvath) (04/27/91)

From article <1991Apr27.030039.20417@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, by dlarkins@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Darrell B Larkins):

> Being a student, I can really relate. I don't think that's asking too much
> of apple. I mean surely you don't believe that they don't use a Mac WP package
> probably run through PageMaker or Xpress to print up their manuals, it'd be
> really hard to make those available to ftp.apple.com huh?

Being a former student, I get tired of hearing how everything ought to be
free just because that would be convenient.  The manuals on 7.0b4 come to
9.5 Mb -- that's just the USER documentation, never mind IM VI.  That's a
lot of net bandwidth to save you a few bucks.  And what are you going
to do with that after you ftp it to your local site?  Hmm, let me guess:
burn out one of the University's LaserWriter toner cartridges making
yourself a "free" copy.  Which you will skim and pitch, because this is
doc written for Gassee's Mom, who wants detailed instructions just to
get the floppies out of the box.

If you want a quality, inexpensive upgrade to 7.0, go to the next couple
of user group meetings.  You'll learn all the hot shit about the hot new
features, you'll get a nice set of 7.0 floppies for the price of the
floppies, and you'll save a few trees and most of your bucks, and you'll
meet the techNerds who already know all this stuff and will help you get
7.0 out of the box.  This is the HIGH ROAD to system 7 -- if you're a
student, you've got ENOUGH to read already, right?

And watch this space, the interesting bugs and braindamage aren't
documented, but we'll talk about 'em here...

=Ned Horvath=
Professional Student (ret.)
ehorvath@attmail.com

xdpq8@isuvax.iastate.edu (04/27/91)

I have to agree with Ned on this one too. I AM a student. It's ridiculous to
expect Apple to make the documentation available on FTP sites. You've already
gotten the machine at a discount and it runs. Do you think Apple owes you any
more??? Besides if you need manuals to figure out how to run some of the new
stuff in system 7, you probably don't really need it.  If you really want it
bad enough, you can do what a lot of other students are gonna do: Not go to
the bars for a few weeks or sell something to get the money.

umh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr27.043528.27235@cbnewsk.att.com>,
ech@cbnewsk.att.com (ned.horvath) writes:
> From article <1991Apr27.030039.20417@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, by dlarkins@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Darrell B Larkins):
>
>> Being a student, I can really relate. I don't think that's asking too much
>> of apple. I mean surely you don't believe that they don't use a Mac WP package
>> probably run through PageMaker or Xpress to print up their manuals, it'd be
>> really hard to make those available to ftp.apple.com huh?
>
> Being a former student, I get tired of hearing how everything ought to be
> free just because that would be convenient.  The manuals on 7.0b4 come to
> 9.5 Mb -- that's just the USER documentation, never mind IM VI.  That's a
> lot of net bandwidth to save you a few bucks.  And what are you going
> to do with that after you ftp it to your local site?  Hmm, let me guess:
> burn out one of the University's LaserWriter toner cartridges making
> yourself a "free" copy.  Which you will skim and pitch, because this is
> doc written for Gassee's Mom, who wants detailed instructions just to
> get the floppies out of the box.
>
> If you want a quality, inexpensive upgrade to 7.0, go to the next couple
> of user group meetings.  You'll learn all the hot shit about the hot new
> features, you'll get a nice set of 7.0 floppies for the price of the
> floppies, and you'll save a few trees and most of your bucks, and you'll
> meet the techNerds who already know all this stuff and will help you get
> 7.0 out of the box.  This is the HIGH ROAD to system 7 -- if you're a
> student, you've got ENOUGH to read already, right?
>
> And watch this space, the interesting bugs and braindamage aren't
> documented, but we'll talk about 'em here...
>
> =Ned Horvath=
> Professional Student (ret.)
> ehorvath@attmail.com

This is a totally unwarranted flame.
1) What is this mythical bandwidth being burned up by 9.5 Meg? The phone lifes
for the internet exist and are dedicated full time- they are going to have to
be replaced faster if they get used more. If someone is worried about people
with *real* work being slowed down by lots of Mac Dosumentation transfering,
put a timer in the ftp server at apple.com that only allows downloads between
8pm and 7am.

2) Why do you assume this guy is immediately going to print out all these docs
that he has explicitly stated he will read just once. Maybe he, like me, has
most of his documentation on line in his Mac, not printed, because that way
it's faster to find something.

3) Apple tries to give the impression that system software is not there to make
money for them. They imply that the cost of system 7 is for distribution
printing and such. In that case, this guy's request is perfectly reasonable- it
costs apple nothing and makes the lives of some of us easier.

Maynard Handley

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr28.092559.4307@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> umh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

Ned Horvath's (ehorvath@attmail.com) comments removed for brevity that got
the following response from Maynard Handley (umh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu).

>This is a totally unwarranted flame.

