[comp.sys.mac.system] 7.0 & Type 1 Fonts

jo1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Oplinger) (05/04/91)

   I have a bunch of type 1 fonts and getting to use them in sys 7.0f3c2
is really annoying...
    first of all, suitcase 1.2.9 is *again* incompatible with this
newest version of 7.0.  i have large (~500k) font suitcases for all the
10 & 12 pt screen font versions of my outlines, and now cant find a
practical way of using them.  I tried tossing them in the sys folder
with FontPorter (came with ATM) and that failed miserably (crashes).  I
can't even open the darned suitcases in the finder ("suitcase cant be
opened because it is damaged").  i know it's not damaged because 1)
suitcase can open it under 6.0.x and 2) font/da mover can open it under
6.0.x.  well, anyway, i don't feel like tossing ~1.5 meg screen fonts
into my system file.  does anyone have ideas for a way i can get at them
to use them (i.e. with ATM?).  my wish is that suitcase II would work,
but i guess we'll have to wait for that (has anyone gotten 1.2.9 to work
with 7.0f3c2?).  until then, my interim solution is flipping back to
6.0.7 to use the fonts, but that is really annoying to do.  any ideas?
please email.. thanks..

    -- jeff

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (05/04/91)

In article <Ic8NWLS00UhBM2OI5_@andrew.cmu.edu>, jo1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Oplinger) writes:

>    I have a bunch of type 1 fonts and getting to use them in sys 7.0f3c2
> is really annoying...

I don't know if its something specific to 7.0f3c2 or with your system,
but I'm running final system 7.0 (shhh) and Suitecase II 1.2.9 and all
my Type 1 fonts with ATM are working like a charm.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (05/05/91)

The reason that Apple didn't release the betas & alphas & pre-finals
to the public is because people like you seem to be angry whenever
Apple makes a change to PRELIMINARY DEVELOPMENT SOFTWARE.

Just "Chill out," 7.0 is golden now, will be available soon, and
all the wonderful vendors will have revv'd products, for Apple was
wonderful in including developers in the development process.

While it was exciting to get all the preliminary versions, dude --
you really expect Apple to support each interim preliminary version?

Suitcase II is not "incompatible" with any "latest version" until
such a version is RELEASED.  The latest version of the Macintosh system
software, as the public knows it is 6.0.7.

Steve Klingsporn

Quit Bitching about 7.0 and prices.  Apple did a hell of a good job --
You really think that Apple would suddenly change their policy and
charge up the wazoo for System 7?  Give me a break.  And, regular
System Software with disks and manuals (that don't have to be re-written
each time from scratch in a 6.x rev) costs $50.  Now, for twice the
disks and re-written manuals, a theoretical $99 price is not bad.
I'm sure you won't NEED the manuals, and you can be assured that
wherever you are and whatever you are connected to, a 7.0 solution for
you will be available.  It's tiring to hear all this speculation that
gets hyped into what you people perceive as "facts."  Just wait.

Chill out. :)

"System 7 Rules!"

hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (05/08/91)

In article <Ic8NWLS00UhBM2OI5_@andrew.cmu.edu> jo1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Oplinger) writes:

>   I have a bunch of type 1 fonts and getting to use them in sys 7.0f3c2
>is really annoying...
>    first of all, suitcase 1.2.9 is *again* incompatible with this
>newest version of 7.0.  i have large (~500k) font suitcases for all the
>10 & 12 pt screen font versions of my outlines, and now cant find a
>practical way of using them.  I tried tossing them in the sys folder
>with FontPorter (came with ATM) and that failed miserably (crashes).  I
>can't even open the darned suitcases in the finder ("suitcase cant be
>opened because it is damaged").  i know it's not damaged because 1)
>suitcase can open it under 6.0.x and 2) font/da mover can open it under
>6.0.x.

>    -- jeff

I am not sure about the "incompatibility" (I am still using b4) but I have
a guess about this last, because it happened to me.

I was going crazy.  I couldn't use suitcase (this was before 1.29 came out)
and what was worse all my beautiful suitcases refused to open under the finder.

Then...  It hit me...

I was so used to using suitcase, I'd forgotten that I had used font & sound
valet to compress my suitcases.  Without Suitcase running to uncompress them
on the fly, they look like junk to the system.

So, get suitcase working, or un-pack your suitcases.

Josh
Josh Hodas    		Home Phone:	     (215) 222-7112
4223 Pine Street	School Office Phone: (215) 898-9514
Philadelphia, PA 19104	New E-Mail Address:  hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu