[comp.sys.mac.system] Unchangable device names in 7.0b5

teg@odgate.odesta.com (Todd Grinnell) (05/09/91)

I'm running System 7.0b5 on my Mac IIfx and I've noticed that, except on
rare occasions, I can no longer change the names of my devices.  When I
bring up Balloon Help and place the arrow over a device's name, I get "This
icon's name cannot be changed."  The disk is not locked in any way (I can
change the name with system 6.0.7 running), and no other tools can change
the name either (MPW and Disktop give an OS error -59, file system internal
error).  This happens to others running system 7.0b5 on other macs as well.
Is this a bug or a feature?

--
Todd Grinnell					| Odesta Corporation
		   "Less talk -- More synthohol"| 4084 Commercial Ave.

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) (05/10/91)

Todd Grinnell:
|I'm running System 7.0b5 on my Mac IIfx and I've noticed that, except on
|rare occasions, I can no longer change the names of my devices.  When I
|bring up Balloon Help and place the arrow over a device's name, I get "This
|icon's name cannot be changed."  The disk is not locked in any way (I can
|change the name with system 6.0.7 running), and no other tools can change
|the name either (MPW and Disktop give an OS error -59, file system internal
|error).  This happens to others running system 7.0b5 on other macs as well.
|Is this a bug or a feature?

error -59 means "can't rename."

The reason is that you have File Sharing turned on, and that prevents
disks from being renamed.

Is this a bug or a feature? Hell, don't ask me.

bill coderre
who actually has read the manuals

teg@odgate.odesta.com (Todd Grinnell) (05/12/91)

teg@odgate.odesta.com (Todd Grinnell) writes:

>I'm running System 7.0b5 on my Mac IIfx and I've noticed that, except on
>rare occasions, I can no longer change the names of my devices.  When I
>bring up Balloon Help and place the arrow over a device's name, I get "This
>icon's name cannot be changed."  The disk is not locked in any way (I can
>change the name with system 6.0.7 running), and no other tools can change
>the name either (MPW and Disktop give an OS error -59, file system internal
>error).  This happens to others running system 7.0b5 on other macs as well.
>Is this a bug or a feature?

>--
>Todd Grinnell					| Odesta Corporation
>		   "Less talk -- More synthohol"| 4084 Commercial Ave.
>		   			Lt. Worf| Northbrook, IL  60062
>mcdchg!ecgcurly!odgate!teg			| (708) 498-5615

Okay, we found the problem.  It appears that when you have file sharing
turned on, it locks the device names...I guess that makes sense :-|
Therefore, if you turn sharing off, you can again rename.  This was only an
issue as I have partitioned my La Cie 105 into several logical drives, and
had installed sys6 on one and sys7 on another, and as startup disk works
only with physical devices, not logical, I could only control which system
loaded by making the logical partition with the desired system
alphabetically first.

Thanks for listening!

t-bone