[comp.sys.mac.system] MacroMaker- has system 7 killed it?

umh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (05/14/91)

Like everyone else I rushed out to get my (manual-free) copy of System 7 today,
spent a few hours backing up the hard drive and installing and trying to figure
out which INITs and cdevs I can still use. At the end of that I have some
questions:

1) No macromaker seems to come with system 7. I copied my system 6 macromaker
into the extension folder, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Are my days of
being able to force my editor to look like the unix jove editor over?

2) The finder find command seems very fast. However can you tell it not to
present me with an icon of the file its found, but to show me where the file is
(you know- something like disk20:folder1:folder2:looked_for_filw like the old
findfile DA used to do). I've fiddled with views but nothing there seems
promising.

3) I have a b/w SE/30. Can anyone tell us the technical reason why the new
finder is **so** slow with moving icons? If I move say 20 icons in a finder
window dwon say 3 cm, I see each one lovingly drawn in slow motion- do we have
to put up with this?

Maynard Handley

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.010900.4742@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> umh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>1) No macromaker seems to come with system 7. I copied my system 6 macromaker
>into the extension folder, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Are my days of
>being able to force my editor to look like the unix jove editor over?

  We no longer ship MacroMaker with System 7 (obviously).  I don't think we
tried too hard to make sure it remained functional, since there are other
third party macro/scripting products on the market.

>2) The finder find command seems very fast. However can you tell it not to
>present me with an icon of the file its found, but to show me where the file is
>(you know- something like disk20:folder1:folder2:looked_for_filw like the old
>findfile DA used to do). I've fiddled with views but nothing there seems
>promising.

  Find will always bring up the window and select it's icon.  The vast majority
of users will use Find to locate a file so they can use it.  The Finder is
merely catering to this majority.

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     My opinions and so on and so forth...