[comp.sys.mac.system] I'm a 7.0 virgin. Someone please break me in gently.

triantos@acsu.buffalo.edu (Nick B Triantos) (05/08/91)

Hi.

Today I just installed 7.0f2c2 on my SE with 4M RAM.  So far, I haven't really
been paying much attention to the 7.0-related discussions, since I figured,
"Well, they don't directly pertain to me, and I *do* have about 3,128 projects
due next week."  So, here's my questions:

  1.  What goes in the Startup folder?  All my inits seem to groan unless they
      are put in the Extensions folder.

  2.  From what I understand, you should be able to use any icon for any
      program (this out of May 91 MacUser) (unless my reading skills are far
      worse than I thought).  Any yea's or nay's?

  3.  Since I have obviously opened a garbage truck-sized can of worms for
      myself by attempting to install 7.0 without knowing dookie-squat about
      it,  does anyone out there in netland maintain a summary file of all the
      little nifties about Apple's new baby?

Please, send e-mail, and I'll post a summary if I can make one.

-Nick Triantos
--
  __      |    _____              |           University at Buffalo
 /  \ o _ |/  /  |  \ _ o __  __ -+- __  ___  triantos@acsu.buffalo.edu
|    ||/  |\     |   / \|/  |/  \ | /  \(___
\    /|\_ | \    |   |  |\_/||  | \_\__/ ___)   "Bus Error: Passengers Dumped."

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (05/08/91)

In article <TRIANTOS.91May8041355@lictor.acsu.buffalo.edu>, triantos@acsu.buffalo.edu (Nick B Triantos) writes...
>Today I just installed 7.0f2c2 on my SE with 4M RAM.  So far, I haven't really
>been paying much attention to the 7.0-related discussions, since I figured,
>"Well, they don't directly pertain to me, and I *do* have about 3,128 projects
>due next week."  So, here's my questions:

It's worth waiting for the real release on this -- why go through the
hassle of installing FC2 if you can get the real thing on May 13.
Moreover, it is worth using the installer for this upgrade.

If you want to use virtual memory, you will also need to update your
hard disk using the new HD SC setup.  This is worth doing systematically;
good opportunity to back up, reinitialize, and only add back the things
that you really need.  System 7 does a few things that I used to do
with third-party stuff.  For example, I dumped several DeskWriter fonts
for the TrueType ones.  Screen looks better, hard-copy looks the same,
and many K have been saved by getting rid of screen/printer font
redundancy.

>  1.  What goes in the Startup folder?  All my inits seem to groan unless they
>      are put in the Extensions folder.

"Inits are EVIL" **   Those inits that I can't live without (Moire, SuperClock,
Windowshade, and the Disinfectant init) are loading happily from the
"Control Panels" folder.

2.,3. -- Regarding the other questions:  I found that I could drive System 7
right off the lot.  Fine points that aren't covered by "Balloon Help" or the
built-in "Finder ShortCuts" can wait.  When I need more, I'll buy the upgrade
or maybe the inevitable Addison-Wesley "Fun with System 7.0".

Don't be afraid to experiment.  I haven't read an Apple manual yet ...
System 7 is more complex than 6, but it doesn't do anything unexpected
if you just poke around.  Mostly, I just found myself discovering
unexpected "nice" touches -- I was up all night saying "Wow".

This upgrade might be like going from the first HFS system to 6.0.5
with MF all in one leap ... substantial changes but the same ideas
apply ... it's just better, that's all.

-- Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

** Michael Libes, author of _Launch

d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (05/09/91)

In article <53022@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:

   >Today I just installed 7.0f2c2 on my SE with 4M RAM.  So far, I haven't

   If you want to use virtual memory, you will also need to update your
   hard disk using the new HD SC setup.  This is worth doing systematically;

He's also going to have to shell out lots of $$ for a SE->SE/30
upgrade, Plusses, SEs, Classics and LCs can't use virtual memory,
since they have no MMU. Neither can the original II.

Remember he was a virgin, don't give him hopes that will disappoint
him :-)

--
						Jon W{tte
						h+@nada.kth.se

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (05/10/91)

In article <D88-JWA.91May9143643@byse.nada.kth.se> d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:

>In article <53022@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
>
> >Today I just installed 7.0f2c2 on my SE with 4M RAM.  So far, I haven't
>
> If you want to use virtual memory, you will also need to update your
> hard disk using the new HD SC setup.  This is worth doing systematically;
>
>He's also going to have to shell out lots of $$ for a SE->SE/30
>upgrade, Plusses, SEs, Classics and LCs can't use virtual memory,
>since they have no MMU. Neither can the original II.
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Without adding the ~$175 PMMU chip, that is.

jas

Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (Bill Johnston) (05/10/91)

In article <D88-JWA.91May9143643@byse.nada.kth.se>,
d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes...

>In article <53022@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:

Virgin >>Today I just installed 7.0f2c2 on my SE with 4M RAM.

J>   If you want to use virtual memory, you will also need to update your
J>   hard disk using the new HD SC setup.  This is worth doing systematically;

W>He's also going to have to shell out lots of $$ for a SE->SE/30
W>upgrade, Plusses, SEs, Classics and LCs can't use virtual memory,
W>since they have no MMU. Neither can the original II.

W>Remember he was a virgin, don't give him hopes that will disappoint
W>him :-)

I see the "smiley" and understand the point, but I think that a 4 meg
SE is a reasonable platform for 7.0.  System 7 has many "nice" features
that don't require a IIfx -- they are just better.  You don't have to
run virtual memory to run 7, either.  I turned it on once and went
back to using my 5 meg physical.  It's just another "nice" thing
that is there if you need it.

Not such an earth-shattering, Mac-user-schism-ing thing at all.
It costs a bit more ram to load, but it also replaced a few ram-hungry
inits.  My System/Finder partition under 7 takes 1.4 meg;  under 6.0.5
it was System 800K , Finder 288K.  That's not such a big difference.

-- Bill Johnston (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)
-- 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949

In article <D88-JWA.91May9143643@byse.nada.kth.se> d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:

>He's also going to have to shell out lots of $$ for a SE->SE/30
>upgrade, Plusses, SEs, Classics and LCs can't use virtual memory,
>since they have no MMU. Neither can the original II.

My original II is screaming in protest at this slander.  Seems someone took
its H_MMU_ out, stuck it in a plastic box marked "REUSABLE CONTAINER-- DO NOT
DISCARD", and stuck the previous contents of the box in the II.