[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7.0 Upgrades

francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (05/15/91)

In article <52814@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:

>The System 7 Finder offers users a new capability known as aliases.  Aliases
>allow all Macintosh users to organize their system the way they prefer and puts
>information just a double-click away.  An alias, usually about 2K in size, of

*WHY* does it take so much space?

>and control panel compatibility before moving to System 7.  The Compatibility
>Checker, available in the United States, includes information on over 650
	  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[...]
>Upgrade Kit and the System 7 Group Upgrade Kit.  Apple will include
  System 7 in
>the box with all new Macintosh computers by mid-summer in the United States.
							^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why just here? Distribution reasons, or does Sys7 include "sensitive
technologies" that the government's weasels don't want leaving the
country?

The former really doesn't seem too likely (at least, for systems in
English)--shipping things around the world is pretty fast; surely they
could make it out by mid-summer.

Of course, translation could slow it down...

--
/============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) (05/15/91)

francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
|*WHY* [do aliases] take so much space?

Geez, guys. You people wanna complain about EVERYTHING.

Do This:

1. Turn on File Sharing on your Mac. Do all the setup junk.
2. Make an alias to your hard disk.
3. Copy the alias to a floppy.
4. CHANGE THE NAME OF YOUR HARD DISK.
5. Go to another mac on the network, in another appletalk zone.
6. Slot the disk and double-click the alias.
7. Type your "owner's password" and USE YOUR HARD DRIVE OVER THE NET.

Cool or what?

Drop a file on an alias of a folder. The right thing happens.
Rename a file and alias it. The right thing happens.
Put an alias in a program, give the program to everyone on your net.
They can all use the alias to find the file, even if the file is
changed or moves.

I repeat: Cool or WHAT?

|Why just here? Distribution reasons, or does Sys7 include "sensitive
|technologies" that the government's weasels don't want leaving the
|country?

System 7 should be the fastest system to be released "internationally"
EVER, in something like >50 versions. This takes time. Of course, they
coulda held up the US version to wait until ALL THE OTHER ONES were
ready. OK with you?

bill coderre
more than ever before

rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert K Shull) (05/15/91)

In article <FRANCIS.91May14232330@arthur.uchicago.edu> francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
>In article <52814@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:
>
>>The System 7 Finder offers users a new capability known as aliases.  Aliases
>>allow all Macintosh users to organize their system the way they prefer and puts
>>information just a double-click away.  An alias, usually about 2K in size, of
>
>*WHY* does it take so much space?

A short test showed aliases are under 1K (usually?), but it's going take
up at least one block no matter what. 2K is probably typical allocation
block size, unless you've got a small hard drive. It appears to store
considerably more than just the pathname of the destination, since it
can automatically find the linked-to file if its moved (and rather quickly
too.)
	Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu				chinet!uokmax!rob

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (05/16/91)

In article <FRANCIS.91May14232330@arthur.uchicago.edu> francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
>In article <52814@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:
>
>>The System 7 Finder offers users a new capability known as aliases.  Aliases
>>allow all Macintosh users to organize their system the way they prefer and puts
>>information just a double-click away.  An alias, usually about 2K in size, of
>
>*WHY* does it take so much space?

That's simple. The file actually uses only about 34 bytes. BUT, everytime
you create a file on a disk, and put something in it, the system uses an
allocation block. On 40 meg hard disks, this is a 1k block of disk. I
believe it is also 1k on floppies. For larger disks, the allocation blocks
are larger. The system also strings allocation blocks together in an
attempt to relieve fragmentation, so it is quite possible to get an extent
of 2k instead of 1k. So, even though the alias file is small, you still use
at least 1k when you create it. Are you REALLY worried about a measly 1k
out of 40 Megabytes or so?

Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib/7

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (05/16/91)

writes:

> >The System 7 Finder offers users a new capability known as aliases.
Aliases
> >allow all Macintosh users to organize their system the way they prefer
and puts
> >information just a double-click away.  An alias, usually about 2K in
size, of

> *WHY* does it take so much space?

Two reasons. First, your disk probably won't allocate any less than a half
a K at a time, maybe no less than a K at a time. All file sizes are
effectively rounded up to the drive's block size.

Second, and more important: an alias is not just a pathname to the
original. It is much more. If it were just a pathname, then renaming your
disk, or your file, or any of the folders above it, or moving it to a
different folder, or moving its folder, would all break the alias.

System 7 aliases can *survive* all of that. They do this by keeping a
*lot* of information about the original file. When you use the alias, the
system tries the simplest, fastest lookup first. If that doesn't work, it
digs more data out of the alias and widens its search until it finally
locates the file, or runs out of places to look. (Yes, aliases *can* be
broken; they're not magical.)

Try it, you'll like it. :-)

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (05/16/91)

In article <FRANCIS.91May14232330@arthur.uchicago.edu> francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
>*WHY* does it take so much space?

  Most of that space is due to the icons in the alias file.  The actual alias
record is only a few hundred bytes at most.

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     My opinions and so on and so forth...

TOGE@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Nobukazu Toge) (05/16/91)

Dean and all good folks at Apple -

I would like to thank you and congratulate you on the much-awaited
system 7.  Considering the thickness of InsideMac VI, all the alpha/beta
testing / debugging, developer support, manual development, etc etc, I
say that you've done a monumental amount of work without MUCH flaws, and
on schedule (well, I mean the "latest" schedule).

I hope that all the end users will receive sys 7 PRETTY soon, and this
experience lets you get the system 8 done even more smoothly.

- Nobu Toge (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center)
  Only my personal opinion based on my observations or my thinking.
  Neither Stanford University nor U.S. Department of Energy is
  responsible for this posting.

jba@gorm.ruc.dk (Jan B.Andersen) (05/16/91)

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) writes:

>System 7 should be the fastest system to be released "internationally"
>EVER, in something like >50 versions. This takes time. Of course, they
>coulda held up the US version to wait until ALL THE OTHER ONES were
>ready. OK with you?

It would have been OK with me! On the other hand, I was very
pleased to hear from my local Apple Center (tuesday, Denmark), that I
would be able to get the U.S. version if I just brought the disks.
--
     / | /  RUC, Hus 19,1     jba@dat.ruc.dk      { o_o }    | SIMULA does it |