[comp.sys.mac.system] Mac Basic c.1984

weave@chopin.udel.edu (Ken Weaverling) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May8.190544.26692@santra.uucp>
    jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) writes:

>This reminds me of Macintosh Basic (by Apple). I wish I had kept a copy
>somewhere. I think the story of that program is that Microsoft didn't
>want it to be released, so it wasn't...

What a mistake that was. Back when there were NO programming tools for the
Mac around (had to have a Lisa).  I eagerly awaited BASIC. Apple's BASIC
got squashed, so we were stuck with Microsoft BASIC 1.0 -- an almost
verbatim port from MS/DOS Basic. Even had to type in LOAD "filename"

(Well, there was an Open command under File menu, but it poped up a dialog box
with a single TextEdit line to enter the file name. If you wanted to see
what files there were on disk, had to enter the command FILES)

Apple killing MacBasic was a major disappointment. Just another example
of Microsoft blackmailing. I hope the FTC breaks MS up...