[comp.sys.mac.system] apple.apple.com and ftp.apple.com

Charles.E.Dubuque@dartmouth.edu (Charles E. Dubuque) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.191603.7255@njitgw.njit.edu>
gaines@mars.njit.edu (Starman) writes:

> >The following note from Mark Johnson has appeared on apple.com:
> >
> >System 7.0 will NOT be posted on Apple.com (130.43.2.2), so do not bother
>
> This is starting to really annoy me. I'm sorry, every week it's a
> different quote from a different Apple person and it's always
> yes/no/yes/no. It's almost as if they're saying yes on the even weeks,
> no on the odd weeks. What is Apple going to gain by keeping 6.0.7 on
> ftp.apple.com? NOBODY will want it. I would guess that's a waste of
> resources, eh? I'm still waiting for a message on comp.sys.mac.announce.

This is not just a "quote from an Apple person." This README file
greets everyone who attempts to log on to Apple.apple.com and goes to
the DTS directory. So I assume it's probably the final word. This only
refers to apple.apple.com, however. On ftp.apple.com, there is a
directory on the first level that says "watch_here" and already under
dts/mac/watch_here there is the System 7.0 compatability stack and
Guide to System 7.0 stack. (I found out that some of my really old
software that I never really use just won't work under system 7.0. Good
excuse to get rid of it all, huh?) So, system 7.0 will probably be
available from ftp.apple.com, although we have already been explicitly
told to STAY AWAY FROM APPLE.APPLE.COM

Chuck

c.dubuque@dartmouth.edu