[comp.sys.mac.system] Trash Can Location on Desktop - Changeable?

LARRY@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu (Larry ) (05/09/91)

I've had requests from several people to move the trash to a location
other than the lower right hand corner.  Can this be done on a permanent
basis using something like ResEdit? Or any other simple way?

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski) (05/09/91)

LARRY@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu (Larry ) writes:

>I've had requests from several people to move the trash to a location
>other than the lower right hand corner.  Can this be done on a permanent
>basis using something like ResEdit? Or any other simple way?

Wait 5 days.  The Trashcan stays where you put it under 7.
Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

juh@cs.hut.fi (Juha Hyv|nen) (05/09/91)

In article <1441@unixhub.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
LARRY@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu (Larry ) writes:
+------------------------
!
! I've had requests from several people to move the trash to a location
! other than the lower right hand corner.  Can this be done on a permanent
! basis using something like ResEdit? Or any other simple way?
!........................

>From: freek@mel.fwi.uva.nl (Freek Wiedijk)
>Subject: Re: Icon Loaction on Desktop
>Date: 5 Aug 89 15:39:53 GMT
>
>The location of the Trash is relative to the lower-right corner of the
>screen.  The offset of the upper-left corner of the Trash icon with
>respect to this point is stored in the last four bytes of CODE segment
>number 3, that is the one called "Init".  (I only looked at version 6.1
>of the Finder.  I don't know about older versions.)
>
>More explicitely (on my SE):
>					y coordinate	x coordinate
>					============	============
>lower-right corner of the screen:	 342 = $0156	 512 = $0200
>last four bytes of CODE resource 3:	 -58 = $FFC6	 -56 = $FFC8
>					------------ +	------------ +
>upper-left corner of Trash icon:	 284 = $011C	 456 = $01C8
>
>Notice that both offsets are negative, and that the vertical offset is
>stored first (because that is the proper order for Points).
>
>I hope this helps.  Greetings,
>
>Freek "Digitalistengebroed" Wiedijk               Path: uunet!fwi.uva.nl!freek
>#P:+/ = #+/P?*+/ = i<<*+/P?*+/ = +/i<<**P?*+/ = +/(i<<*P?)*+/ = +/+/(i<<*P?)**

It works for me (system 6.0.5).

	   / (.__o
	  /_/ __/		..
	! /  !		Juha Hyvonen
	!/ ) !		juh@cs.hut.fi
	 ------

ICBAL@ASUACAD.BITNET (05/09/91)

>I've had requests from several people to move the trash to a location
>other than the lower right hand corner.  Can this be done on a permanent
>basis using something like ResEdit? Or any other simple way?

This can easily be done with a utility which is available in the Sumex
archives:  util/trashcan-mover.hqx
With it, you just click on the location where you want to move the trash
can.

Bruce Long  icbal@asuvm.inre.asu.edu

art_jeyes.f2b@f2bgate.jhuapl.edu (Art Jeyes) (05/09/91)

	Or you could just wait for system 7... trash can will then be relocateable
..

Art Jeyes
Internet: art_jeyes.f2b@f2bgate.jhuapl.edu

******
Disclaimer: My organization does not allow opinions.
                  Personal or otherwise.

******
                       Indecision is the key to flexability.
                              Bart Zaino, circa 1976