[comp.sys.mac.system] Icon grid settings, Finder 7/6.1.x

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (04/15/91)

I've been trying to reconfigure my Finder 6.1.7's LAYO resource so
its icon grid is consistent with the default positioning in Finder 7.0b4.
I managed to come up with the following figures:

	Icon horizontal spacing: 64 pixels
	Icon vertical spacing: 52 pixels
	Icon vertical phase: 26 pixels

However, it is NOT SAFE to configure Finder 6.1.x with these settings!
I've been getting frequent hangs trying to do it.

The problem is that Finder 6.1.x can't deal with settings where the
vertical phase is exactly half the vertical spacing. If you set it off
by 1 pixel (e g change the phase distance to 25), it seems to work OK.

PS: I like the feature in Finder 7 where holding down the command
key temporarily *toggles* the state of the "always grid drags"
setting--that is it turns it off if your default is to have it on.

Here's looking forward to the official release...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+12:00
$ show node
%DCL-W-ABKEYW, ambiguous qualifier or keyword - supply more characters
 \NODE\

leo@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Leo Breebaart) (04/25/91)

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:

> I've been trying to reconfigure my Finder 6.1.7's LAYO resource so
> its icon grid is consistent with the default positioning in Finder 7.0b4.

Personally, I am much more interested in reconfiguring System 7.0's
Finder so that *it's* icon grid is consistent with what I am used
to under 6.1.7.

I know the fact that in System 7.0 the LAYO resource is nowhere to
be found has come up before in this group, but I never saw an alternative
or solution mentioned, so I thought that Lawrence's article was a
good place to start bringing this up again:

    Can I change the icon grid spacing in System 7.0?
    If so: how?

All answers much appreciated,

--
Leo Breebaart  (leo @ duttnph.tudelft.nl)

weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (05/12/91)

In article <leo.672567485@galaxy> leo@duttnph.tudelft.nl writes:
>I know the fact that in System 7.0 the LAYO resource is nowhere to
>be found has come up before in this group, but I never saw an alternative
>or solution mentioned, so I thought that Lawrence's article was a
>good place to start bringing this up again:
>
>    Can I change the icon grid spacing in System 7.0?
>    If so: how?

It wasn't until yesterday that I managed to get the new MacUser issue, with
the System 7 article in it.  It appears, though, that you can set the grid
with the Views cdev.  Now, I understand that the cdev itself doesn't have
but two different types (straight or staggered), but perhaps the LAYO resource
resides within that cdev, and not within System.
--
-  Michael Weiss  weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu  |  School of Engineering and  -