[comp.sys.mac.system] Anyone know an email address for John Rotenstein?

elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu (James Elliott) (05/05/91)

I'd post this directly to the author if I knew his address, but it's
not listed in the program, and I hope this will somehow drift to him.
I know that his software (great stuff) makes it to UseNet, so perhaps
the path is bidirectional...

Or maybe another user can help me.

I'm a happy user of Temperament 2 (version 2.0 Oz.) and it gleefully
eliminates all my Word temp files. I've started trying FullWrite
Professional, though, and it can't seem to get the garbage that
FullWrite leaves in my system folder (which accumulates at a frightful
rate, since FW is kind of buggy and uses big "virtual memory" files).

The files are called "VMxxxx", where xxxx is a number with a variable
number of digits. I tried setting Temperament "by example" to delete
them. It recorded the type and creator values, and I said that the
files start with "VM". Even so, Temperament doesn't delete them. I am
wondering if this is because there is no space between the "VM" and
the number?

I'm running system 6.0.7 on an SE/30. Any clues?

--
Jim Elliott		      "Like a bridge he'll come between us, not a wall"
elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu

dburr@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Captain_Picard) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May4.184244.20409@spool.cs.wisc.edu> elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu (James Elliott) writes:
>I'd post this directly to the author if I knew his address, but it's
>not listed in the program, and I hope this will somehow drift to him.
>I know that his software (great stuff) makes it to UseNet, so perhaps
>the path is bidirectional...
>
>Or maybe another user can help me.
>
> [bug report for Temperament]
>
>--
>Jim Elliott		      "Like a bridge he'll come between us, not a wall"
>elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu

I too would like to get in touch with John Rotenstein, but for a different
program.  I use Logout 1.0 and love it!!  It tells me exactly how much of
a computer nerd I am :).  There are only two things I would like to tell
John:

(1) A bug: On my Mac Classic, under System 6.07, it displays a time index
    when you Restart, fine, but when you Shut Down, it fails to display
    anything.  Even with no INITs, this problem persists.

(2) A suggestion: How about having a "Log File" option, where Logout also
    keeps a Log File of when your Mac was booted, how long it was used for,
    and when it would shut down?  Yeah, other INITs/cdevs exist that do this,
    but if you put in this feature in Logout, you would consolidate the
    features of several programs all into one, which is good for us who have
    too many thingies in the System Folder. :)  Of course, this should be
    configurable from the Control Panel, since some people don't want logs.

Please, if this ever gets to John, forward me a reply to my Internet
address, or if you can, my CompuServe or AOL addresses; they're all listed
below.  Thanks!
Donald Burr, Univ. of California,Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071_____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

wpoor@poorhse.poorhouse.lexington.ma.us (Ward Poor) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May5.022809.27571@agate.berkeley.edu>, dburr@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Captain_Picard) writes:
_ In article <1991May4.184244.20409@spool.cs.wisc.edu> elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu (James Elliott) writes:
_ >I'd post this directly to the author if I knew his address, but it's
_ >not listed in the program, and I hope this will somehow drift to him.

<deleted>

_ I too would like to get in touch with John Rotenstein, but for a different
_ program.  I use Logout 1.0 and love it!!  It tells me exactly how much of

<deleted>

BCS*Mac has been trying to contact him also, to get his permission to distribute
his public domain software on our soon-to-be-published CD-ROM.  We have received
no answer from the following USMail address:

Jonathan Rotenstein
PO Box 165
Double Bay, NSW 2028
AUSTRALIA

Perhaps some persistent netter "down under" could track him down and let us
all know how to contact him.

Thanks for any help.
Ward

        Don't "Reply" to my temporarily-defective "From" address.
     The *Reply-To* address is accurate, as are the addresses below.
Ward Poor                   |  BCS Activist & Project Manager: Cee Dee Square
Poor Associates             |--------------------------------------------------
41 Munroe Rd                |           CIS: 76407,2370
Lexington, MA 02173-7823    |  BCS*Mac TBBS: Ward Poor (FidoNet 1:101/485)
                            |         Email: uupsi!poorhse!wpoor
617-861-1215                |                wpoor@poorhouse.lexington.ma.us

George.Bray@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU (George Bray) (05/08/91)

John's email address is

johnr@runxtsa.runx.oz.au

and he has also recently joined compuserve (but I dont know his ID)

enjoy,

George Bray
CSIRO Division of Information Technology    >         Phone: +61 2 887 9307
PO Box 1599  North Ryde  2113  AUSTRALIA    >           Fax: +61 2 888 7787
Internet:   George.Bray@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU    >    CompuServe:      72711,253

George Bray
CSIRO Division of Information Technology    >         Phone: +61 2 887 9307
PO Box 1599  North Ryde  2113  AUSTRALIA    >           Fax: +61 2 888 7787
Internet:   George.Bray@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU    >    CompuServe:      72711,253

philipc@runx.oz.au (Philip Craig) (05/09/91)

For all you people trying to contact John, his Internet e-mail address is:
johnr@runxtsa.runx.oz.au

He's also been seen lurking about CompuServe lately....

--
| Philip Craig          | ACSnet,Ean,CSnet: philipc@runxtsa.runx.oz.au         |
| RUNX Unix Timeshare   | Arpa:  philipc%runxtsa.runx.oz.au@UUNET.UU.NET       |

darren@runx.oz.au (Darren Challis) (05/09/91)

John does prefer being contacted on CompuServe now. If you mail him on the
net he (being in Australia) has to pay for receiving mail. His COmpuServe
ID is 75300.1262. To mail him on CompuServe via the net try:
75300.1262%CompuServe.COM
--
Darren Challis                             Internet: darren@runxtsa.runx.oz.au
ACSNet: darren@runxtsa.runx.oz           UUCP: uunet!runxtsa.runx.oz.au!darren

s57783@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (chapman alan) (05/09/91)

>Jonathan Rotenstein
>PO Box 165
>Double Bay, NSW 2028
>AUSTRALIA

>Perhaps some persistent netter "down under" could track him down and let us
>all know how to contact him.

You most certainly do have the address correct (or at least as of last year
this was the correct address, since I used it and got a response, maybe it was
because I also sent a cheque).

He does (or did) also have an email address which is (or was)

   johnr@runx.ips.oz.au

I managed to get some email through to him there last year also but I only
knew about it because my mailer did not return the mail and he mentioned
getting it in his reply (snail mail).

Be warned he is (or was) very slow to respond to my mail (of any sort).

I also have the complete Happiware collection (includes a description stack,
all documentation etc.) as at April 1990.  I possibly make it available by
ftp at our site if there was enough interest or alternatively ftp it to one
of the major archive sites.

Alan Chapman, Tutor, School of Info. Tech.| email : s57783@zeus.usq.edu.au
UCSQ, Toowoomba QLD 4350, Australia.      | "IBM's and me just don't agree"