[comp.sys.mac.system] Disk Images

rsarin@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Raman K. Sarin) (05/08/91)

Does Anyone know where I can get a hold of a public domain program which
will allow me to put Disk IMAGES on a hard disk, and then make floppies
out of them later?  I want to put the Sys7 disk images on a hard drive in this
computer store I work for, so people can just bring in their disk and
run this package to install the images, It would save a lot of time.

-Raman Sarin

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (05/08/91)

Oh, yes.  Apple's DiskCopy 4.1 is just what you want.
Try ftp'ing to apple.com, and look in pub/dts/mac/software.license.
It's brobably a binhex'd file.

Hey, APPLE?  I'm looking for a HyperCard XCMD that will make disks
from images, and make images from disks -- one out there???

Steve Klingsporn

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (05/08/91)

In article <fy7gjk_@rpi.edu>, rsarin@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Raman K. Sarin) writes...
>Does Anyone know where I can get a hold of a public domain program which
>will allow me to put Disk IMAGES on a hard disk, and then make floppies
>out of them later?  I want to put the Sys7 disk images on a hard drive ...

Apple DiskCopy does this fine.  One fine point:  in order to to read
in the HD disk images under Multifinder, I found that it was necessary
to allocate more memory to DiskCopy than it's default setting.  I didn't
experiment, it just seemed reasonable that the partition should be larger
that 1.4 meg.   Once this change is made in the "Get Info" window for
DiskCopy, it will function perfectly as a System 7 mass diskette duplicator.

Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

In article <52904@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
>In article <fy7gjk_@rpi.edu>, rsarin@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Raman K. Sarin) writes...
>>Does Anyone know where I can get a hold of a public domain program which
>>will allow me to put Disk IMAGES on a hard disk, and then make floppies
>>out of them later?  I want to put the Sys7 disk images on a hard drive ...
>
>Apple DiskCopy does this fine.  One fine point:  in order to to read
>in the HD disk images under Multifinder, I found that it was necessary
>to allocate more memory to DiskCopy than it's default setting.  I didn't
>experiment, it just seemed reasonable that the partition should be larger
>that 1.4 meg.   Once this change is made in the "Get Info" window for
>DiskCopy, it will function perfectly as a System 7 mass diskette duplicator.

MountImage 1.2B1 is a great way of utilizing these disk images-- it allows you
to mount them as if they were real disks.