[comp.sys.mac.system] 7.0 Compatability Report-comments welcomed.

frautschi@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (05/16/91)

Dear users,

Here is a copy of our lab's system 7.0 compatability report. It would seem that
We must remain with 6.0.5 for the time being. This is offered as information for
those considering upgrading.

If there are any users who have information about beta compatability, or 7.0
compatability with the "Not avail." programs listed below, I welcome your
words. If I hear from many of you, I will summarize.

Of particular interest are TeXtures 1.2 and VersaTerm PRO (I use these, someone
else presumably is interested in the others, I will try and post your replies
nearby).

         						Mark Frautschi
ATTENTION!  Please read this report carefully - you have some items which may

cause problems with System 7.

YOUR SYSTEM 7 COMPATIBILITY REPORT

Macintosh System 7 has proven compatible with most recent versions of the most

widely used Macintosh software. The developers of these products have provided

Apple with the information that appears in this report.

To make it easier for you to upgrade to System 7, the Compatibility Checker

looks at the software on your hard disks and prepares this report, which tells
you whether you need to take any action before upgrading.

The report lists all your programs and tells you whether they are compatible

with System 7 (if the developer has provided Apple with that information). It

also lists phone numbers in case you need an upgrade or more information from

the developer.

We urge you to follow the recommendations in this report. Although Apple
cannot guarantee that the report will identify all compatibility problems, we

are confident that it will aid you in a smooth transition to System 7.

IMPORTANT   It's always a good idea to back up your hard disk, and especially

your System Folder, before installing new system software.

Disk(s) checked:

Internal 40MB

PLEASE NOTE   The Compatibility Checker has examined the System Folder on your
current startup disk, Internal 40MB. No other System Folders were checked.  If
you want to install System 7 on another startup disk, please start up with that
disk and use the Compatibility Checker again before installing.

o CAUTION   You have security or virus protection software that prohibits
installation.  Before you install System 7, follow the guidelines given below.
The version you have is listed later in this report.

Disinfectant INIT
Turn the software off before installing System 7. If you have version 2.5, you
can turn the software back on after installing. Please contact the developer
for more information.

Following is a list of all items checked. An explanation of categories and
notes appears at the end of the report.

Item                      Your
Checked                   Version  Status         Notes

------------------------  -------  -------------  ---------

Disinfectant              2.4      Compatible
Microsoft Word            4.0      Compatible
Disinfectant INIT         2.4      Compatible
MacDraw II                1.1v1    Mostly comp.   1.1v2  VM
MacWrite II               1.1v1    Mostly comp.   1.1v2  TT
ResEdit                   2.0b2    Mostly comp.   2.1
TeachText                 1.1      Must upgrade   7.0    RI
Microsoft BASIC           2.00     Must upgrade   n/a
HyperCard                 1.2.5    Must upgrade   2.1    RI
CricketGraph              1.3      Must upgrade
Font/DA Mover             3.8      Must upgrade   4.1    UN
HeapFixer                 1.0      Must upgrade   n/a    UN
PackIt III                1.1      Must upgrade   1.3
Redux                     1.01     Must upgrade   2.0    CD
StuffIt Deluxe            1.5.1    Must upgrade   3.0
SUM Tools                 1.11     Must upgrade   2.1
After Dark                1.1.     Must upgrade   2.0u   MO
Super Boomerang           2.0      Must upgrade   3.0    MO
SuperLaserSpool           2.0      Must upgrade          MO
ATM                       1.2      Must upgrade          MO
Edit II                   1.1      Not avail.
BRIDGE 6.0                1.32     Not avail.
VersaTerm PRO             3.0.1    Not avail.
Fractal Wizard            1.5      Not avail.
TETRIS                    1.0      Not avail.
dataThief                 1.0.3    Not avail.
dataThief.9                        Not avail.
StatWorks                 1.2      Not avail.
SuperPaint                         Not avail.
Textures                  1.2      Not avail.
Binhex 4.0                4.0      Not avail.
Compactor                 1.21     Not avail.
Fedit Plus+               1.0.1    Not avail.
Floppy Recover            1.11     Not avail.
Guardian                  1.11     Not avail.
HFS Recover               1.11     Not avail.
HMG ResEdit Primer 5.1    3.6.1b   Not avail.
Scanner                   1.11     Not avail.
Kermit 0.9(40)            0.9      Not avail.
Red Ryder 9.4             9.4      Not avail.
VersaTerm PRO             3.0.1    Not avail.
ZTerm 0.85                0.85     Not avail.
  GateKeeper              1.1.1    Not avail.            MO
  Gatekeeper Aid          1.1      Not avail.            MO
Randomizer                1.1.2b13 Not avail.            MO

This report is based on compatibility information as of 4/25/91

END OF COMPATIBILITY REPORT

Categories used in this report:
---------------------------

Compatible         This version is recommended for use with System 7.

Mostly compatible  This item is compatible with System 7. If you like, you can

                   obtain a more recent version.

Must upgrade       Apple has been told that this version is incompatible with

                   System 7. You need to upgrade to a compatible version to

                   use this item with System 7.

Not available      Apple does not have compatibility information for this

                   item. Please contact the developer directly.

Notes used in this report:
--------------------------
Version numbers    A version number appearing in the Notes column represents

                   the first version of the item that is fully compatible with

                   System 7.

AD  This item does not work with 32-bit addressing. If you have turned on

    32-bit addressing, turn it off before using this program.

CD  Contact the developer of this item for information about a compatible

    version.

