[comp.sys.mac.system] ftp.apple.com STILL down?

gaines@mars.njit.edu (Starman) (05/15/91)

Does anyone know how much longer ftp.apple.com is going to be down? My
local user group number has been busy for three straight days (DL 12
disks @ 2400 baud..yeah!) and there isn't a dealer in the area willing
to copy the disks. Sigh.......

"They can fly rings around the moon,	      |		 Mike
but we're years ahead of them on the highway" |	  gaines@mars.njit.edu
			System 7 on an 800K floppy? HA!

bochen@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Meathead) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.150616.1235@njitgw.njit.edu> gaines@mars.njit.edu (Starman) writes:
>and there isn't a dealer in the area willing
>to copy the disks. Sigh.......

I think that just about says it all as far as distribution goes.  I
disagree with all the whining about Apple.  They're doing the best
they can given the circumstances.  However, there wouldn't be a
problem IF (Are any dealers out there? Listen up if there are!!)
the dealers would just agree to copy some damn disks for us rather
than giving up their measly $40 (or whatever is it) profit margin.
Everyone knows that the only reason dealers won't let you copy is
sheer greed.  This attitude towards distribution is crap, guys, and
you know it.  I've tried a couple of dealers and neither would bend,
even after I explained the distribution policy.  I am now determined
not to pay $99 at a dealer for this system.  If they were smart
(ha!) they would let everyone copy it for free that asked or maybe
sell the blank disks for you to copy it on.  Why?  I can't believe
that if you have enough Mac afficiondos coming in to a store to get
system 7.0 that a few people wouldn't buy some real hardware and
software.  I believe it would actually help their business.  But,
hey, what do I know?

RRRRRRR!!!!!!

- Brian

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here for the beer) (05/16/91)

>>and there isn't a dealer in the area willing
>>to copy the disks. Sigh.......

>However, there wouldn't be a
>problem IF (Are any dealers out there? Listen up if there are!!)
>the dealers would just agree to copy some damn disks for us rather
>than giving up their measly $40 (or whatever is it) profit margin.

Apple can't make them be nice to customers. Apple, frankly, has enough
problems trying to keep them from ripping customers blind sometimes. (I've
dealt with these dealers, too -- I'm not just an Apple employee, but an
Apple owner)

Dealers get away with this, frankly, because the customers let them. If the
dealer won't put in the time or energy for the little services, he doesn't
deserve your support. People who want to stop this kind of stuff have to put
in a little effort:

o Find a new dealer -- suppor those that are good, ignore those that aren't.
  Sometimes this is inconvenient -- driving 25 minutes instead of 5, maybe
  paying a few more dollars because dealers who also support users can't cut
  prices quite as much (support takes time and money).

o More importantly, if you run into a dealer you won't be doing business
  with, LET THEM KNOW. Not the salesman -- he doesn't care, and in two
  months he'll be back at the car lot pushing Hondas, anyway. Send a letter
  (no phone calls, no screaming in the offices) to the manager of the store,
  pointing out that you used to be a customer of the store, and that you
  plan on spending all your computer money somewhere else because they 're
  too interested in sales to be interested in customers. It is quite helpful
  if you point out just how much money you're going to be giving to their
  competitors ("I was going to buy a IIci in June, but now it won't be from
  you -- because of this $40 cheapsh?t stuff"). I wouldn't do that unless I
  DID plan on buying it, of course. Never lie -- and minimize the inflation
  factor of the budget; talking IIfx when the checkbook says Classic will
  set off their BS detectors. Remember that dealers are experts in BS, and
  don't lower yourself to their level.

>This attitude towards distribution is crap, guys, and
>you know it.  I've tried a couple of dealers and neither would bend,
>even after I explained the distribution policy.

They generally understand money. When a $50 copying policy is affecting
$3000 sales, that they'll understand. but it only helps long-term, and only
if you get involved.

The short-term answer is to (1) try to find a decent dealer, or (2) find and
support a user group like BMUG or BCS and get it from them. You'll get
better support from them, anyway -- much cheaper.

--
Chuq Von Rospach >=< chuq@apple.com >=< GEnie:CHUQ or MAC.BIGOT >=< ALink:CHUQ
     SFWA Nebula Awards Reports Editor    =+=    Editor, OtherRealms

Recommended: ORION IN THE DYING TIME Ben Bova (Tor, Aug, ***-); SACRED
VISIONS Greeley&Cassutt (Tor, Aug, ****+); MEN AT WORK George Will (****);
XENOCIDE Orson Scott Card (August, ****)

kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu (Stephen Kurtzman) (05/16/91)

In article <19413@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> bochen@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Meathead) writes:
>In article <1991May15.150616.1235@njitgw.njit.edu> gaines@mars.njit.edu (Starman) writes:
>>and there isn't a dealer in the area willing
>>to copy the disks. Sigh.......

>Everyone knows that the only reason dealers won't let you copy is
>sheer greed.  This attitude towards distribution is crap, guys, and
>you know it.

I called several authorized apple dealers in my area. None of them had
copies on hand. Two said that they had received copies but had sold
them all. One offered to put me on a waiting list. I asked both of
these stores if they had a machine with system 7 running from which I
could copy the distribution. Both stores said that Apple (!)  was
requiring everyone to buy 7.0 upgrades. Both stores were unfazed when
I told them they were mistaken.

Had these stores said something like "Well, were not copying disks for
people for a few weeks because it would disrupt our normal operations
due to the high demand." I would have thought that reasonable. But it
was clear that they only cared to get the bucks.

I'll be getting my upgrade from the local user group instead.

Of course, while those stores were so anxious to get their slim profit
margin off of me for a version 7 upgrade kit, they removed themselves
from my list of stores to visit when I buy a new mac system in a
couple of months.

--

Stephen Kurtzman             | "love is a minor chord; love is a mental ward;"
kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu      |  love is a drawn sword; love is its own reward."