[comp.sys.mac.system] A BOF at USENIX for MIDI on UNIX ??

nick@cs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (05/09/91)

In article <12052@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:
> I apologize for screwing up
> rec.music.synth, but a few people here may be following this thread.  I
> promise that my followup line is properly edited.

Oh well, let me try and make relevant comments...

>   Well, there's this and there's that.  Apple has indicated that in order to
> be ranked as system 7 "compatible" (which is a classification of software
> used by their HyperCard compatibility checker stack) you must be 32-bit
> clean.  However, their system software offers two modes, one of which is a
> 24-bit compatibility mode which allows you to run software which is not
> 32-bit clean.

Bear in mind that half of the Macintosh models don't have 32-bit clean
ROM's, so those of us with SE/30's are stuck with 24-bit addressing anyway.

This just cuts down the available address space. System 7.0 will still offer
all its functionality.

Now, my question: is MIDI Manager 2.0 working under System 7.0 VM yet? It
wasn't last time I asked.

If anybody's going to be at this meeting, *please* find out and extract
documentation about writing MIDI Manager applications which are VM-friendly.
Thank you.

> -- Mark Wilkins

	Nick.

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
                nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick