[comp.sys.mac.system] Sys 7.0 and 8:24 card compatability?

brownrigg@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (05/15/91)

I was reading this weeks INFO WORLD, where the statment was made that System
7.0 is not compatable with Apple's 8:24 GL (sic) card.

Does anyone know if this extends to the 8:24 card; i.e., the version without
the graphics co-processor?

I've tried to install Sys. 7.0 on a IIci with the 8:24.  Seems to work OK
until I move some of my old (but compatable) INITs, etc. into the system
folder.  At that point, upon re-boot the system fails to come up, complaining
with an "unimplemented trap" error.  The system file must be mortally corrupted
at this point, because removing the INITs does NOT remove the problem.
The annoying part is a collegue in the building is up and running fine with
these same extensions, on a IIci WITHOUT the 8:24.  I can't explain it....

I like my 8:24, but if it comes down to it...I'll yank the muther out...

Rick Brownrigg
Kansas Geological Survey

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here for the beer) (05/16/91)

brownrigg@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>Does anyone know if this extends to the 8:24 card; i.e., the version without
>the graphics co-processor?

It works fine on mine. It works fine on the 8.24GC card, except the
acceleration aspects are disabled (i.e., it becomes a very expensive 8.24
card until the updated INIT is released)

--
Chuq Von Rospach >=< chuq@apple.com >=< GEnie:CHUQ or MAC.BIGOT >=< ALink:CHUQ
     SFWA Nebula Awards Reports Editor    =+=    Editor, OtherRealms

Recommended: ORION IN THE DYING TIME Ben Bova (Tor, Aug, ***-); SACRED
VISIONS Greeley&Cassutt (Tor, Aug, ****+); MEN AT WORK George Will (****);
XENOCIDE Orson Scott Card (August, ****)

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.105459.30759@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> brownrigg@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>I was reading this weeks INFO WORLD, where the statment was made that System
>7.0 is not compatable with Apple's 8:24 GL (sic) card.
>
>Does anyone know if this extends to the 8:24 card; i.e., the version without
>the graphics co-processor?

  7.0 is only incompatible with the 8*24 GC card when it's in the graphics
acceleration mode.  When acceleration is turned off, it should work fine, as
does the 8*24.

  The reason for this is that the Extension which accelerates quickdraw is
not compatible with 7.

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********