[comp.sys.mac.system] Suggestions for aliases in System 7

dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) (04/27/91)

Here are some suggestions that I feel could be very useful for working with
aliases in System 7:

	1) Holding down a modifier key while moving (copying) and alias from
one volume to another will copy the ORIGINAL to the destination.
	2) The same while moving an alias from one place to another on the same
volume will move the original.
	3) Holding down a modifier key while dragging an original from one
place to another will make it an alias in the destination. Also a different
modifier should keep the "duplication of the original" shortcut available.
	4) Also the "find original" command could have a shortcut like holding
down a modifier while double-clicking an alias to find the original. Get Info
is a little much for a lazy guy like me :).

My hope is maybe some (or all?) of these suggestions could be incorporated into
a future release of System 7. Might as well suggest them now- the earlier the
better. Any comments?

P.S. Do any of these exist now?

Dan

--
/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|   Dan Weisman -  University of Miami - Florida   |  ||   ||   ||   ||   |

ech@cbnewsk.att.com (ned.horvath) (04/30/91)

From article <1991Apr26.150233.9371@umiami.ir.miami.edu>, by dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man):
> Here are some suggestions that I feel could be very useful for working with
> aliases in System 7:
>
> 	1) Holding down a modifier key while moving (copying) and alias from
> one volume to another will copy the ORIGINAL to the destination.

This is one I can live without (you DID ask for comments...)

> 	2) The same while moving an alias from one place to another on the same
> volume will move the original.

This one makes my head hurt.  But, like the first one, I wouldn't remember
the shortcut if I had it.

> 	3) Holding down a modifier key while dragging an original from one
> place to another will make it an alias in the destination. Also a different
> modifier should keep the "duplication of the original" shortcut available.

This one is actually a hole in the current 7.0 Finder.  If I want an alias
on a writeable volume for a file on a read-only volume, there's no way to
get it from the Finder right now.  Those of us who have grown dependent
on CD ROMs of late would like to see this one RSN.

> 	4) Also the "find original" command could have a shortcut like holding
> down a modifier while double-clicking an alias to find the original. Get Info
> is a little much for a lazy guy like me :).

Again, in practice, I don't need to find the original often enough to care.

These are opinions based on maybe two months using the 7.0 finder, but
they remain only my opinions.  I haven't installed it for my Mom yet...

=Ned Horvath=
ehorvath@attmail.com

boerned@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Dan Boerner) (04/30/91)

I have to agree with Ned on this one.  When I first read your post I thought
you were describing the current implementation instead of your wishlist, and
I got nervous thinking about the havok I could cause by using the option key
when dragging aliases around.  Your suggestions add power but at too high a
price for me, increased complexity.

With regards to CD vols, hear hear, I want to alias a HC stack on a CD and
have the machine resolve it by requesting I insert the appropriate CD.

Currently you also can't alias a CD volume itself if it is on another machine
and wasn't mounted when that machine was booted.  Here in the lab we were
hoping to mount all our CDs on the server and then pass out aliases, alas it
doesn't work.

One thing that we have used aliases for is Server Volumes.  If you alias a
mounted server volume and then resolve it later when the volume is not
mounted, the finder will popup the mounting dialog and away you go.  Much
better than wading through the chooser dialogs.

Enough for now,
Dan Boerner
CS Master's Student @ Oregon State University

P.S. I have installed 7.0b4 on my mom's new classic (4meg), I know what guts,
but I just couldn't stomach explaining the Font/DA Mover and the whole
System/Finder dichotomy one more time.  Just to keep things in perspective,
after her first day tour of the Mac, System 7.0 and MacWrite II, my mom was
most impressed by of all things, Calculator.  "This thing has a calculator
built in?  Wow!"  Now if I could only get my dad going...

kent@sunfs3.Camex.COM (Kent Borg) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr30.033152.9440@cbnewsk.att.com> ech@cbnewsk.att.com (ned.horvath) writes:
>This one is actually a hole in the current 7.0 Finder.  If I want an alias
>on a writeable volume for a file on a read-only volume, there's no way to
>get it from the Finder right now.  Those of us who have grown dependent
>on CD ROMs of late would like to see this one RSN.

I think RSN is here, that they have fixed this in current 7.0
versions.  I have seen CD-ROMs mounted via AppleShare suggest that the
alias you have asked for be put on your desktop.  Similarly,
attempting to make an alias of an icon on a locked floppy will offer
instead to put the alias on the desktop.  I have not personally
witnessed this with a local CD-ROM (those FC versions of 7.0 are hard
to come by in every hardware configuration), but I bet it also works
by now.

--
Kent Borg                            internet: kent@camex.com   AOL: kent borg
                                            H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617) 426-3577

winders@aux.support.apple.com (Scott Winders) (05/01/91)

(ned.horvath) writes:

> This one is actually a hole in the current 7.0 Finder.  If I want an
> alias on a writeable volume for a file on a read-only volume, there's
> no way to get it from the Finder right now.  Those of us who have grown
> dependent on CD ROMs of late would like to see this one RSN.

Actually Ned, if you try to create an alias for a file on a read-only
volume, the Finder presents you with this message:

           The disk is locked, so you cannot make
           changes here. Do you want to create the
           alias on the desktop?

                               Cancel         OK

Clicking "OK" puts the alias on the desktop....

Scott Winders
internet: winders@aux.support.apple.com
AppleLink: winders.s@applelink.apple.com

ech@cbnewsk.att.com (ned.horvath) (05/02/91)

I wrote,

From article <1985@camex.COM>, by kent@sunfs3.Camex.COM (Kent Borg):
> ...attempting to make an alias of an icon on a locked floppy will offer
> instead to put the alias on the desktop.  I have not personally
> witnessed this with a local CD-ROM (those FC versions of 7.0 are hard
> to come by in every hardware configuration), but I bet it also works
> by now.

Thanks, Kent, this changed between b4 and f2: what you report is also true
for CD ROM volumes (as you might expect).

Oh, and thanks, oh unsung late but not too late Finder engineer who put thi
in...

--

=Ned Horvath=
ehorvath@attmail.com

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D.) (05/06/91)

winders@aux.support.apple.com (Scott Winders) writes:

>Clicking "OK" puts the alias on the desktop....

[If you try to make an alias on a locked volume...]

Now, is it safe to assume that it puts it on the desktop of the System
Volume? (Startup volume, whatever you call it...)

	-=Alan
   Who, me?  Nope, I didn't say that.  Must have been my evil twin
	   Who am I? aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu <Alan D.>
   Where am I? Brandeis University Box 3130 Waltham, MA 02254-9110

Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greg Marriott) (05/10/91)

In article <aland.673472552@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>, aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D.) writes:
> winders@aux.support.apple.com (Scott Winders) writes:
> >Clicking "OK" puts the alias on the desktop....
> [If you try to make an alias on a locked volume...]
>
> Now, is it safe to assume that it puts it on the desktop of the System
> Volume? (Startup volume, whatever you call it...)

Yes.

Greg Marriott
Blue Meanie
Apple Computer, Inc.