No it isn't.  Ned brings up some valid points.

>1) What is this mythical bandwidth being burned up by 9.5 Meg? The phone lifes
>for the internet exist and are dedicated full time- they are going to have to
>be replaced faster if they get used more. If someone is worried about people
>with *real* work being slowed down by lots of Mac Dosumentation transfering,
>put a timer in the ftp server at apple.com that only allows downloads between
>8pm and 7am.

Obviously you don't understand some of the structure of the internet.  Some
links *WILL NOT* be replaced or upgraded just because they are used more.
They will only be upgraded if there is a valid business reason.  Bogging down
network with stupid stuff and then trying to justify an upgrade is just going
to make some people in charge angry.  "Need more bandwidth?  Then get rid of
that news thing!!  Then come to me asking for more money!"  We don't want
that, do we?

Being a person who does *real* work, (why the **, don't you believe in real
work?) the timer on an ftp server is only a partial solution.  Some of us
work at night.

Assuming 9.5 Meg is accurate.  Do you really think it is fair and honest to
be tying up that much of a resource on a educational or business machine unless
you can justify it?  Or do you subscribe to the theory of "If you use up all
the disk space, they'll have to buy more."?  Or how about the length of time
you might be spending on a dial-up downloading 9.5 Meg to your system.  Someone
might really need that link.  Oh!  Wait a minute!  If we tie up the phone lines,
they'll have to buy more!!!  Yeah.  Right.  "They" must have some pretty deep
pockets.

>2) Why do you assume this guy is immediately going to print out all these docs
>that he has explicitly stated he will read just once. Maybe he, like me, has
>most of his documentation on line in his Mac, not printed, because that way
>it's faster to find something.

It seems to be a habit for people to print manuals that have been stored
on a computer system, but let's assume he won't.  Now, I'm going to assume
that this guy is going to be thoughtful and only use his own personal
resources.  O.K.  About 10 Meg on a 100 Meg drive costing $400 (forgive the
estimates)....comes out to $40 to store those manuals in this scenario...
your milage may vary....seems a bit expensive too me.

Let's then think about how often these docs will be accessed....once...maybe
twice...remember, these were written for somebody's mother.  These aren't
unix man pages.  Now think about how these manuals were indexed an arranged
for the printed word....more often than not, such manuals aren't easy to
navigate on a computer.  It's not hypertext, remember.

>3) Apple tries to give the impression that system software is not there to make
>money for them. They imply that the cost of system 7 is for distribution
>printing and such. In that case, this guy's request is perfectly reasonable- it
>costs apple nothing and makes the lives of some of us easier.

It does cost Apple something.  It does cost most of us something.  It just
isn't direct to us, but it is there.

It won't make life easier for the majority...these manuals don't contain
the answers to life.

In short, putting up System 7 manuals (as they now exist) is a waste of
resources.  Distributing the printed manuals makes the most sense for everybody.

Go buy the manuals....then go plant a tree (to cover some of the enviromental
cost, of course).  Then everyone will be happy.

--
   /   George David Nincehelser        \  george@swbatl.sbc.com     \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr28.165207.18209@swbatl.sbc.com>, george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) writes:
>In article <1991Apr28.092559.4307@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> umh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>Ned Horvath's (ehorvath@attmail.com) comments removed for brevity that got
>the following response from Maynard Handley (umh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu).

>>This is a totally unwarranted flame.

>No it isn't.  Ned brings up some valid points.

>>1) What is this mythical bandwidth being burned up by 9.5 Meg? The phone lifes
>>for the internet exist and are dedicated full time- they are going to have to
>>be replaced faster if they get used more.

>Obviously you don't understand some of the structure of the internet.  Some
>links *WILL NOT* be replaced or upgraded just because they are used more.

	Well, actually, in a university environment, this is *exactly* why
they get replaced or upgraded.  Many (I would say most, but I don't have
the stats to back it up) of us get our money from the government via grants
and such, and those grants have the bizarre property that they go away if
you don't use them.  If you *do* use them, you get more.  Go figure.

	This doesn't mean that I condone people wasting those resources to
do things like downloading system manuals (IMHO a *criminal* waste of
resources and time); I just wanted to clarify the situation.  Businesses,
of course, operate with real money, and such waste is probably (again, I
don't have the stats) not as prevalent.

>Assuming 9.5 Meg is accurate.  Do you really think it is fair and honest to
>be tying up that much of a resource on a educational or business machine unless
>you can justify it?

