[comp.sys.mac.system] Printing colors on an Imagewriter II

jhawk@panix.uucp (John Hawkinson) (04/30/91)

Hello,

Could someone explain to me how I can print a color PICT file to an Imagewriter
II w/ a color ribbon? (i.e. what applications/utilities are necessary)? No
applications I have seem to want to print in color, except Word 4.0, which
simply prints letters/text in color, and not PICTs. Thanx in advance.

John Hawkinson
jhawk@panix.uucp

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (05/01/91)

Superpaint 2.0 will print in color. I suspect anything that will
output the original 8-color printout would.

Ian Chai     Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu
               Bitnet: 2fntnougat@ukanvax
--
Ian Chai      Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu      Bitnet: 2fntnougat@ukanvax
I don't believe in flaming. If I appear to be flaming, either (a) it's an

jess@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jess M Holle) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.004004.6825@hawk.cs.ukans.edu> chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:
>Superpaint 2.0 will print in color. I suspect anything that will
>output the original 8-color printout would.

Claris CAD and Wingz will also print in color on an Imagewriter II.

Although this is probably not the group for this question, how does the
programmer utilize the printer's color printing abilities?

Jess Holle

jhawk@panix.uucp (John Hawkinson) (05/02/91)

In <1991May1.004004.6825@hawk.cs.ukans.edu> chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:

>Superpaint 2.0 will print in color. I suspect anything that will
>output the original 8-color printout would

While Superpaint will print in color, it will not print color PICTS in color.
I need a program that does.
John Hawkinson
jhawk@panix.uucp

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (05/02/91)

>While Superpaint will print in color, it will not print color PICTS in color.
>I need a program that does.

Look for:  CheapColor.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar                Internet:  edgar@mps.ohio-state.edu
  Department of Mathematics      Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (05/04/91)

In article <1991Apr30.034552.15086@panix.uucp> jhawk@panix.uucp (John Hawkinson) writes:
>Could someone explain to me how I can print a color PICT file to an Imagewriter
>II w/ a color ribbon? (i.e. what applications/utilities are necessary)? No
>applications I have seem to want to print in color, except Word 4.0, which
>simply prints letters/text in color, and not PICTs. Thanx in advance.

Freedom of Press renders most things the Macintosh can print onto a
really large selection of printers. It supports any QuickDraw printers
(even in color) and has special support for the ImageWriter II.

This is a commercial program and it requires about 2MB to run
reasonably. It's really a PostScript interpreter and does a very good
job with color printouts on our HP PaintWriter XL. If you use any
decent page layout of graphics programs, you'll probably benefit from
FoP. The times font clone that comes with it leaves something to be
desired, but it's ok for the price (besides, ATM is supported, so the
quality might be better with ATM).

CheapColor might also be able to do what you wanted and at the fraction
of the cost.

  / Juri Munkki	    /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  / Project /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /  STORM  /

kik@wjh12.harvard.edu (Ken Kreshtool) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May3.210026.16438@santra.uucp> jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) writes:
>In article <1991Apr30.034552.15086@panix.uucp> jhawk@panix.uucp (John Hawkinson) writes:
>>Could someone explain to me how I can print a color PICT file to an Imagewriter
>>II w/ a color ribbon? (i.e. what applications/utilities are necessary)? No
>>applications I have seem to want to print in color, except Word 4.0, which
>>simply prints letters/text in color, and not PICTs. Thanx in advance.
>
>Freedom of Press renders most things the Macintosh can print onto a
>really large selection of printers. It supports any QuickDraw printers
>(even in color) and has special support for the ImageWriter II.
>
>This is a commercial program and it requires about 2MB to run
>reasonably. It's really a PostScript interpreter and does a very good
>job with color printouts on our HP PaintWriter XL. If you use any
>decent page layout of graphics programs, you'll probably benefit from
>FoP. The times font clone that comes with it leaves something to be
>desired, but it's ok for the price (besides, ATM is supported, so the
>quality might be better with ATM).

