[comp.sys.mac.system] Final System 7 - will it fit on a 1.44meg floppy?

hlsw_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Dave Hollinsworth) (05/06/91)

Well, the title pretty much says it - will a vanilla copy of System 7 final
fit on a high density disk?  I know that there are copies floating around
already, so someone must be able to answer this one.

*Dave Hollinsworth               * It's astounding, time is fleeting.         *
*hlsw_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu * Madness takes its toll.  -Riff Raff, RHPS  *
***********   DISCLAIMER:  They're my opinions.  Are they yours?   ************

Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greg Marriott) (05/06/91)

In article <13850@ur-cc.UUCP>, hlsw_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Dave Hollinsworth) writes:

> Well, the title pretty much says it - will a vanilla copy of System 7 final
> fit on a high density disk?  I know that there are copies floating around
> already, so someone must be able to answer this one.

Well, yes and no.  I would consider a "vanilla" copy of System 7 to be all
the stuff that is installed with Easy Install.  This won't fit on an FDHD
floppy disk.  But, the Installer will let you do a Custom installation called
Minimal Install.  This is how we made the Disk Tools disk in the FDHD set
of System 7 disks.  A minimal system for all Macs will fit on an FDHD floppy.

Note:  The System 7 personal upgrade kit contains an 800K floppy set.  This is
so that Mac Plus, Mac SE and Mac II owners with only 800K floppies can install
System 7.  The Disk Tools disk in this set has a copy of 6.0.7 on it, because
there's NO WAY we could fit a fully functional version of System 7 on an
800K disk.

Greg Marriott
Blue Meanie
Apple Computer, Inc.

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (05/06/91)

The minimum configurations for each machine of 7.0 will fit on an HD
disk, yes.

Steve Klingsporn

P.S.  Apple, there seem to be bugs in Installer GM -- it hangs when trying
to install from images mounted (just the needed 4) with MountImage.

tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (05/07/91)

In article <13850@ur-cc.UUCP>, hlsw_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Dave Hollinsworth) writes:
> Well, the title pretty much says it - will a vanilla copy of System 7 final
> fit on a high density disk?  I know that there are copies floating around
> already, so someone must be able to answer this one.

> *Dave Hollinsworth               * It's astounding, time is fleeting.         *
> *hlsw_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu * Madness takes its toll.  -Riff Raff, RHPS  *
> ***********   DISCLAIMER:  They're my opinions.  Are they yours?   ************

Yes it will...  I made a System 7.0 bootup diskette for emergancy purposes.
Prepare to wait for it to bootup though...

tim

straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May6.124006.541@vax1.mankato.msus.edu> tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu writes:
>In article <13850@ur-cc.UUCP>, hlsw_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Dave Hollinsworth) writes:
>> Well, the title pretty much says it - will a vanilla copy of System 7 final
>> fit on a high density disk?
>Yes it will...  I made a System 7.0 bootup diskette for emergancy purposes.
>Prepare to wait for it to bootup though...

What about us pre-FDHD owners?  What limitations would there be when booting
off of a 6.0.x emergency floppy on a Mac whose primary HD volumes are under
7.x?  Any desktop or file system problems or issues?

For instance: I have crashed my bootable HD partition.  I want to restore my
HD from my backups by booting from my floppy drive (800K) under 6.0.5.  This
SHOULD work properly, right?

I presume that Apple has thought this one through carefully.
--
Richard Straka  AT&T Bell Laboratories, IH-6K311
UUCP:     att!ihlpf!straka       INTERNET: richard.straka@att.com

ech@cbnewsk.att.com (ned.horvath) (05/08/91)

From article <1991May8.134818.23861@cbnewsc.att.com>, by straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka):

> What about us pre-FDHD owners?  What limitations would there be when booting
> off of a 6.0.x emergency floppy on a Mac whose primary HD volumes are under
> 7.x?  Any desktop or file system problems or issues?
>
> For instance: I have crashed my bootable HD partition.  I want to restore my
> HD from my backups by booting from my floppy drive (800K) under 6.0.5.  This
> SHOULD work properly, right?

Works for me.  In particular, I run Norton Utilities off an 800K 6.0.5
floppy.  If you do a lot of file-rearranging under 6.0.x, you'll see a
thermometer tracking progress toward "configuring this volume for system 7"
or some such when you reboot under 7; you may have to hold down cmd-option
to get the desktop rebuilt as well if you do installation and such under
6.0.x without the Desktop Manager.

I can't promise your backup program will work, to take your example.  There
ARE changes in the file system internals under 7.0.  If your backup/restore
program is too smart for its own good you could have problems.  Notice tha
Retrospect 1.3 is s7 compatible and has already been distributed to
registered owners.  Gives me the warm fuzzies...(I have no connection with
Dantz/Retrospect except as a happy customer)
--

=Ned Horvath=
ehorvath@attmail.com

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.145911.23289@cbnewsk.att.com>, ech@cbnewsk.att.com (ned.horvath) writes...
>From article <1991May8.134818.23861@cbnewsc.att.com>, by straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka):
>> For instance: I have crashed my bootable HD partition.  I want to restore my
>> HD from my backups by booting from my floppy drive (800K) under 6.0.5.  This
>> SHOULD work properly, right?

>Works for me.  In particular, I run Norton Utilities off an 800K 6.0.5
>floppy.  If you do a lot of file-rearranging under 6.0.x, you'll see a
>thermometer tracking progress toward "configuring this volume for system 7"
>or some such when you reboot under 7; you may have to hold down cmd-option
>to get the desktop rebuilt as well if you do installation and such under
>6.0.x without the Desktop Manager.

A simpler method might be to use 6.0.7 as the 800 K emergency system
on pre-FDHD Macs.  That way you don't have to go through the desktop
rebuilding thing, which is potentially confusing.  Using System 6.0.5
for this won't hurt -- the disk can still be mounted and read -- you'll
just see a "DeskTop Folder" and a "Trash Folder".

Backup programs always scare me.  A bit of planning when it comes to
disk organization (keep document files out of the Applications folder)
can let you rebuild a hard-disk faster with master disks and compressed
archives of data files.  I still see no reason to make complete image
backups.

Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)