	Most students (a significant percentage of the people reading this
group, I'll bet) don't think that way.  For all students reading, this is
*NOT* a flame; the fact is, though, that students in universities are not
usually trained to consider economical usage of finite resources.  That's
not really their fault - unless you become a serious CS student, you
usually never hear about how to use computer resources effectively (i.e.,
how to fit your program into X bytes).  As far as economical resources,
most students who use computers are *never* taught to conserve.  Some rules
are enforced, perhaps, like charging for each printed page, but usually the
charge comes out of some funny-money account set up for the student.  Also,
there aren't any lay books about this topic - after all, it really isn't
all that interesting.  So, unless someone hits you in the face with it (as
often happens in the business world), you're not likely to learn how to
conserve resources.

>Or do you subscribe to the theory of "If you use up all
>the disk space, they'll have to buy more."?  Or how about the length of time
>you might be spending on a dial-up downloading 9.5 Meg to your system.  Someone
>might really need that link.  Oh!  Wait a minute!  If we tie up the phone lines,
>they'll have to buy more!!!  Yeah.  Right.  "They" must have some pretty deep
>pockets.

	Again, this is how the system really works in a university
environment.  Waste is rewarded, since "they" assume that all the money
you're spending is justifiable.  Part of the problem is that the people
actually spending the money aren't familiar with the systems they're
buying.  They must take the recommendations of those who use the systems,
who don't think in terms of finite resources.  I know this from personal
experience - while learning about system management for a VAX, I discovered
that I had to get by on less money than I "wanted".  It was a valuable
experience that I've tried to "port" to my Mac.

>In short, putting up System 7 manuals (as they now exist) is a waste of
>resources.  Distributing the printed manuals makes the most sense for everybody.

	Lest anyone was misled by my previous comments, I agree
wholeheartedly with this statement.

  John Price                   | Internet: price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
  5-145 Knudsen Hall           | BITNET:   price@uclaph
  UCLA Dept. of Physics        | SPAN:     uclapp::price
  Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259
             Where there is no solution, there is no problem.

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (04/29/91)

In article <00947CD7.132B6140@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu> price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) writes:

>>Obviously you don't understand some of the structure of the internet.  Some
>>links *WILL NOT* be replaced or upgraded just because they are used more.
>
>	Well, actually, in a university environment, this is *exactly* why
>they get replaced or upgraded.  Many (I would say most, but I don't have
>the stats to back it up) of us get our money from the government via grants
>and such, and those grants have the bizarre property that they go away if
>you don't use them.  If you *do* use them, you get more.  Go figure.
>
>	This doesn't mean that I condone people wasting those resources to
>do things like downloading system manuals (IMHO a *criminal* waste of
>resources and time); I just wanted to clarify the situation.  Businesses,
>of course, operate with real money, and such waste is probably (again, I
>don't have the stats) not as prevalent.

I see your point on the .edu side.  I was comming from the .com side as you
could tell.  I agree with your analysis wholeheartedly.

It is very sad that resoures are wasted like this.  What's worse is when some
folks from the .edu environment move to the .com environment and apply the
mindset you mention.

That's what happens when you have poor managers of technology.

The same thing that happens in the .edu world also happens in the .gov world.
It also happens if the .com world gets too large and beauracratic.

(*sigh*)

Us folks that are proponents of using our resources wisely sure have a long,
up-hill battle.

--

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr27.053351.14456@news.iastate.edu>, xdpq8@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
> I have to agree with Ned on this one too. I AM a student. It's ridiculous to
> expect Apple to make the documentation available on FTP sites. You've already
> gotten the machine at a discount and it runs. Do you think Apple owes you any
> more??? Besides if you need manuals to figure out how to run some of the new
> stuff in system 7, you probably don't really need it.  If you really want it
> bad enough, you can do what a lot of other students are gonna do: Not go to
> the bars for a few weeks or sell something to get the money.

I agree with Steve.  I am a student and I have to put myself through school.
I get tired of people bitching and moaning because "ooohhh Im a poor college
person....".

My suggestion...  Go get a job!
(Flame off)
--
Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu

xdpq8@isuvax.iastate.edu (05/02/91)

Thanks Jason. Nice to know someone else feels the same way as I do...

|Steve Fuller            |  Iowa        | I will choose the path that's clear. +
|                        |  State       | I will choose freewill.              +
|xdpq8@ccvax.iastate.edu |  University  |                        -- RUSH --    +

markc@pro-angmar.UUCP (Mark Crump) (05/07/91)

In all honesty, most of what Apple give you is useless anyway.  I picked up
the System 7 book at a show recently, more as a laugh than anythng and
found it helpfull.  agree that most of System 7 is fairly user intuitive,
but there is allways gonna be a time when you go "Now why did that do
that?".  I too just finished scool, and did bitch and moan because my major
was one that required at least 80hrs a week of work.  I ate a lot of meals
at bars where I got a soda, and ate the junk they gave you.  So please ease
up on poor college students.  At least he's not on a street corner
Mark Crump
----
ProLine:  markc@pro-angmar
Internet: pro-angmar!markc@alfalfa.com
UUCP:     uunet!alfalfa!pro-angmar!markc