[comp.sys.mac.system] Multitasking: Oh Shut Up

ech@cbnewsk.att.com (ned.horvath) (05/07/91)

From article <15931@helios.TAMU.EDU>, by jeff@archone.tamu.edu (Jeff Raymond):
> ...MultiFinder is NOT multitasking...[for 50 lines or so]

This statement is false; I have replied to the author at length by mail,
and I shall be happy to correspond with anyone else who wants to beat this
dead horse.  Keep it out of this group please, we've all heard it too many
times before.

Worse, the statement is irrelevant.  I shall continue to compile, upload,
fileShare, and print in background, and write frequent WaitNextEvent's
into my own code.  I don't need "truer" multitasking than that.

Now, more RAM and a faster processor, THOSE I could *always* use...

=Ned Horvath=
ehorvath@attmail.com
--

=Ned Horvath=
ehorvath@attmail.com

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May7.061330.4965@cbnewsk.att.com> ech@cbnewsk.att.com (ned.horvath) writes:
> From article <15931@helios.TAMU.EDU>, by jeff@archone.tamu.edu (Jeff Raymond):
> > ...MultiFinder is NOT multitasking...[for 50 lines or so]

> This statement is false

Agreed.  As an aside, I sometimes define multitasking as something that I do
on a personal level.  In this context, any program that allows me to keep
more than one document open at a time allows me to multitask, so I call
computers that run this software multi-tasking.  The acid test is that I
have to be able to switch instantly between the documents to aviod losing
a thought before I can get it written down.

Using this definition, most Mac programs with multiple documents under
uni-finder qualify as multi-tasking, and any programs running under
multi-finder qualify.  UNIX on a Sun qualifies, but not on a TTY (no
windowing or instant switching).  PCs do not qualify, not even Windows
(to difficult to switch between programs).

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications, Ltd.                        ...uunet!tcnet!newave!john

mike@maths.tcd.ie (MIKE ROGERS) (05/14/91)

In article <824@newave.UUCP>, john@newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III) wrote:
>windowing or instant switching).  PCs do not qualify, not even Windows
>(to difficult to switch between programs).

	How so? e.g. <click> Minimize App1
	             <click> Maximize App2

The inherent difficulty would seem to have escaped me :-)
--
Mike Rogers,Box 6,Regent Hse,## We're dying from the moment we're conceived,
TCD,EIRE. <mike@maths.tcd.ie>##	Time wins, always.