FR  A free upgrade is available from the developer.

FS  This item does not work with file sharing. If you have turned on file

    sharing, turn it off before using this program.

MO  This item has been moved into the new folder "May Not Work With System 7."

    Contact the developer of this item for compatibility information.

RI   When you upgrade to System 7, replace this item with the version on the

     System 7 installation disks (or on one of the other disks) included with

     your upgrade materials.

TT  This item does not support TrueType fonts larger than 127 points.

UN  This item is not necessary with System 7.

UP  You can get a compatible version of this item from authorized dealers,

    electronic bulletin boards, and Macintosh user groups.

UR  While this version is mostly compatible with System 7, the developer

    encourages you to upgrade to a more recent version.

VM  This item does not work with virtual memory. If you have turned on virtual

    memory, turn it off before using this program.

Below is contact information for developers of products listed in your report.

(If you are outside the United States, please contact your Apple dealer for
upgrade information.)

Item                       Developer                 Contact at
-----------------------    -----------------------   ------------

Disinfectant               Northwestern University   Number Unavailable
Microsoft Word             Microsoft Corp.           800 426-9400
Disinfectant INIT          Northwestern University   Number Unavailable
MacDraw II                 Claris Corp.              408 727-8227
MacWrite II                Claris Corp.              408 727-8227
ResEdit                    APDA                      800 282-2732
TeachText                  Apple Computer Inc.
Microsoft BASIC            Microsoft Corp.           800 426-9400
HyperCard                  Claris Corp.              408 727-8227
CricketGraph               Computer Associates Intl  800 531-5236
Font/DA Mover              Apple Computer Inc.
HeapFixer                  CE Software               515 224-1953
PackIt III                 Harry Chesley             Number Unavailable
Redux                      Microseeds Publishing In  813 882-8635
StuffIt Deluxe             Alladin Systems           408 685-9175
SUM Tools                  Symantec Corp.            800 441-7234
After Dark                 Berkeley Systems Inc.     415 540-5535
Super Boomerang            Now Software Inc.         503 274-2800
SuperLaserSpool            Fifth Generation Systems  800 873-4384
ATM                        Adobe Systems Inc.        415 961-0911
Edit II                    Not available             Not available
BRIDGE 6.0                 Not available             Not available
VersaTerm PRO              Not available             Not available
Fractal Wizard             Not available             Not available
TETRIS                     Not available             Not available
dataThief                  Not available             Not available
dataThief.9                Not available             Not available
StatWorks                  Not available             Not available
SuperPaint                 Not available             Not available
Textures                   Not available             Not available
Binhex 4.0                 Not available             Not available
Compactor                  Not available             Not available
Fedit Plus+                Not available             Not available
Floppy Recover             Not available             Not available
Guardian                   Not available             Not available
HFS Recover                Not available             Not available
HMG ResEdit Primer 5.1     Not available             Not available
Scanner                    Not available             Not available
Kermit 0.9(40)             Not available             Not available
Red Ryder 9.4              Not available             Not available
VersaTerm PRO              Not available             Not available
ZTerm 0.85                 Not available             Not available
  GateKeeper               Not available             Not available
  Gatekeeper Aid           Not available             Not available
Randomizer                 Not available             Not available

THIS PARTIAL LIST OF COMPATIBLE PRODUCTS IS FOR INFORMATIONAL
PURPOSES ONLY AND CONSTITUTES NEITHER AN ENDORSEMENT NOR A
RECOMMENDATION. ALL PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS AND DESCRIPTIONS WERE
SUPPLIED BY THE PRODUCTS' VENDORS OR SUPPLIERS.
THE TESTING PROCEDURES AND COMPATIBILITY VERIFICATION WERE
CONDUCTED BY THE PRODUCTS' VENDORS OR SUPPLIERS AND ARE NOT WITHIN
THE INFORMATION OF APPLE COMPUTER, INC.  APPLE COMPUTER, INC.
ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY WITH REGARD TO THE SELECTION, PERFORMANCE,
OR USE OF THESE PRODUCTS OR VENDORS.  ALL UNDERSTANDINGS,
AGREEMENTS, OR WARRANTIES, IF ANY, TAKE PLACE DIRECTLY BETWEEN THE
VENDORS AND THE PROSPECTIVE USERS.  APPLE COMPUTER, INC. MAKES NO
WARRANTIES AS TO THE COMPLETENESS OR ACCURACY OF THIS LIST.

flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) (05/16/91)

Previously, frautschi@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu wrote:
>Here is a copy of our lab's system 7.0 compatability report. It would seem
>that We must remain with 6.0.5 for the time being. This is offered as
>information for those considering upgrading.
>If there are any users who have information about beta compatability, or 7.0
>compatability with the "Not avail." programs listed below, I welcome your
>words.
>
>Of particular interest are TeXtures 1.2 and VersaTerm PRO ...
>
>Item                      Your
>Checked                   Version  Status         Notes
>------------------------  -------  -------------  ---------
>VersaTerm PRO             3.0.1    Not avail.

>Item                       Developer                 Contact at
>VersaTerm PRO              Not available             Not available

About 1-2 weeks ago, I got a "newsletter" from whatever Versaterm's
company is that was essentially an upgrade notice for both Versaterm
and Versaterm Pro.  I called them to check on sys 7 compatibility,
which they claimed, and the price was around $20 +/- $5 (sorry, can't
remember).  Includes neat new stuff like implementation of ftp &
telnet.  Can't say why the compatibility checker has no info about
Versaterm Pro.