[comp.sys.mac.system] Cooperating on Sys7 distribution

francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (05/10/91)

Somebody just wrote to me, "Guess what I'm going to be doing Monday
night? Boy, apple.com is going to be one busy machine."

Let's stop and think about this.  news.lists estimates 43,000 people
reading this group, 64,000 reading comp.sys.mac.misc.  (And, strangely
enough, 28,000 reading comp.sys.mac.) Say 5% of those 64K decide to
FTP System 7.  That'll be 3,000+ file transfers from that poor machine,
at about 5.6M per, a total of 16.8G.

Look at bandwidth considerations.  The fastest FTP transfer I've ever
seen (between here and some place in Wisconsin) was something like
50K/sec (I know there're probably some faster, but very rare).  Say
the average is about 20K/sec (probably actually a bit less).  Not
considering *any* CPU difficulties with doing many, many transfers at
once, that's something on the order of a megasecond to do all these
transfers from apple.com.  A megasecond is over 10 days.  This is a
*major* problem.  (For the moment, I'm not even considering the netlag
& other factors that'll slow things down even more.)

What can we do here? Obvious thing is *wait a while*.  Maybe get it
from dealers (the bandwidth of physically distributed disks is pretty
high--consider a station wagon full of HD disks).  If you can't or
don't want to deal with that, wait a few days before FTPing.  And go
in with friends: download it once, and copy the disks.  (Or even
download to one machine, then transfer it by email--your local
resources won't be getting clobbered like Apple's.)

Now, I'm not so naive as to think people will cooperate enough to make
this work.  Of course not.  (Even if they did, it'd be pretty silly
for *everybody* to wait.  What if everybody waited exactly three days?
:-) We need to share the burden.  Can we (with Apple's consent, of
course) get other FTP sites set up to distribute Sys7? Will sumex &
rascal have it in their mirrors? Will some other sites donate some
resources here? (I hate asking for stuff like this when I can't give
it myself--I would if I were a sysadmin.  :-) If Apple won't consent
to redistributing like this, maybe they could set up a mail-based
server, which could queue the requests and fill them much more slowly
than FTP does, thus letting them stretch out the strain on their
resources.

Any other suggestions? Anybody willing to play host?

--
/============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

cjeff@ghoti.lcs.mit.edu (Carl J.M. Alexander) (05/10/91)

Indeed, if everybody tries to get it via ftp from apple.com, it will be
a real zoo.  There *are* alternatives.  I've been told (never mind the
source except to say it's good enough) that Apple is accelerating the
process of getting the software and license updates out th BBSs that
have System Software distribution licenses.  And don't forget your
friendly local users group.  The Boston Computer Society's Mac group
plans to be in position to distribute System 7 en masse within ten days
of the official release.

--Carl Alexander
News Editor, The Active Window
cjeff@ghoti.lcs.mit.edu

wangh@beasley.CS.ORST.EDU (Haiyan Wang) (05/10/91)

In article <FRANCIS.91May10000430@arthur.uchicago.edu> francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:

>Somebody just wrote to me, "Guess what I'm going to be doing Monday
>night? Boy, apple.com is going to be one busy machine."
>
>Let's stop and think about this.  news.lists estimates 43,000 people
>reading this group, 64,000 reading comp.sys.mac.misc.  (And, strangely
>enough, 28,000 reading comp.sys.mac.) Say 5% of those 64K decide to
>FTP System 7.  That'll be 3,000+ file transfers from that poor machine,
>at about 5.6M per, a total of 16.8G.
>
>Look at bandwidth considerations.  The fastest FTP transfer I've ever
>seen (between here and some place in Wisconsin) was something like
>50K/sec (I know there're probably some faster, but very rare).  Say
>the average is about 20K/sec (probably actually a bit less).  Not
>considering *any* CPU difficulties with doing many, many transfers at
>once, that's something on the order of a megasecond to do all these
>transfers from apple.com.  A megasecond is over 10 days.  This is a
>*major* problem.  (For the moment, I'm not even considering the netlag
>& other factors that'll slow things down even more.)
>
>Any other suggestions? Anybody willing to play host?

If Apple is willing to let other FTP site to have system 7.0, they will have
a much easier time on May 13.

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/10/91)

In article <FRANCIS.91May10000430@arthur.uchicago.edu>, francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:

>Somebody just wrote to me, "Guess what I'm going to be doing Monday
>night? Boy, apple.com is going to be one busy machine."
> [various other observations about what will happen...]

Well, I seriously doubt that Apple will consent to letting any other site
have the System Software available for FTP.  Shoot, if Apple's lawyers
-really- knoew what you could do on the Internet, they probably wouldn't
let apple.com exist.

Perhaps Mark ought to put a anon login limit on apple.com, similar to what they
have over at sumex?

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu (05/10/91)

Cooperating on 7.0 distribution is a great idea.

In article <FRANCIS.91May10000430@arthur.uchicago.edu>,
francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes...

>What can we do here? Obvious thing is *wait a while*.

That would be nice, but ... I was thinking along the lines
of an e-mail distribution tree -- assuming that's OK with Apple.
I also agree that it would make sense to put "mirror" copies
on other sites, but even with that there will be a logjam.

At present, no one knows what form the release will take.  There
are six HD disks images in the version I've seen.  Compressed
they run from 1200K to 800K.  Any volunteers to organize a tree?

Any other suggestions (besides abstinence from ftp-ing) that
could cut down a potentially crippling ftp load on apple.com?

-- Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

gaines@mars.njit.edu (Starman) (05/11/91)

>The following note from Mark Johnson has appeared on apple.com:
>
>System 7.0 will NOT be posted on Apple.com (130.43.2.2), so do not bother

This is starting to really annoy me. I'm sorry, every week it's a
different quote from a different Apple person and it's always
yes/no/yes/no. It's almost as if they're saying yes on the even weeks,
no on the odd weeks. What is Apple going to gain by keeping 6.0.7 on
ftp.apple.com? NOBODY will want it. I would guess that's a waste of
resources, eh? I'm still waiting for a message on comp.sys.mac.announce.

"They can fly rings around the moon,	      |		 Mike
but we're years ahead of them on the highway" |	  gaines@mars.njit.edu
			System 7 on an 800K floppy? HA!

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (05/11/91)

Well, *if* System7 will be up on an apple FTP site somehwere, we can
easily reduce the load by "giving" system 7 to 5 freinds (via email,
ftp, disks, whatever), who then give 7.0 to 5 friends, etc.  If I were
the first one, and I FTP'd it from apple.com (a purely hypothetical
case, apparently, now), then the first 5 to email me would get 7.0
from me.  The rest would get (randomly) distributed to the 5, who
would perform the same algorithm ad nauseum.

Any takers?  The key is that everyone who's a supplier have decent net
connections.

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

lentz@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Robert A. Lentz) (05/11/91)

In article <53216@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu writes:
>Cooperating on 7.0 distribution is a great idea.
>
>In article <FRANCIS.91May10000430@arthur.uchicago.edu>,
>francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes...
>
>>What can we do here? Obvious thing is *wait a while*.
>Any other suggestions (besides abstinence from ftp-ing) that
>could cut down a potentially crippling ftp load on apple.com?
>
>-- Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

If only one person at each site (here being university or company or
whatever) were to download it and let others who might attempt to ftp it
know that they can save some netbandwitdth and obtain it from him, this
might help, though unfortunately probably technically illegal according to
the license under which we ftp it.

Robert A. Lentz		    |   "The dreamers are the ones who conceive of
lentz@casbah.acns.nwu.edu   |    what could happen and the scientists are
the ones who make it happen. The best of humanity are those who combine
both traits." 	-Geordi, _Vendetta_ by Peter David

wangh@beasley.CS.ORST.EDU (Haiyan Wang) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.233305.15754@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> lentz@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Robert A. Lentz) writes:

>If only one person at each site (here being university or company or
>whatever) were to download it and let others who might attempt to ftp it
>know that they can save some netbandwitdth and obtain it from him, this
>might help, though unfortunately probably technically illegal according to
>the license under which we ftp it.

Is it possible for those `smart' apple lawers to sign some sort of documents
so people can put system 7.0 on other ftp site for a short period of time,
say one week?

Just a wild guess.

Guangliang He
ghe@physics.orst.edu

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May11.054749.14615@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> wangh@beasley.CS.ORST.EDU (Haiyan Wang) writes:

>Is it possible for those `smart' apple lawers to sign some sort of documents
>so people can put system 7.0 on other ftp site for a short period of time,
>say one week?

Regardless of where you get System 7.0 (upgrade kits, etc.) it is currently
ILLEGAL to redistribute System Software via FTP or other electronic means
without a license from Apple Software Licensing.  Fortunately, many User
Groups and larger BBS systems have System Software redistribution licenses
which allows them to redistribute.  We have been able to distribute things
from Apple machines because we also have a license for our own site.  So
although no one can stop you from giving floppy disk copies of System Software
to your friends and associates (or doing a net install -- much more effective
if you have an AFP server), it would NOT be a good idea to make System 7.0
or other system software available on FTP sites without the proper license.

--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

ralph@cbnewsj.att.com (Ralph Brandi) (05/12/91)

In article <FRANCIS.91May10000430@arthur.uchicago.edu> francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:

>Somebody just wrote to me, "Guess what I'm going to be doing Monday
>night? Boy, apple.com is going to be one busy machine."

...with a lot of short logins until people realize that System 7.0
isn't there.

There *is*, however, a new directory on ftp.apple.com called
"watch_this_space".  I have no idea what they plan on putting
there.
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@mtunq.att.com     att!mtunq!ralph

R.I.P. Radio Canada International   1942-1991

wangh@beasley.CS.ORST.EDU (Haiyan Wang) (05/12/91)

In article <52759@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:
>In article <1991May11.054749.14615@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> wangh@beasley.CS.ORST.EDU (Haiyan Wang) writes:
>>
>>Is it possible for those `smart' apple lawers to sign some sort of documents
>>so people can put system 7.0 on other ftp site for a short period of time,
>>say one week?
>>

>Regardless of where you get System 7.0 (upgrade kits, etc.) it is currently
>ILLEGAL to redistribute System Software via FTP or other electronic means
>without a license from Apple Software Licensing.

Yes. I know. That is why I sugested apple lawers to sign temp. licenses. If
Apple doesn't like this sugestion, forget it. If Apple like this, wait a
minite, do I entitle any loyalty for this? :-).

>--
>Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
>Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
>Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson
>
>"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
>                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

Haiyan Wang                           Go Blazers!!!
wangh@ucs.orst.edu                    Go Blazers!!!

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (05/15/91)

In article <52759@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:
>if you have an AFP server), it would NOT be a good idea to make System 7.0
>or other system software available on FTP sites without the proper license.

Ah, well, sigh. Ok, I withdraw my offer for that sun as a temporary site, then.
--
Ian Chai      Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu      Bitnet: 2fntnougat@ukanvax
I don't believe in flaming. If I appear to be flaming, either (a) it's an