[comp.sys.mac.system] When will mac to do multitasking?

aqhx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (05/03/91)

When will Mac be able to multitask?

Tim
dhlx@cornella.cit.cornell.edu

ech@cbnewsk.att.com (ned.horvath) (05/03/91)

From article <1991May3.035637.4446@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, by aqhx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu:
> When will Mac be able to multitask?

Don't. Do. This.

The "true multitasking" flamewar seems to reignite itself every couple of
months in one or another Mac group, and the heat to light ratio rapidly
becomes astronomical.

If the current Multifinder scheme suits your needs, the answer is 1987.  If
A/UX 2.0 suits your needs, the answer is 1990.  If MF is almost there, but
lacks some needed infrastructure, the answer may be May 13, 1991: wait ten
days and see.

If none of those suits your needs, the answer is not yet.  A more specific
question might yield a more specific answer.
--

=Ned Horvath=
ehorvath@attmail.com

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May3.035637.4446@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> aqhx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
> When will Mac be able to multitask?

Since 1984.  There have been a variety of multitasking programs and operating
systems available for the Mac.  These programs have ranged from simple task
switching (DA's and Switcher), background processing (Mulitfinder), to
full pre-emptive task switching (UNIX).  There is even a group that built
a multi-processing system that steals time slices from Macs connected to
an AppleTalk network (written up in DrDobbs about 2 years ago).

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                       ...uunet!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (05/09/91)

In article <811@newave.UUCP> john@newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III) writes:
>In article <1991May3.035637.4446@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> aqhx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>> When will Mac be able to multitask?
>
>Since 1984.  There have been a variety of multitasking programs and operating
>systems available for the Mac.

This reminds me of Macintosh Basic (by Apple). I wish I had kept a copy
somewhere. I think the story of that program is that Microsoft didn't
want it to be released, so it wasn't...

If you want to see what it looked like, try finding the 1984 byte that
had the article about Mac Basic.

  / Juri Munkki	    /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  / Project /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /  STORM  /