[comp.sys.mac.system] Labels in 7.0?

drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) (05/05/91)

A quick question about labels in System 7--is there a way to do 'batch labeling'
ie, simultaneously set the labels of all the files in a folder to the same
label?  This could be useful on larger drives when you might have as many as
several hundred files in folders and subfolders that you'd like to give the
same label to.

Thanx in advance for any help.  Please reply directly to me, and if there's
enough interest, I'll summarize for the net.

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (05/05/91)

Sure, there is.

Command-A (Select All)
Select the label you want to change everything in the folder to.

Steve Klingsporn

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (05/06/91)

drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) writes:

>A quick question about labels in System 7--is there a way to do 'batch labeling'
>ie, simultaneously set the labels of all the files in a folder to the same
>label?  This could be useful on larger drives when you might have as many as
>several hundred files in folders and subfolders that you'd like to give the
>same label to.

>Thanx in advance for any help.  Please reply directly to me, and if there's
>enough interest, I'll summarize for the net.

Hmmm. Did Apple take out the Select All command from your Finder?
--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu

drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May5.182347.24667@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes:

>Hmmm. Did Apple take out the Select All command from your Finder?

Nyet.  But that's not quite what I had in mind.  Imagine this series of folders
which exists on my hard drive:  I have a folder in my root directory.  Inside
that folder are three tiers of subfolders.  The third tier of subfolders con-
sists of something over 50 folders.  I'd like a way to set absolutely everything
within the folder in the root directory to the same label.  If it doesn't exist,
fine.  If there's some sort of shortcut to do it without going through 50 in-
dividual folders, that's fine too.

PS, if your next idea is to 'liminate some of the folders, the answer's a "no!"
    I like my file structure just fine the way it is. =)

--
Douglas J Renze                      internet:  drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
                                       delphi:  drenze

cderossi@apple.com (Chris Derossi) (05/06/91)

In article <5901@ns-mx.uiowa.edu>, drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) writes:
> Nyet.  But that's not quite what I had in mind.  Imagine this series of folders
> which exists on my hard drive:  I have a folder in my root directory.  Inside
> that folder are three tiers of subfolders.  The third tier of subfolders con-
> sists of something over 50 folders.  I'd like a way to set absolutely everything
> within the folder in the root directory to the same label.  If it doesn't exist,
> fine.  If there's some sort of shortcut to do it without going through 50 in-
> dividual folders, that's fine too.
>
> PS, if your next idea is to 'liminate some of the folders, the answer's a "no!"
>     I like my file structure just fine the way it is. =)

HereUs how to do it:

Open your root window and change its view to a list view (by name, date, kind, etc.). Select all. Then press
command-option-rightarrow. Command-rightarrow causes the selected folders to expand, with the option
key pressed all levels of the selected folders expand.

Now you have your entire hard disk (or some subset) visible in a single window. Select All and set your label.

Check out the Finder Shortcuts under the help menu for a more complete list of the Finder's power features.

Chris Derossi
Blue Meanie
Apple Computer, Inc.

bskendig@shine.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (05/06/91)

In article <5901@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) writes:
>I have a folder in my root directory.  Inside that that folder are
>three tiers of subfolders.  The third tier of subfolders consists of
>something over 50 folders.  I'd like a way to set absolutely
>everything within the folder in the root directory to the same label.
>If it doesn't exist, fine.  If there's some sort of shortcut to do it
>without going through 50 in- dividual folders, that's fine too.

Select a text view ("View by Name", "by Date", whatever), then scroll
down through the window, clicking the folder-hierarchy arrows wherever
you see them so that the contents of all the folders will be visible
in that same window.  Then just do a "Select All", and choose a label.

Easier than opening several dozen new windows, and in fact it's
probably the easiest way to do it for large hierarchies of files until
someone comes out with a tool to do that kind of thing.

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (05/06/91)

Here's what to do.
Be in the Finder, open the folder, view by name, select all, command-shift-
right arrow, if there are still more folders, repeat the select all/command-shift-right arrow process.

Select all, finally, and choose your label, hit command-shift-left arrow.

Steve Klingsporn

In article <13341@goofy.Apple.COM> cderossi@apple.com (Chris Derossi) writes:

>HereUs how to do it:

[method deleted]

Thanx a lot for the help!  After some of the unsubtle hints that hit my mailbox
about "Select All" I figgered this out.  Now all I need is to write something
that'll automatically stick a label on a file I create in a labeled folder...

Peace.

--

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May5.182347.24667@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes:
>drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) writes:
>
>>A quick question about labels in System 7--is there a way to do 'batch labeling'
>>ie, simultaneously set the labels of all the files in a folder to the same
>>label?  This could be useful on larger drives when you might have as many as
>>several hundred files in folders and subfolders that you'd like to give the
>>same label to.
>
>>Thanx in advance for any help.  Please reply directly to me, and if there's
>>enough interest, I'll summarize for the net.
>
>Hmmm. Did Apple take out the Select All command from your Finder?

Actually, this is a good question. It would be awfully nice if the user could
select a folder, and have all files within the folders, and those within
subfolders in that folder (recursively) set to that label. I don't believe
the Select All command does that. Of course, there might be a modifier key
shortcut...

Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib/7

dmittman@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Mittman) (05/07/91)

To open all subfolders of a folder, you must be in one of the list
views:

     To expand the entire outline of the selected folder:
	cmd-opt-Right Arrow

				- David

P.S. Found in the Finder Shortcuts listing.