[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7.0: Problem with VM on SE/30

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/15/91)

%Synopsis of problem:

SE/30 with release version of 7.0 bombs with "Not enough memory is
available..." error when booting with Virtual Memory enabled.  This
only occurs after the Mac has been Shut Down from the Special Menu.
Problem does not occur after a Restart from the Special Menu, reboot
via the Programmer's Switch, or if Shift key is held down (shift key
method works even after Shut Down, but shift key disables VM.)  No
such problem occured during 3 previous weeks of running 7.0b4 with VM
enabled.

%Setup:

Macintosh SE/30, 2 MB RAM, 40 MB HD.
StyleWriter, Racal Vadic 2400VP modem.
System 7.0 (release version from Personal Upgrade Kit [PUK])
- Installed with "System Software for SE/30" Installer option.
- Previous System erased before installation.
- File Sharing not installed.
No extensions other than those installed by System 7.0.
HD driver updated with HD Setup from System 7.0 "Disk Tools" Disk.

%Detailed description of problem:

Note:  Unless otherwise noted, assume that "restart" and "shutdown"
done from Special Menu.

Warning: horribly detailed.  <grin>

After receiving my 7.0 PUK, I followed these steps:

- Cold-booted SE/30 from HD running 7.0b4
- Removed all fonts/sounds/extensions/etc. that I wanted to save and
placed them in a "Refugees" folder on my HD.
- Turned off Virtual Memory.
- Restarted (from Special) so that VM would be turned off.
- Restarted from 6.0.7 System Tools disk.  Threw out the following
items from the HD: Desktop Folder, Trash Folder, 7.0b4 System Folder.
- Copied 6.0.7 System Tools disk System Folder to HD.
- Restarted from HD.  Copied Compatibility Checker onto HD.  Ran it,
and saved report.
- Restarted from 7.0 Disk Tools disk.  Threw out 6.0.7 System Folder
from the HD.  Ran Apple HD SC Setup from Disk Tools floppy.  Updated
HD driver.  Quit HD SC Setup.
- Restarted from 7.0 Install 1 disk.  Did a "custom" upgrade,
selecting the following items for install:  System Software for SE/30,
StyleWriter driver, Imagewriter driver, LaserWriter driver.
- Quit Installer when finsished, and restarted from dialog presented
by Installer.
- That restart booted from the newly installed 7.0 on HD.  Enabled
Virtual Memory (2 additional MB for a total of 4 MB.  32K cache.  Had
used same setup for 7.0b4 without problem).
- Shutdown SE/30.  Powered Down.  Cold-booted.
- At this time, the problem manifested.

Note - none of the items from "refugees" have been re-installed.

Problem is as described in Synopsis.

When rebooting after a Shutdown, be it from power-off/on, Programmer
Switch reset, or Restart option from Shutdown dialog, the following
occurs:

"Happy Mac", "Welcome to Macintosh", followed -quickly- by the bomb
dialog.  Dialog text:

"Not enough memory is available while using
 <blank line>
To temporarily turn off extension, restart and hold down the shift key
                          (Restart)  (Shutdown)"

Selecting Restart will lock up the machine, required a reset via
programmer's switch, or power-off/on.  Booting after that point will
proceed normally without error

Selecting Shutdown will produce a Shutdown dialog with a Restart
button available.  Selecting Restart here will lock up the machine as
above, but the reboot after resetting the Mac (prog switch or power)
will cause the bomb to re-occur.  Rebooting from the Shutdown dialog
via Programmer Switch reset, or power-off/on will also cause the bomb
to re-occur.

The only way(s) discovered thus far to reboot succesfully after the
bomb is encountered are as follows:

- Reboot via power-off/on or prg switch from the bomb dialog

- Select Restart from bomb dialog and reboot via power-off/on or
prg switch after system locks up.

- Select Shutdown from bomb dialog and reboot (while holding shift
key) via power-off/on or prg switch from the Shutdown dialog.

- Select Shutdown from bomb dialog.  Then select Restart from the
Shutdown dialog and reboot (while holding shift key) via power-off/on
or prg switch after the system locks up.

If Virtual Memory is disabled from the Memory Control Panel, none of
the above problems will manifest.

Whew.  Well, that's the problem I'm having.  You may wish to note that
I had no such problems using VM with 7.0b4 (ran 7.0b4 for about 3 weeks
before getting 7.0).  As mentioned, I'm running a virgin install of
7.0.  There is nothing in the System Folder that was placed there by
the System 7.0 install procedure.  The weirdest part is that this only
occurs after a Shutdown - Restart from the Special menu works just
fine, with or without VM.

I'm submitting this to the net, and if nothing comes of it here, then
I'll try my Free Support.  IMHO, I would guess that there is more
technical expertise here than on the Support Line.

Thanks in advance.  If/when I get a fix, I will post it here.
---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

In article <1991May15.150525.29796@zardoz.eng.ohio-state.edu>, gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu writes:
>%Detailed description of problem:
> [...]
>There is nothing in the System Folder that was placed there by
>the System 7.0 install procedure.     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oops.  That should read "...that was NOT placed there..."

---

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.150525.29796@zardoz.eng.ohio-state.edu>, gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu writes:
>%Synopsis of problem:
>
>SE/30 with release version of 7.0 bombs with "Not enough memory is
>available..." error when booting with Virtual Memory enabled.  This
>only occurs after the Mac has been Shut Down from the Special Menu.

Okay, it's fixed.

While I don't know what the problem was, I went ahead and erased that
particular install of System 7.0 from my HD.  Then I re-installed, but
rather than doing the Custom Install I had done before, I let
Installer do the "Easy Install", which consisted of "System Software
for all Macs", "All Printer Drivers", and "File Sharing."

After that install, everything worked fine.

The Custom Install I had done earlier was:
	"System Software for Mac SE/30"
	"StyleWriter"
	"LaserWriter"
	"ImageWriter"

So, to hypothesize, the problem was either just a "bad install" with
some resources getting corrupted during the installation, or there is
an error somewhere in the Install Script(s) that I used for my Custom
Install - an error that isn't present in the scripts used by the "Easy
Install".

Various Suggestions Received:

- Update the HD driver from HD SC Setup (had already done so)
- Check the HD with Disk First Aid (had done so, no errors)
- Rebuild your desktop (done frequently)
- The VM file may be corrupted (I turned off VM and deleted the VM
                                file twice.  No effect)
- Your HD may be highly fragmented - defrag it.
  (Norton said it was "moderately fragmented".  Defragged anyway.
   Error still occured.)
* Reinstall System 7.0 (This is what I did, using Easy Install rather
                        than a Custom Install)
- Reformat your HD (Didn't have to go that far, thank the powers.)

Thanks to all the people who helped, especially Bill Coderre, Philip
Machanick, and Gail at the Apple Upgrade Line.  For those who have
been worrying, the people (well, at least Gail) at the Upgrade Line
were courteous, knowledgeable, and helpful.  I was very impressed, and
Gail wasn't afraid to say "I don't know, I'll have to research that
and call you back."  And she did, with just about every suggestion
that I listed above.

%Case Closed

---