Check out Freedom of Press Light -- $55 from MacConnection.  It comes with
fewer fonts and supports fewer printers than the non-light version, but that
seems to be the only difference.  It supports the ImageWriter II.  I agree that
the Times font clone is not great (too heavy), but that's no big deal -- you
can get rid of it and use ATM with your outline fonts instead (if you got
some).  Dunno if it works in color on the ImageWriter II, but I bet so.  And
MacConnection will let you try it with a 30-day money back guarantee, about
which they tend to be superb.  I use FoP Light with my IIsi and DeskWriter for
stuff that absolutely positively has to be postscripted, and it's great.
Powerful software at a terrific price.  Dunno why more people don't know about
it (most folk, including a recent sidebar in MacWorld, only seem to know about
the $250 non-light package).  The only downsides I've found to FoP is that it
is HUGE, as Juri mentions, and that the tech support tends to be grouchy.

Ken Kreshtool
kik@wjh12.harvard.edu

emmayche@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Hartman) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May1.185725.19132@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> jess@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jess M Holle) writes:
>Although this is probably not the group for this question, how does the
>programmer utilize the printer's color printing abilities?

One must within one's program translate the color picture (be it TIFF, PICT2,
etc.) to the "original" Mac color model.  Refer to IM-1.

As a good friend of mine put it, it's "blecherous".

Those of you who have Photon Paint for Macintosh know that it also does
color ImageWriter printing, and I believe was the first color paint program
to do so (as well as being the first 32-bit color paint program).
--
Mark Hartman, N6BMO           "What are you just standing there for?  Where
Applelink: N1083 or BINARY.TREE      do you think you are, DIS-ney World??"

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (05/07/91)

In article <600@wjh12.harvard.edu> kik@wjh12.UUCP (Ken Kreshtool) writes:
>jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) writes:
>>Freedom of Press renders most things the Macintosh can print onto a
>>really large selection of printers. It supports any QuickDraw printers
>>(even in color) and has special support for the ImageWriter II.
>
>Check out Freedom of Press Light -- $55 from MacConnection.  It comes with
>fewer fonts and supports fewer printers than the non-light version, but that
>seems to be the only difference.

>Powerful software at a terrific price.  Dunno why more people don't know about
>it (most folk, including a recent sidebar in MacWorld, only seem to know about
>the $250 non-light package).  The only downsides I've found to FoP is that it
>is HUGE, as Juri mentions, and that the tech support tends to be grouchy.

I was actually talking about the light version. I though the only difference
was that it only comes with a few fonts. The light version supports color
printing to the PaintWriter, so I would be totally amazed if it didn't support
the ImageWriter II.

I didn't know that it was only $55. A co-worker actually handles all our
purchases and I just grabbed the software when it arrived and tested it.
At that price it's a must for anyone who has a quickdraw printer.

Did I mention that it runs even on a MacPlus? (At least it says so.)

clarkrs@crd.ge.com (05/08/91)

Hawkinson) writes:
>Could someone explain to me how I can print a color PICT file to an
Imagewriter
>II w/ a color ribbon? (i.e. what applications/utilities are necessary)? No
>applications I have seem to want to print in color, except Word 4.0, which
>simply prints letters/text in color, and not PICTs. Thanx in advance.

I think the application you want is GIFConverter 2.1.1.  It's $40 shareware
from the usual sources (America Online has it I think).

Or you can write Kevin Mitchell, PO Box 803066, Chicago, IL 60680-3066.

I've seen some very good color ImageWriter output -- even does 144 dpi printing
if you stretch the graphic to double size and then print at 50%.

Russ Clark
clarkrs@crd.ge.com

man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (05/08/91)

Just out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know why the ImageWriter II
can print in color but the ImageWriter I can't?

	--Mark

In article <74889@brunix.UUCP> man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) writes:
>Just out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know why the ImageWriter II
>can print in color but the ImageWriter I can't?

Because the Imagewriter II has the necessary mechanical, electronic, and
firmware support, and the Imagewriter I does not.