[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7 VM

weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (05/12/91)

Does anyone happen to know if you can use server disk space for Virtual
Memory?  I realize that it would be lower than the 7-year itch, but since
VM is supposed to be for those rare occasions when you REALLY need it...
--
\ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
-  Michael Weiss  weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu  |  School of Engineering and  -

mlbarrow@athena.mit.edu (Michael L Barrow) (05/13/91)

In article <2728@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) writes:

   Does anyone happen to know if you can use server disk space for Virtual
   Memory?  I realize that it would be lower than the 7-year itch, but since
   VM is supposed to be for those rare occasions when you REALLY need it...
   --
   \ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
   -  Michael Weiss  weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu  |  School of Engineering and  -
   -                 izzydp5@oac.ucla.edu        |    Applied Science, UCLA    -
   / | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | \

NO! NO! NO!

You can't do this & with good reason. VM is slow as it is being on a
secondary storage device. I wouldn't want to wait for pages to swap over
a network!

A general note to anyone: If you don't know that much about VM and how
it's to be used, grab a good intro book on UNIX or Operating Systems.
The network disk for VM space concept is clearly against the VM
philosophy!

| Michael L Barrow    | "If any of the above offended you, it was     |
| <mlbarrow@mit.edu>  |  my idea to do it -- not MIT's"               |
|     Consultant      | MIT Computing Support Services (CSS)          |
|     Member          | Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)   |
|     Student         | Computer Engineering Major, '93               |

krk@cs.purdue.EDU (Kevin Kuehl) (05/13/91)

In article <MLBARROW.91May12184059@mountain-dew.mit.edu> mlbarrow@athena.mit.edu (Michael L Barrow) writes:
>   Does anyone happen to know if you can use server disk space for Virtual
>   Memory?  I realize that it would be lower than the 7-year itch, but since
>   VM is supposed to be for those rare occasions when you REALLY need it...

>NO! NO! NO!
>
>You can't do this & with good reason. VM is slow as it is being on a
>secondary storage device. I wouldn't want to wait for pages to swap over
>a network!

I am sure that all those people out there with diskless Sun 3/50's and
3/60's would agree with you.  But you can do it and people have done
it for years. (Dare I say close to a decade?)

>A general note to anyone: If you don't know that much about VM and how
>it's to be used, grab a good intro book on UNIX or Operating Systems.

A general note to those who preech:  If you don't know your history be
prepared to be told you are wrong.  How do you think all of those
diskless Suns out there do virtual memory?  No, they do not have tiny
little disks hidden in them.  They swap over the network.  It is not
bad if you have at least 8 meg of memory.  But I still wouldn't trade
my IPC for it. :-)

>The network disk for VM space concept is clearly against the VM
>philosophy!

To the best of my knowledge, there is not such thing as a VM
philosophy.  If you have a fiber-optic network or most of your
machines have 4 meg or more, I don't think swapping over a network
would be that bad.  Probably not nearly as bad as having to keep
stopping and restarting Word 4 on a Mac Plus.
--
Kevin Kuehl
krk@cs.purdue.edu

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (05/14/91)

In article <MLBARROW.91May12184059@mountain-dew.mit.edu> mlbarrow@athena.mit.edu (Michael L Barrow) writes:
>In article <2728@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) writes:
>

>   Does anyone happen to know if you can use server disk space for Virtual
>   Memory?  I realize that it would be lower than the 7-year itch, but since
>   VM is supposed to be for those rare occasions when you REALLY need it...
>

>NO! NO! NO!
>
>You can't do this & with good reason. VM is slow as it is being on a
>secondary storage device. I wouldn't want to wait for pages to swap over
>a network!
>
>A general note to anyone: If you don't know that much about VM and how
>it's to be used, grab a good intro book on UNIX or Operating Systems.
>The network disk for VM space concept is clearly against the VM
>philosophy!

Which, of course, is exactly why SUN uses the network disk for its VM
storage on diskless Sparcstations (that and the fact that there is NO
local disk...). Now if the Mac could use its AppleShare servers for VMspace,
we could slow down to Sparc speeds...

Note to flamers - I am writing this on a Sparc. The Network REALLY affects
the speed of the machine's operation. In order to avoid VM swapping, our
Sparcs have LOTS of memory (12 megs or so). Still, my IIci (and its 120 megs
of local storage) runs circles around the Sparc...

Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib/7